Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been having some fun with the Z06 and due to my financial situation, don't think I can continue to own the car. I'm looking to trade it in on something a little more feasible for me financially.

I'm not looking to sell it yet, but need to get some ducks in a row before I go out and about on this.

My sig has most of my mods in it. Recently the transmission and clutch were replaced. The trans is from Fkmuro. When I trade and/or sell the car it will also have the stock transmission that needs to be rebuilt.

As of right now the car has 145,000 miles on it.

Here are the things that could/should be replaced:
Clear coat peeling on nose
Emblems are gone
Door damage on the driver's side
HUD bezel cracked
Driver's side seat leather ripped
Knee bolster has broken tabs
Center console was altered to fit Avic D3, but pro that did somewhat of a hack job.

The questions on that are which of these things should be fixed or replaced, and possibly how much do you think it would affect the trade in or resale?

The last question deals with a catch 22 in a way. I understand that if I trade it in I wont get the max value of the car, but it will be taken as a trade and I will be done with it. If I resale personally I could get more money, but have no clue when/if it would be purchased by somebody else.

Any and all guidance is welcomed,

Thank you,

Josh

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just remember that in most cases, mods don't help the value of the vehicle. They don't usually hurt it much either although some car lots won't take a modded vehicle depending on the mods. The mileage, imho, is what will hurt you the most. The door damage concerns me as well. The other stuff can mostly be overlooked depending on the extent of the problem but without being able to see for myself, i couldn't tell you for sure.

Try to find some places that will buy the car outright and see what they'll pay for it. But, go in prepared. Look up NADA and KBB to get a ball park of what to ask for. Be realistic. Your pride and joy is just another car to someone else (especially a dealer).

If you're considering selling it to a dealer, sit down and figure out how much of a loss you're willing to take. While you're at it, figure out how long you can hang on to the car waiting for it to sell. Figure out what's more important, less money NOW or more money LATER. Also remember, just like buying from a dealer, you can also negotiate when selling to a dealer. Don't be afraid to walk away if they won't offer what you want (this works surprisingly well! Try it some time! haha).

I have bought and sold a lot of cars in my day and i have been a salesman at dealerships (i hated it btw, but learned a lot). Of all the cars i've owned i have only sold two cars to dealers and both times it's because i needed the money NOW.

Sorry for being long winded, but this is a subject i'm oddly passionate about.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Wow, just kkb.com ed your car, it said for an 02 zo6 in good shape - trade in value... $11,800. Hawaii is higher priced than most places. The miles kill'the value. I would sell. Trippy, because 2000'and up c5s are selling in he 20k range over here, even with high miles.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked up the kbb on my car and said "fair" to a dealer, b/c they are normally out to pay as little as possible and sell for as much as possible. That is just the way it works. The value was about 8995 or so for fair. I'm willing to let it go for that, but sucks because I know it's worth more, to me, lol. I appreciate the long windedness because I need as much advice with this situation as possible.

I'm set on getting a decent low mileage Silverado, due to the prices on trucks and the fact that I'm going to need one in the near future. I can't keep asking my dad to borrow his truck, ya know? Plus I will need to tow the Stingray back home if my fiancee and I get a bigger house.

The door damage isn't too bad, but is an eyesore. I basically backed into the garage door track trying to be quiet in our neighborhood. I was pushing the car out of the garage and trying to minimize the noise. Stupid me.

There are a few upgrades to the car. Question though, Is it a bad idea to take out the DVD/NAV head unit and replace it with a stocker? I guess what I'm asking is will that have a huge affect on the price?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
54 Posts
What you should do if you can is make the car look as stock and as good as you can.

If you can, get the door repaired, if you have the stock radio put it back in.

the miles are going to kill you and if you trade it you may as well be giving it away dealers or places that buy cars are out to steal them sell the car to someone that will appreciate it.

If you can sell off the mods that can be removed by yourself if you have someone willing to trade for stock parts. plus some cash that would help you out.

If someone wants your mods and is willing to do the work changing the parts,, be careful and make sure they don't cut corners and leave bolts out in the process making your car useless.

I debated about putting miles on my 02Z when I had it, I'm very happy I didn't I let it go with 14K on the clock for $30K

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I find it interesting that a 6 speed coupe of the same year and same miles, also in fair shape, is worth only $200 less on a trade in

A friend just traded in a 01 6 speed with 112,000 miles, in great shape and got $13,000.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The salesman this weekend told me that it's basically what they are going for in auction at the time. All my go fast goodies, lol, wont be worth anything. But to be honest they may actually detract from potential buyers as well.

Maybe I can get on the Meachem auction website and track current prices?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would clean it up real nice and post some pics on craiglist. Price it high why you are waiting and you might get lucky. I put mine on craigslist about twice a year. I pick a price usually about 5,000 more than what I paid and if it goes I will be able to get a newer one.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea. I will have to do that after I get it back from Chevrolet once they get the slave cylinder replaced and clutch okayed.

Josh

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't know if you have Carmax down there but that is usually my first stop. They'll give you a cash offer on the spot. I have found their offers to be considerably less than I can sell the vehicle for (usually 3-5k less than I am able to get selling it myself) but it will give you a baseline of what you can get right now without having to buy one of their cars. You can use that to negotiate with another dealer too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Sorry to see you might get rid of your Z :( You could make a few bucks by parting out the headers and putting stock manifolds / h pipe in.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The salesman this weekend told me that it's basically what they are going for in auction at the time. All my go fast goodies, lol, wont be worth anything. But to be honest they may actually detract from potential buyers as well.

Maybe I can get on the Meachem auction website and track current prices?

Thanks
Go fast goodies = user could have gone fast for awhile, putting additional wear on engine, car. If I was looking at a car with lots of nice mods, I would want less mileage.

you say the car will have the original trans that needs rebuilt, will it also have the good
trans with it?

I agree mileage will really hurt resale value, but atleast you got your fun out of it!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I'll trade you my stock suspension for your pfadt one....will help your resale value! :laughing::partyon:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All should be a done deal by now. Push came to shove and the Z06 had to go today. I basically got pay off value out of it got a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab(maybe Crew cab). It's black with the DVD/Nav.

Reason for push becoming shove:

I recently went in to do the trans swap and clutch swap in the Vette on my own. I did all the work and forgot that the Slave cylinder should be replaced. Needless to say the slave started to leak. I took the car into the Chevrolet center to have that verified and then replaced. They said 640 or so to do that, but can't guarantee the clutch isn't oil soaked. I informed them that if the clutch is messed up I will get a new one from Autozone, seeing that it had all of 5 miles on it. Service writer didn't see a problem with it. Told me it would cost $500 to drop the headers out of the way to do the work. That tells me $80/hr X 6.25hrs. I installed them in 2 with just enough clearance on my back. I questioned that part of the deal and got a call back an hour later. The Service manager no longer felt comfortable doing the work. I then had it towed to another Dealer and got worse news. "Lots of bolts missing and broken. Lots more problems with it. We can only work on an time basis, b/c we can't estimate how long it will take." That means they wanted an open ticket on me. My mom went by to talk to her Dodge dealer, b/c she's in the market for a Challenger and happened to tell them. They basically told her get the car down and they'll take it as is for $5k. I know it's not all I was hoping for, but I'm not going to be out of pocket that $2k+. He took the Z06 and my mom's '99 Intrepid w/229k miles on it as trade ins and sold my parents a brand new Challenger with the V6, but decked out interior (it's for my mom, lol - no HEMI) and my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab w/DVD & Nav with only 29000 miles on it plus its 4x4.

In the short run (2years) it will more than likely save me a few thousand due to the repairs that will be needed on the Vette, i.e. suspension will need rebuilt, motor doesn't have too long left on it, Rear diff has to be hurting(looked good though). I would have had to replace quite a bit to keep it going over the long run. Now I get peace of mind with the 8yr/80,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for all the information guys. It all made a lot of sense to me.

Josh

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
hell i woulda taken it as is for 5k no doubt, even woulda picked it up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts