Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100924/ap_on_hi_te/as_china_japan_rare_earths

TOKYO – China has halted exports to Japan of rare earth elements — which are crucial for advanced manufacturing — trading company officials said Friday amid tensions between the rival Asian powers over a territorial dispute.

Japan imports 50 percent of China's rare earth shipments. Rare earth are metallic elements crucial for manufacturing superconductors, computers, hybrid electric cars and other high-tech products.

The two trading company officials said the shipments were suspended on Tuesday. Companies using the rare metals are believed to have stockpiles that could last several months.

"We are told that only Japan-bound shipments were suspended. The Chinese side did not give any reasons for the suspension," said an official at a major Japanese trading house.

Another trading house official also said China's rare earth exports to Japan were halted on Tuesday. "We don't know when the exports will resume," he said.

The company officials declined to be named as they were not authorized to talk to the media.

China and Japan have locked horns over the sovereignty of small islands in the East China Sea.

mmmmmmmmboy.....

Nobody know how to play nice in a sand box.....:lookinup:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Assuming this is true then that sucks for Japan and China and is good for us, Japan will have to pay more for rare earth metals, China will have to sell their products for less money elsewhere and the rest of the world will pick up the slack left by china and be able to make more money.

Oh course I'm pretty sure that this is illegal, If I'm not mistaken the world trade organization prohibits countries from discriminating who they trade with, that's what happened in 2002 back when George Bush put tariffs on imported steel and the rest of the world threatened to retaliate by restricting US exports which eventually ended the Bush steel tariff about a year later.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Assuming this is true then that sucks for Japan and China and is good for us, Japan will have to pay more for rare earth metals, China will have to sell their products for less money elsewhere and the rest of the world will pick up the slack left by china and be able to make more money.

Oh course I'm pretty sure that this is illegal, If I'm not mistaken the world trade organization prohibits countries from discriminating who they trade with, that's what happened in 2002 back when George Bush put tariffs on imported steel and the rest of the world threatened to retaliate by restricting US exports which eventually ended the Bush steel tariff about a year later.
There is an error in your logic however.

You are assuming the WTO is a just organization and the rules apply equally among it members. This is seldom the case.

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
There is an error in your logic however.

You are assuming the WTO is a just organization and the rules apply equally among it members. This is seldom the case.

Well I sure hope that is not the case!

:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts