Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you real race car guys trailer your car to a race, what type tie downs do you use? Over the tire, around the suspension, or just hook into the frame? I've got an enclosed trailer for long distance shows that I couldn't afford to DRIVE to, but there's are 4 tie down points in the floor that are very much in the WRONG places to do any good. So I need to find out what works for everyone and install floor tiedowns as I need to.. Advice is appreciated!:cheers: TIA

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Tim, and old friend racing SCCA has used up and over tire tie downs, one each wheel....far as the trailer itself/steel loops, I can't help....I just remembe using the wheel ties, thought it kinda strange, I think it saved weight from any brackets/braces, and saved any chassis/frame loading, things like alignment?? I dunno....

·
Registered
959 Posts
I go through the two lower a-frames in the front and hook into the back of both t-arms in the rear (providing you don`t have a rear swaybar).....been doing it the same way for 11 years. ...redvetracr

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have been using 10,000 lb soft straps around the lower suspension. It is easy to add tie points, just locate your trailer cross members router out an impression in the floor and bolt flush mount tie downs at the cross members.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I had three inch wide soft straps made to hook the same way redvette does.. most of the time the tires are too wide for tire straps

You can buy the straps from most trailer supply co.

I use a wrench to pull the car on the trailer.. It really makes loading much easier.
Wenches have been known to hold tight....

:devil: :devil: :rolling:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I just finished towing mine 2300 miles from Chicago to Colorado to New Mexico and back. I used axl straps around the lower A-arms and the rear sway bars. Then I hooked the axl sraps with 2" "trucker" ratchet straps to the corner eyelets and it didn't move an inch on the trailer.......IMHO always tie down below the suspension.

I'll post some pics when I get home.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. My next purchase is going to be an electric 5000lb winch. I could drive the car in, but I couldn't open the door to get out. And now, knowing how you guys tie it down, I can place the hooks in the floor for max strength.

Thanks--:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Tim here's what i can do for you,since you are wanting to cut holes in my new motor to help me out :laughing: I am going to help you out,in my barn beside your trailer,there is a big ol'e Stihl chainsaw,i will cut some extra holes in your floor for you :rolling: then you can run those straps anywhere you want. I can get on that tommorow for you :thumbsup: NO NO there's no need to thank me it's the least i can do for you.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim here's what i can do for you,since you are wanting to cut holes in my new motor to help me out :laughing: I am going to help you out,in my barn beside your trailer,there is a big ol'e Stihl chainsaw,i will cut some extra holes in your floor for you :rolling: then you can run those straps anywhere you want. I can get on that tommorow for you :thumbsup: NO NO there's no need to thank me it's the least i can do for you.

Kevin
Hey no problem there. Just make sure the holes are neat and in the correct place. I think the holes should be set so the straps pull at about a 45* angle front and rear. And don't forget that I need to put some chocks in for the bike too. And the floor itself is not very thick (3/4 I think) so don't screw up your chainsaw!! :rolling:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts