Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone know of a trailer that is capable of holding a full set of tires for a regular C6? Even better if it can hold two sets of tires.

And yes, I want to put a hitch on the vette and haul the tires.

Thanks,

Cedric

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Googling has returned things like this: http://www2.northerntool.com/trailers-trailer-parts/trailers/item-12542.htm

According to tire rack the tires I have require 774 revolutions to the mile.
I therefore deduce that the circumference of the tire is about 2 meters, as such the diameter is slightly over 66 cm.

That trailer is 1 meter 20 by 1 meter, so I can't put two sets side by side. 66 cm times two is 1 m 32 plus a couple of cm for play, which is beyond the 1 m 20 of the trailer.

However I soon as I can find a paper and a pencil, I should be able to see if two sets fit in diagonally :D

a++ Cedric

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, after a bit of maths, if I put the rear tires set diagonally across, laying down, the diagonal of the trailer is 4 cm too short.

Now 4cm out of 1m60 is little and possibly this can fit by over lapping a bit.

But if I then add the smaller tire I'm stuck because the smaller tires have a diameter of 63 cm and the larger tires a diameter 66cm.
Therefore in this configuration, tires lying flat, I need a trailer that is 1m20 in length.

Back to the drawing board ....:smack

The alternative is to raise the platform above the tires and let my tires overflow.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Raise the frame to the top of the fenders and extend the floor to the edge of the fenders.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Small Harbor Freight Trailer

By eliminating the storage box and extending the platform, you could carry 2 sets of tires. I find the storage box handy though.
Enjoy.
Roy.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Roy,

I like your layout and have a tool case in the same style as yours. I was thinking about doing something in this style (wheels and tool case) but with no precis idea.

Thank you for the photos they are a good inspiration :thumbsup:

Regards,

Cedric

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I saw a C5 in a pic a long time ago that had a tray installed into the reese hitch. The setup allowed for four tires to be transported if I remember correctly. Honestly now that I think about it the car looks similar to forum member's JBSBlownC5. I'll see if I can find a pic to show what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another solution:

The question would be what roof racks did he purchase?

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Another solution:

The question would be what roof racks did he purchase?

a++ Cedric
A bit confused here. It looks like he is in front of a sign for VIR(Virginia International Raceway?) but that car appears to be a European export model.

That is another interesting way to transport your wheels and tires. Car and Driver did a similar luggage rack set up when they did their feature C6 article on the Road to Dempster in Canada. If they have any technical details it might give some clues as to where they got theirs.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit confused here. It looks like he is in front of a sign for VIR(Virginia International Raceway?) but that car appears to be a European export model.

That is another interesting way to transport your wheels and tires. Car and Driver did a similar luggage rack set up when they did their feature C6 article on the Road to Dempster in Canada. If they have any technical details it might give some clues as to where they got theirs.
Hi,

I think it is a regular US Corvette Z06. It is the badge that we see on the side not the side lamp repeater.

Yes, I saw that (C&D) but I think it was a more definitive installation, this looks like a simple rack installed on the roof that can be taken off.

a++ Cedric

·
Registered
402 Posts
I saw a C5 in a pic a long time ago that had a tray installed into the reese hitch. The setup allowed for four tires to be transported if I remember correctly. Honestly now that I think about it the car looks similar to forum member's JBSBlownC5. I'll see if I can find a pic to show what I'm talking about.
I've have friends who used trailer hitch luggage tray/baskets. I was thinking about this too, but decided against it. The Class 1 hitch has a small 1 1/4" receiver and the tray had enough play to make it rock side to side a little, and it was never quite level. Also, the tongue weight rating for the hitch is 200 lbs. The wheels and tires themselves way about 200 lbs, so when you add in the weight of the metal tray, it is a little over weight.

My friend with a C5 Z06 stopped using his hitch and tray and now the car has switched roles from being the tow vehicle to riding on a trailer towed by a Suburban.

Draw-Tite Specs for a C5 (Reese is similar)
Hitch Class: Class I
GTW: 2,000 lbs
TW: 200 lbs
Receiver Size: 1.25 inch

However, the nice thing about the hitch tray and roof rack method is that you don't have the 55mph towing speed limit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Warning - Harbor Frieght trailer can fail

I found out Thanksgiving weekend that the Harbor Freight utility trailer can fail. On the way to Laguna Seca, while driving up I-5 near Pyramid Lake (the Grapevine just past Castaic) the tongue broke off of my trailer. The tongue was still safely hitched to the Corvette, but unfortunately the rest of the trailer was ghost riding down the freeway. God granted us a miracle in that no one hit the trailer and there was no accident. The trailer just did a wheelie and ground away the license plate and busted the two tail lights and came to a stop still in the lane we were in (2nd from the right). My tires and action packer were unharmed. We called AAA and had a flatbed haul our trailer back home. Turns out we didn't need the race tires anyway since it rained on us a Laguna Seca so we ran on street tires.

When I fix the trailer I'll use angle iron to beef up the cross members that tore apart and put in diagonal braces to the tongue to make it a triangle instead of just a stick.

I highly recommend that anyone who uses this trailer for their tires do the same thing - beef it up before it breaks. I estimate that my load was less than 350 pounds, less than 1/2 of the 870 poung load capacity for this trailer.

Be careful, or else you'll be needing miracles too!
Roy.

The tongueless trailer

The tongue

Where the tongue ripped away from the cross members

The metal still attached to the tongue, tore like cardboard

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ouch ... that's made in China for you :laughing:

Good thing no one got hurt in the process :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am all for beefing up the rig, however mine is set up exactly the same, has a full season on it, and had a couple on it when I bought it. Works really well. I had U-Haul put the hitch on my C4. I can carry a set of 315's on mine with no problem. My longest run out to the track so far is 70 miles and I will often do that on my practice V710's and tow the race V710's. (unless bad weather when the street tires stay on).

·
Registered
67 Posts
i saw this trailer @ PBIR on 12-18 did not get to speak to the owner.

dont know if its custom - but the design look pretty solid

Attachments

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I just don't know if I could put a hitch on the vette and still look at myself in the mirror....

·
Registered
67 Posts
here is the pic again

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts