Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which way to go. "Correct TR" are $21, "Replacement" are $12, and Stainless are around $46.

Don't ever want to have to use a Sawzall again to remove them in the future, but anti-sieze and a dry Las Vegas environment might help that issue.

Stainless may not be as strong as OEM (grade 5?)?

Also using externally lubricated Johnny Joints instead of rubber bushings.

Thought, experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I am using the stainless trailing arm bolts with the stainless shims, castle nuts and cotter key. After 8 years (WI summers, Parked during WI winter) still look brand new:thumbsup:

One less thing to cause a problem during periodic alignments :thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can use either wheel bearing grease or anti-seize on the regular steel bolts. I think that will do fine for your lifetime.
Anti-seize on the regular steel bolts gets my vote. I just feel 40+ dollars for stainless bolts is a little excessive.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I don't think you'll ever seize a regular bolt with the sheltered life an enthusiast's car leads.
better safe than sorry in my book. Who knows if his intent for the car will change down the road and it starts to see more wet condition driving?

I went with SS when I did mine a few years ago. Properly set up, I don't think the reduced tensile strength of the SS will be an issue. The bolt's main job is to pull the frame pocket together and sandwich the shims tightly. That way the shims do most of the work of keeping the T/A bushing in place.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I went with the original TR remakes, mild steel. I will probably never drive this car in the rain and I live in CA. I had a hell of a time taking one of them off, I can't remember which one but it was a bitch!
If u live on the east coast, every bolt u can get stainless, I would recommend it!!
Ed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stainless bolts and shims were fitted to my Vet 12 years ago and they still look like new.
I don’t have any problems recommending the stainless setup.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Unless you are shooting for bloomington gold or something similar, stailess is ALWAYS the best way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts