Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the process of rebuilding the trailinf arms , the local vette man sugest that i install grease fittings on the bearing hubs, showed me a vette that he had done several years ago looks doable , has any one done this ? if so what size drill and tap is needed any advise , lets talk

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The PO installed fittings in Ol' Red. I plugged them when I did the T/A bushings. GTR1999 can give you the full scoop on weather or not it's a good idea, but after I looked at the whole thing, I decided (maybe incorrectly) that having them was asking for problems. Too much grease and you can blow the seals out, or using the wrong grease and fry the bearings. Properly packed bearing will run a really long time, assuming good quality grease.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Bad idea, you will never know how much grease you're pumping in or where it's going. Properly rebuilt spindles will not need future lubrication for their life. I seen 80-100k miles on bearings without issue and others failing under 40k miles, some under 10k miles and even one report under 2k with imported bearings.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
The PO installed fittings in Ol' Red. I plugged them when I did the T/A bushings. GTR1999 can give you the full scoop on weather or not it's a good idea, but after I looked at the whole thing, I decided (maybe incorrectly) that having them was asking for problems. Too much grease and you can blow the seals out, or using the wrong grease and fry the bearings. Properly packed bearing will run a really long time, assuming good quality grease.
I agree the correct greass for wheel bearings is not some thing that you normaly have in a greass gun...:thud:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree the correct greass for wheel bearings is not some thing that you normaly have in a greass gun...:thud:
It's funny how your post just happened to be at the bottom of the page, when I read it and just below the thread is an ad for Mobile 1. Ironic! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts