Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fit a freshly clear coated hub assy to a painted T/A. Do I just tighten the nuts to bring everything together? I recall during dis-assy, that it was rather difficult to get apart, tight clearances, and 30+ years of rust/road grime, etc.

Am I going to have an issue with the clear coat being too thick to allow re-assy? Do I need to remove the clear and paint on the T/A to make this work?

·
Supporting Vendor
127 Posts
The spindle housing and trailing arm are hard to take apart generally on rusted trailing Arms and need extra persuasion.

Both the arm and housing should have been cleaned (sand blasted to bare metal) then painted. When put back to gether there should be a nice snug fit. We use the nuts to help pull the spindle housing in, but be careful that too much pressure is applied or the (4) studs could spin on you.

Yes clean some paint off if needed. The paint or some rust prevenitive on the surfaces will make easier for you, your kids or the next owner take them apart in another 30 years.

Gary V

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
When I do them I don't paint the mating surfaces, I blast and etch them, then fit them but I don't use the nuts to draw the parts in. Fit them all first, then setup your bearings to 0015-002, then final assemble & dial in the rotors.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tips guys1:thumbsup:

I sanded off the semi-gloss black from the inner-surface off the trailing arm, and the hub dropped right in!

When I do the right T/A I'll make sure to mask off the mating surfaces.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
if you've removed all the paint from the mating surfaces perhaps a thin coat of anti-seize would help prevent future difficulties separating them

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
You can use never sieze if you like, but once the bearings are setup- correctly- you shouldn't have to pull them apart for a very long time. Most people won't ever put 80k+ miles on a rebuilt C2 or C3 anymore so I would expect the bearings to outlive more owners. Why else do you think some place now have lifetime warrantees, which life?.... the bearings or owners?LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts