Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABout ready to give up! I finished tightening everything up and verifying adjustment on the trannie. Took the car out and made it about 5 miles. Went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and got nothing! I thought ok let me just pull it into neutral and then shift again. Still nothing. I wound up limping home at 25 mph in 2nd gear. Managed to get it into the garage and up on stands. The freakin 1st-2nd shift rod popped out when I had gone to 3rd from 2nd. Now the trannie is stuck in what looks to be 2nd and 3rd at once. They are really jammed in there. What can I do???? I swear I wander if I will ever actually get to drive this thing. At this point I even made the comment that I am about ready to give up and sale it...... Sorry for the rant. Anybody have any suggestions on fixing my problem?

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Get the back end in the air and slide under there, get the trans back to neutral. Put all the levers in the center. look at the bushings on both ends of the shift rods. There's got to be a simple problem, like a rod is bent or something like that. did a rod pop out of a lever? It may be the shifter itself is worn too. They have a kit with new bushings and the retainers.

hang in there. don't give up. like I said, I bet it's something simple.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the back end in the air and slide under there, get the trans back to neutral. Put all the levers in the center. look at the bushings on both ends of the shift rods. There's got to be a simple problem, like a rod is bent or something like that. did a rod pop out of a lever? It may be the shifter itself is worn too. They have a kit with new bushings and the retainers.

hang in there. don't give up. like I said, I bet it's something simple.

Thanks Tim. The shifter is new so wear I would think wouldn't be an issue. When the rod came off the shifter arme the plastic bushing came out so I will need to find another one of those. For getting it out of both gears is there a trick at all? I tugged on the selector arm bolt with a wrench but they are really stick. Should I try tapping on the arms with a hammer to get them back in the neutral position?:thud: I am trying to hang in there but boy this was frustrating....

Thanks again!
Wade

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I did not take a break, I know I could have burned mine down twice by now. It will look better in a couple days.:thumbsup:
Thanks. I know your right but man I wish I could fix one thing and not have 5 others break. I know I am in the process of resurrecting this thing from the nightmare that it was when I bought it. Just takes patience which I have bery little of most of the time. So the wife tells me.....:surprised

Wade

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thanks. I know your right but man I wish I could fix one thing and not have 5 others break. I know I am in the process of resurrecting this thing from the nightmare that it was when I bought it. Just takes patience which I have bery little of most of the time. So the wife tells me.....:surprised

Wade
Look. I just spent two days with my unnecessary spreader bar. Now the steering control valve leaks. I already replaced it twice. :WTF When I went to unlock the door, my new repop door lock switch on the pass side quit. :WTF
Just keep at it, and don't forget to make your credit card payment. They won't raise your limit if you miss a payment.:rolling:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts