Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they nececary or not....One friend advised me to get it n another said it's not neceary...What say you...Thanx...Jerrylee///

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,824 Posts
It would kind of depend on what driving you do. If you are in hilly country, if you track your car, if you are stuck in traffic in 100* heat a lot, you might need a tranny cooler. It would help extend the life of it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cooler...

I'm up here in the big city were my driving is split 50/50 between city n parkway driving......not to much getting stuck in traffic or 100* days....Thanx...Jerrylee///

·
Registered
181 Posts
talked with a trusted tranny mech about this topic with 35 years on the job. he has one on every ride he owns. he said heat is the number one killer for auto tranny. hope this helps.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't thinka 77 454 is stock:huh:

What trans?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Not necessary for regular driving. If the additional cooling was required, Chevrolet would have added the tranny coolers a long time ago. If your stock cooling system is in good shape, you're covered.

:thumbsup:
I totally don't agree.. Auto manufacturers go the cheapest route they can! Otherwise, our vettes would come factory equipped with ported/polished headers instead of an iron exhaust manifold, and the quadrajunk would never have been put on our cars!

Heat does kill your tranny. Put one on. They're cheap insurance.

·
Registered
738 Posts
:agree: Me too. You ABSOLUTELY need a cooler of some kind, minimum stock cooler. Bigger and more efficient the better. The object is to keep the juice as cool as possible. Heat kills the juice AND the seals. The tranny would run happily below freezing forever. Max temp should never go above 200*f
I am running an 18" extruded aluminum heat sink type cooler and if that don't do it I'll either add annother one or go to a powered unit.

Lose ALL the heat

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I will be mounting two finned coolers in the nose of mine. I've pissed off the vacuum headlights so I have a bit of space where the can and all that **** used to be.

One cooler for tranny and one for ps/hydroboost. The coolers were pretty inexpensive and having them in the system, and even the extra plumbing that connects them, will certainly make the systems cooler :thumbsup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just ordered a couple of these, one is for the truck I use to tow the car trailer with and other for the vette. Sure can't hurt.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=4739-1

Compare with btu rating, this one is 44,000btu, where most others are around 20,000btu.

Comes with threaded fittings for a better install than just the tube nipples.

From what I have read, the average life expectancy for a tranny at 200°F is 25,000mi and if you drop it to 140°F you bump the life up to 100,000mi.
Don't know how true that is, but I think cooler is better.
Google for diesel truck towing coolers, lot of info on cooler performance.
Also http://www.bulkpart.com/transmission-cooler.html
:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
it`s not a matter of "if" you need one but how big of one you need...and I totally agree with whoever mentioned GM going the cheap route...if you didn`t NEED one GM would have saved the few sheckles a tranny cooler costs.
redvetracr

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
...if you didn`t NEED one GM would have saved the few sheckles a tranny cooler costs...
How true. It would be a cheaper radiator without the cooler, no machine operator's time to manufacture the cooler lines and knock a bit of time off on the assembly line for not having to fit the cooler lines. To a bean counter, that would add up to quite a bit I'd reckon.

So, necessary? It must be...

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Just ordered a couple of these, one is for the truck I use to tow the car trailer with and other for the vette. Sure can't hurt.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=4739-1

Compare with btu rating, this one is 44,000btu, where most others are around 20,000btu.

Comes with threaded fittings for a better install than just the tube nipples.

From what I have read, the average life expectancy for a tranny at 200°F is 25,000mi and if you drop it to 140°F you bump the life up to 100,000mi.
Don't know how true that is, but I think cooler is better.
Google for diesel truck towing coolers, lot of info on cooler performance.
Also http://www.bulkpart.com/transmission-cooler.html
:D
He said nipples !!! :partyon:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nipples ARE a necessary part of vettes!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cooler...

Thanx for all the advice guys...And as for Darrow's ? I'm running a 700R4 tranny......Thanx again..........Jerrylee///

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
I'll stand by my post. His question was whether a tranny cooler was necessary.

:buhbye:
I agree! :agree:

And he has a lockup 700r to boot with no converter heat build while cruisin'. I think the original cooler in the radiator is enough for street driving! :thumbsup:

JMHO

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
Thanx for all the advice guys...And as for Darrow's ? I'm running a 700R4 tranny......Thanx again..........Jerrylee///
Definately run an auxillary cooler, and don't plumb in your stock cooler.

I'm not running the big block but I AM running the same tranny with a 330 horse 350, I've got an aluminum heat-sink type cooler that is mounted on the front of the radiator (no A/C condenser) with 1" spacers between it and the radiator. The cooler I run is a nine-pass cooler.

I've absolutely beaten the crap out of my tranny for about two years now, I've been in burnout contests where I take her well into third gear, I've drag raced the car more times than I can count. Every morning I "bang" her into second just to hear the chirp of the rear tires. I drive my 'vette daily, usually in 100+* heat and I drive it HARD.

I swear by tranny coolers.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts