Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the six speed ( manual ) trans folks .... I am always doing things to be good to my C5 .... it turns out a good my have been a bad .... sometime ago when i replaced my clutch i decided i would also replace my trans oil .... so doing something good ? i used a syn. oil .... about a month later i noticed the trans was getting hard to shift .... since my C5 has a lot of miles i thought syncros getting worn or the clutch had bad parts .... well truth is the syn. trans oil turns to loose goo when exposed to high speeds and heat over time .... thus not letting the synros do there thing .... thus hard shifting .... changed to GM gen3 ... shifting is better now .... just thought i would share my find ....

·
Registered
362 Posts
What kind of synthetic oil did you use?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Never use any thing that does not meet the manufactures specifications...

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Interesting... i am doing my 6 speed at the end of the month and was thinking of using moble 1 synthetic also. I have a Spec brand, stage 2 clutch. Guess i'll go with the recommend fluid. What is the full name? GM Gen3 trans fluid?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 synthetic in both C5 and C6 Z06 trannies since they were almost new in all types of driving and racing.

That is 9 years of use in the C5 with zero issues
Do not judge all fluids as one vendor or owner is negative.

The newest GM trannie fluid is also synthetic

·
Registered
114 Posts
you did make sure and use the correct type of oil right.
the 6 speeds require automatic trans fluid DeXIII. Mobil 1 is compatible with Dex III. Swapped out to AMSOIL torque drive, recommended for DEXRON III applications.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trans fluid/6 spd manual

To racingvette, in the earlier post you recomended gm man. Trans.transfer case fluid , and now you are in favor of mobil 1, only one of which is a synthetic fluid , the other is not syn, you are confusing to me and perhaps others.............personally i think gm man/trans case is the wright answer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The newest GM fluid is synthetic
Older Dexron III was not

Else use Mobil I which is also synthetic which has a higher boiling point and foams less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts