Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transformed my exaust to straight pipes..... whoa!

How many of you out there are running with no muffler's and replaced the center cat/resonater with straight pipes out the back with gutted pre cats?
Is it to loud for you? or the noisier the better?
What about performence wise? better? worse?

Well me personaly, I like the noise and at fthe first time driving it, I thought that I definately made a mistake on doing this to my car because of the fact that I had no kind of low end.....none, but soon after running around town and on the freeway at speeds from 1 mph to a quick 110 mph, I noticed that it was definatly running much better the it had at first, the computer was begining to learn the mod or what ever you decide to call it.

One important fact that I wanted to make sure that I passed on to all you readers and none readers out there was that on my "instant" miles per hour gadge, it went from an average (driving on pretty much level roads) of 25 mpg to 34 mpg and some times up to 41 mpg!!! yes I know!!:rolleyes:

what kind of "Pakalolo" :smokin: have I got into to make me see this strange and unusual vision that I'm claiming to have witinessed?! none! I dont touch the stuff!! it's for real!! 100% real fact, of course not a scientific study or anything like that, just what I call a little........................"Hawaiiantiffic" study, thats pretty much it my friend's.:thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I would love to loose the mufflers or the cat but I can't. It'll be too loud for the neighbors. The 87 rattles my kitchen and dining room windows already when I have it parked in the driveway. :lookinup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a free-flow system utilizing long tubes, and a set of borlas. Honestly, it isn't too bad at all during cruising. WOT, definitely sounds nasty when it needs to!

I couldn't imagine taking my borlas off though for elims. I thought about it once or twice, but I am happy with the sound.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
When I gutted my cats, I picked up low end torque for sure. I suppose there is a point when you lose it. I think I'm at the sweet spot and will stay there until I get headers.

How loud is it in the car?

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Patrick96LT4 said:
When I gutted my cats, I picked up low end torque for sure. I suppose there is a point when you lose it. I think I'm at the sweet spot and will stay there until I get headers.

How loud is it in the car?
Well, it's not to loud to not have a normal conversation with some one in the car................................at cruising speed, when I stomp on it though.............................holy mother of............................it is rediculesly loud............................I like it!:excited:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Hawaiian Punch said:
Well, it's not to loud to not have a normal conversation with some one in the car................................and cruising speed, when I stomp on it though.............................holy mother of............................it is rediculasly loud............................I like it!:excited:
Does it sound good?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Maybe your cats were getting glogged up Pat.Doesn't take long,i think at 40,000 miles there already like 5% glogged or something like that.
Iv'e never seen a car go slower because of gutted cats,i think the exhaust manifolds alone is enough backpressure.But what do i know.:rolleyes:
I just use my seat-o-pants meter to check....:smokin:

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Patrick96LT4 said:
Does it sound good?
I'll qoute what my wife said to me last night after coming home from bringing dinner......................
"Your car was loud!!! I was watching you leave and heard you going up the street and man, it was loud" (my reply to her) "was it to loud? and did it sound rediculasly loud?" (her reply back to me) " No!! it sounded so powerful, intimedating, not irritating like some of those "hot rods" that come on the monthly cruise's we go too, your's sounded like it was powerful"
So I guess in her point of view Patrick, it was a good sound......of course, this is my wife who's telling me this, on the other hand though, she has a reputation of speaking her mind to whom ever, when ever.
I personaly like it, it has a very different sound to it, not like the common "Street rod" that you see/hear going down the street, kind of a mix between a european sports car and an American sports car, more of the American sports car though then the European version for sure.
Hope you got the idea Patrick. Aloha my buddy.:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
I hope you have more understanding cops than we have. The city passed a noise ordinance to combat the loud booking stereos but the locals have taken it on themselves to target exhausts as well. Hopefuly it will die down the winter and they will lighten up some.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I've been wanting to gut my cat but was concerned of the loss of low end torque. Maybe I'll do it and see what happens.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
raidmagic said:
I've been wanting to gut my cat but was concerned of the loss of low end torque. Maybe I'll do it and see what happens.
I gained low end TQ, and the car rev'd smooter and faster!:excited:

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
raidmagic said:
Just a bit of info, dont judge on how your car performs right after gutting the cats, it will be extremly sluggish at first, drive it at as many different mph as you can for about 25 to 40 miles, on back streets, on freeway's, and if it's safe and clear of cop's, bring up the speed a bit, that should be enough time and milage for the computer to have learned the new mod that you did.
Thats what I had to do when I first gutted my center cat and removed the mufflers, then gutted the pre cats a few months later, then finaly what I have just done a couple of days ago and go with straight pipes with no mufflers, no center cat of course but still have the gutted pre cats on, thats the process that I did each time I retouched the exaust, for the computer to learn:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts