Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run a transmission cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan in the rear of the car? I'm not running a spare tire bucket so I've got lots of room. I can't seem to get my 700R-4 running cool enough to keep my mind at ease. I took the lines out of the new alum. rad. because it was actually heating the oil and just ran them through an 8"x14"x3/4" cooler in front of the rad. (Engine temp is between 190 and 210 depending on whether I'm in town or on the highway.) The trans still runs mostly between 160 and 200 degrees, which is dangerously hot. I was thinking of running lines to the rear of the car where the spare used to be to a cooler with a fan to see if that would solve the issue, but am not sure I would get enough air flow back there. Maybe run both coolers? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.:cheers: Art

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wow, thats pretty hot, Are your sure its going into Lock like it should? I am useing an 18" extruded heat sink type cooler but don't have my car on the road yet. It sure sounds like you need to go to some kind of forced air cooling, but I would look at the lockup thing. The heat has to be coming from somewhere. Someone in here a while back last year was talking about doing a forced air system in the back like you suggested, But I can't remember who.
Something like this is what you would need

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's definitely going into lockup. I can feel it and it shows on the tach. The one pictured in your reply is exactly what I was looking at. I'm going to get a temp gun and check the temp on the pan before I buy though, just to be sure I don't have a funky temp guage. It's the one from Bowtie, but it's not uncommon for a guage to be off by a considerable amount. I work in hydraulics and it seems like no two guages read exactly the same. If the guage is right, I'm probably going to run the one with the fan downstream of the one I have in front now. Can't hurt! With all I've spent to this point, what's another couple hundred?:thud: Art

·
Registered
738 Posts
LOL Yea I understand that. Since your confident its locking up then verifying the real temp should be the next step. Taking the cooler off the radiator was smart, I never liked the way that was done. Adding on a powered unit should do it tho.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
6' and I built our 200 trannies some time ago, mine is on the road, he is too buzzy posing for hollywood glamour shots to do any work, apparently...

or do I have U confused with someone else???

at any rate, the rear cooler is a good idea, and I have a left over '87 vette front pusher fan....I could put it in the rear with a nice cooler, hummm....unclutter the whole front end of the car, that would be nice...

good thinking there guys....bet there is enough air at speed to keep that tranny cool as beans....

:rolling: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've been thinking about moving mine to the rear so I can have room for a big ass oil cooler

My tranny cooler is huge though. It's for a dump truck

You can see it hear

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I"m going for it. I'll post results and pics of the install when I have some figures. I've got lots of room what with no spare bucket or mufflers in the way.
[/IMG]Might help someone else.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Wooden I know it, bored shitless around the house and now this concept comes up, and I get all pumped up, and now I got MONEY work to do....

figgers....

then there is that boat I"m shanghi ing TimAT to work on....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ordered my new cooler this morning. It's 1 1/2"x10"x21" with a 10" fan @ 1250CFM. The only problem now is I can't find a temp switch that turns on at less than 170 degrees! I don't want my transmission getting that hot. I guess I'll have to wire it to an ignition 1 source and just have it run all the time. That kind of sucks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Jeesus, That ought to keep it chilly. :partyon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts