Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS, I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. I JUST DID MY FIRST TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE AND FILTER. I USE LUCUS OIL. NOW THE CAR WILL NOT MOVE AT ALL. NO GEAR OR REV. ITS A 92 LT1 WITH THE AUTO TRANS. I CHECK THE SHIFT LEVEL AND ITS PUSH ALL THE WAY CLOCKWISE AND IT IN PARK. I DID FORGET TO BOLT THE BRACE BACK TO THE OIL PAN . WOULD THAT MAKE THE CAR NO MOVE ? HELP PLEASE I AM LOST ON WHAT TO DO NEXT.:huh:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Transmission filter not all the way seated (fell down all the way to the pan) in the valve body and/or the O-ring cut or slipped out of position.

OR

You replaced way too much fluid and it attacked your hardened seals and has now caused a fatal leak on one or more of the many o-rings in your transmission.

Don't ever try to empty a well used transmission of as much of its used fluid during a change. The new fluid will attack your seals inside the tranny and cause god knows what failure if you have too much new fluid mixed with old! (depends on which oring fails) No way to drain the torque converter without removing it or spinning engine over with ignition disabled. Not a good idea at all!

On a vehicle that is not used for the dragstip or towing replace the fluid in the PAN at 100K miles or even more.

My brother in law that builds many GM autos a year for a living says he doesnt replace the fluid in his truck until his tranny needs a rebuild! (4L60E)

Him and I built my 4L60E for my Sierra (5.7L) and it now has around 117K on that rebuild. Never changed the fluid and I tow a 32ft 5400lb Travel trailer and sometimes my 20ft rinker with it!

That tranny is nothing seriously special other than the beast sunshell, kevlar 2-4 band, valve body updates, hi energy clutch kit. Thats it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YES THE DIP STICK READ AT THE HATCH MARKS FOR THE COLD. I THINK ITS BRACE FOR THE SHIFTER CABLE THAT BOLTS TO THE OIL PAN THAT I FOROGT TO PUT BACK IN PLACE. NOT SURE IF THE SHIFTER LEVEL IS MOVING OR NOT.
I WILL WORK ON IT WED. NIGHT. WISH ME LUCK. LOL I HOPE I NOT MESH THE TRANS UP.I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I GET IT FIX. THANKS:partyon:

·
Registered
197 Posts
YES THE DIP STICK READ AT THE HATCH MARKS FOR THE COLD. I THINK ITS BRACE FOR THE SHIFTER CABLE THAT BOLTS TO THE OIL PAN THAT I FOROGT TO PUT BACK IN PLACE. NOT SURE IF THE SHIFTER LEVEL IS MOVING OR NOT.
I WILL WORK ON IT WED. NIGHT. WISH ME LUCK. LOL I HOPE I NOT MESH THE TRANS UP.I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I GET IT FIX. THANKS:partyon:
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Seriously? You forgot to remount the bracket for the shift cable? Nah...You didn't mess anything up. Make sure you place the car in neutral at the shifter and THEN AT THE TRANSMISSION SECTOR CONTROL (What your shift cable attaches to on the tranny)!!!!!!! They BOTH have to be in the SAME position BEFORE you bolt that shift cable bracket in place. Otherwise neutral may end up being reverse or Drive or Park depending on how far off you get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS RIMAUTO,GOT THE CAR GOING AGAIN. THE BRACE MUST BE ON SO THE CABLE LINE CAN PUSH THE TRANS SHIFT LEVEL. I DID THAT AND NOW IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.:cheers:

·
Registered
197 Posts
THANKS RIMAUTO,GOT THE CAR GOING AGAIN. THE BRACE MUST BE ON SO THE CABLE LINE CAN PUSH THE TRANS SHIFT LEVEL. I DID THAT AND NOW IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.:cheers:

LOL yeah the 700r4 usually works correctly once the shift cable bracket and cable is attached.

Longevity of the 700r4 is a different story.

Make sure you have the TV (throttle valve) cable hooked up to your throttle body and CORRECTLY adjusted per the procedure in any service manual for your car.

If you do not get that TV cable properly adjusted and drive it like that, it WILL fry your transmission!

(TV cable connects to Throttle body alongside your throttle cable and goes down to the transmission into its valve body)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts