Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weeknd was the first chance I had to take the car on a long Drive since putting in the 700r4 trans, I noticed when going up some of the steeper grades, the trans temp getting a little above 170 but other wise the temps stayed well below 140 for most of the trip, was just curious what Transmission oil cooler recommendations the people on the forum might have.

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you're on a budget 90s GM trucks & vans have a nice sized cooler with flare fittings. Be prepared to rinse with thinner or solvent to prevent contamination. Pros generally replace because it's not cost effective to pay an hour of shop time to clean it out.

Otherwise, the things to look for are threaded fittings and "stacked plate" construction. The cheaper types with an S bend in fins is not very efficient by comparison although both types are quite durable. And for most cars, the S bend type is plenty of added cooling.

Good luck with your project

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have the B+M tranny cooler on my 77' and 05’ both kits were 10"x10" and the kit on the 77 has been on there about 5years, no problems. It reduced the temperature inside the car in my 77' dramatically. I don’t know what temp the tranny is running in the 77' but the 05' never gets above 170.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're on a budget 90s GM trucks & vans have a nice sized cooler with flare fittings. Be prepared to rinse with thinner or solvent to prevent contamination. Pros generally replace because it's not cost effective to pay an hour of shop time to clean it out.

Otherwise, the things to look for are threaded fittings and "stacked plate" construction. The cheaper types with an S bend in fins is not very efficient by comparison although both types are quite durable. And for most cars, the S bend type is plenty of added cooling.

Ah Great idea! I hadn't thought about hitting the salvage yards to find one, I also like that I can get one with flare fittings.

I have the B+M tranny cooler on my 77' and 05’ both kits were 10"x10" and the kit on the 77 has been on there about 5years, no problems. It reduced the temperature inside the car in my 77' dramatically. I don’t know what temp the tranny is running in the 77' but the 05' never gets above 170.

Thats good to hear, I was curious if adding the additional cooler would also lower engine temp by a few degress but great to hear it also lowered temps inside the car..

Thanks for the replies.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts

thinner and solvents are ok at best- they tend to leave residue or the thinner/solvents themselves behind. by far the best thing to use is denatured alcohol, ie rubbing alcohol. completely evaporates leaving nothing behind but clean

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I second the salvage yard idea.

I found two that I like to use.

The best is the transmission cooler from a 1998 Durango 4x4 with the 360. It's the plate build style mentioned. It's roughly 10" square. I actually am using it as my engine oil cooler with a T-stat operated 10" fan.

The next one is a smaller cooler that I found is really easy to find locations for and is still a plate style build. It's from a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4x4, 318. It doesn't use fittings though...just two nipples, but it's perfect for cars that don't lack a lot in fluid cooling ability.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Word of warning with late model coolers, even though the fittings are flare seat they are sometimes metric thread. Be sure to grab the line ends in case you have to use em or match em.

As noted they're interchangeable for oil or transmisson. Tow package GM trucks and cop caprices often have two of the same auxiliary cooler, one oil, one for transmission.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The B+M tranny cooler kits that I got were only $50.00 at autozone. The kits come with hose(not enough) you will have to buy more, hose clamps, mounting brakets. Good luck with your project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts