Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a automatic 84 corvette and when i was driving on the highway i notice a screeching grinding kinda of sound every time i accelerated. To me it sounded if it was in the center or almost rear of the car. And it only happened on the highway

·
Registered
440 Posts
Noise

Here is some checks i think you may need to make.
1. See if the noise is there in neutal. If so you may have a broken flexplate.
2. See if you hear any noise as you are starting the car
3 Check all gear selections, such as 1 , 2 , 3 , D , R. See if the noise level is in all the gears or what ranges.
4.See if there is any noise just coasting. There could be u joints on the drive shaft or the axles causing the noise. If you can get it up on a lift or jack stands you may be able to locate the problem
5 If in fact it is in the transmission , remove the oil pan and then you will know for sure.

These are a few of my thoughts...keep us posted what you find..mr

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it only made that noise when i gave it gas but when i coasted it went away. and i got louder with the more gas i gave it. But when i got off the highway and drove on the street i didnt hear it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Slapping noise on acceleration?

well it only made that noise when i gave it gas but when i coasted it went away. and i got louder with the more gas i gave it. But when i got off the highway and drove on the street i didnt hear it.
I get a slapping or flapping noise on acceleration. Did you ever get your problem diagnosed/fixed? I might have the same problem. I'm wondering if it could be U-joints. There's a lot of them back there, and they wear.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts