Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An issue just came up with my car yesterday. I have a 4-speed auto., and now whenever I downshift, my RPMs won't change and I get no engine braking.

For instance, Normally I could be driving in 3nd gear at approx 1800 rpm, and when I downshifted to 2nd gear, the rpms would jump up to ~2800. But now, NOTHING. I can downshift and the rpms will stay the same. I can even drop it into 1st gear and the rpms don't jump up at all.

Also, for instance, when I'm driving in 3rd gear (or any gear), If I'm humming along say at 2500 rpm and I let off the gas pedal, the tach will immediately drop to idle speed. If I hit the gas pedal again, I must bring the tach back up to 2500 rpm again before I see any kind of acceleration.

Yet, I can still drive in all gears.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I can downshift and the rpms will stay the same. I can even drop it into 1st gear and the rpms don't jump up at all.
You mean to say you can move the shifter anywhere but the gear position doesn't change?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
you may not be getting lockup

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
how does it behave when not manually shifting it? all shifts are the result of line pressure- check to make sure you have enough fluid in the trans. i dont believe lockup is an issue here. my first step would be to make sure fluid levels are correctly. now, what year is your car so I know if you have a 700-R4 or a 4L60-E.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
how does it behave when not manually shifting it? all shifts are the result of line pressure- check to make sure you have enough fluid in the trans. i dont believe lockup is an issue here. my first step would be to make sure fluid levels are correctly. now, what year is your car so I know if you have a 700-R4 or a 4L60-E.
His profile says it's a 93 so he has the 4l60-E

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My car is a '93, I checked the dipstick and the tranny fluid level is good.

My car behaves normally when not manually shifting.

You mean to say you can move the shifter anywhere but the gear position doesn't change?
When I downshift, correct.

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after quite a bit of researching, it looks like it might be a hurt sprag or some kind of problem with the overrun clutch. I have no idea what that is or what it means. :huh: :laughing:

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
apparently, whatever it is it's not too important, because it's been 7 months, been driving it daily and i still haven't gotten it fixed. :laughing: I hope I don't eat my own words though, I just can't justify spending $2000 and only possibly getting a few hundred back out of it since i'm looking to sell it anyway. I'd rather just wait till the transmission completely dies. :nuts: it'd have to be fixed either way you look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts