Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have TH350 that is giving me problems. it does fine for about 20 or 30 minutes then it does not want to go into gear..and when it does it dont want to go very fast at all. maybe 10 to 15 mph. i pulled the pan off to change the filter on it and it was full of trash. the bottom of the trans pan was full of trash too. so i changed the filter and cleaned the pan and put it all back together. i went for a drive and it did the same thing again. is it possible that there is still just trash in it and i need to change the filter again? or u think it is something major wrong with it? the transmission is stock

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
trash, as in metal and fiber debris? if so, then no- the trans is dead. If it is actual trash, i question how it got there lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trash, as in metal and fiber debris? if so, then no- the trans is dead. If it is actual trash, i question how it got there lol
there is no metal. it looks more like fiber ground up real fine in the filter. but in the bottom of the pan is was more like sludge

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
that would be what is left of your clutch packs

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know this may be a bit too simple and i mean no disrespect....
it's not just low on fluid is it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this may be a bit too simple and i mean no disrespect....
it's not just low on fluid is it?
no disrespect at all im happy to hear any input:thumbsup: i checked the fluid and it was good. i even thought it might be heat build up so i bought a bigger trans cooler and that didnt help either. im not surprised by this trans messing up at all. when i bought the car this trans did not come in it. the trans that was in the car was not working so the guy gave me this one too...he said it worked fine the last time he used it. but he took it out the car for some reason so im happy it even lasted this long

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anyone have an idea of what it cost to rebuild a TH350? i would like for it to be able to handle at least 500 hp bc i may spray a 100-150 shot in the future. would also like a mild shift kit

·
Registered
552 Posts
A th-350 will support up to 450hp-ish with nothing more than a shift kit and a street performance rebuild kit. At 500hp you should really be looking into th400 conversion. Tons of C3s had th400s, and they're easy to swap and a whole bunch more reliable at that power level. A th400 will support your power goals with stock parts but the rebuilder may insist on one or two upgrades for reliability reasons. It might be a performance pump, or maybe a higher strength shaft or drum. You never know. Every builder has their own unique beliefs & experiences.

Generally, US trans shops will do a performance th350 for $550-350 if you bring in the trans for a "bench build". Many advanced guys rebuild those at home. If you're putting fancy performance drums or shafts in, add a hundred for each part.

TH400 builds are similar priced. Maybe add $50-100.

Converters are a huge variable, as you can either get a stock rebuilt converter for a hundred dollars exchange, or you can spend a thousand or more on a super high tech racing converter. At your target power level, plan on using a $300-800 converter. Ballooned converters will feed the tranny their shrapnel, and cheap converters will slip so bad they eat horsepower via low efficiency. So err to the side of caution/quality. Which is going to co$t. Buy the absolute best quality you can afford.

A tranny that's setup for 550 w/nos is going to have worse manners and be much more expensive than a tranny that's setup for your engine without NOS. If you're not serious about spending another couple thousand getting the rear suspension and diff in shape to handle the 550......think about if you really want to build toward 550. There's a lot of overall vehicle compromise at 550 that's not present at 450. Ask anyone who's been there. If you're not serious enough to see it all the way thru, the parts choices you're making now won't be correct.

With modern power adders and heads everyone seems to want 550. A car that uses 450 well is SERIOUS and about half the cost mechanically. Not tryin to sidetrack your dream, just pointing out something that's not often pointed out. Using 550 involves changing things in vehicle design, 450 is pretty much bolt-ons. And if you're not "using" the 550 well, the 450 guy is gonna scoot past.

good luck with the car!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A th-350 will support up to 450hp-ish with nothing more than a shift kit and a street performance rebuild kit. At 500hp you should really be looking into th400 conversion. Tons of C3s had th400s, and they're easy to swap and a whole bunch more reliable at that power level. A th400 will support your power goals with stock parts but the rebuilder may insist on one or two upgrades for reliability reasons. It might be a performance pump, or maybe a higher strength shaft or drum. You never know. Every builder has their own unique beliefs & experiences.

Generally, US trans shops will do a performance th350 for $550-350 if you bring in the trans for a "bench build". Many advanced guys rebuild those at home. If you're putting fancy performance drums or shafts in, add a hundred for each part.

TH400 builds are similar priced. Maybe add $50-100.

Converters are a huge variable, as you can either get a stock rebuilt converter for a hundred dollars exchange, or you can spend a thousand or more on a super high tech racing converter. At your target power level, plan on using a $300-800 converter. Ballooned converters will feed the tranny their shrapnel, and cheap converters will slip so bad they eat horsepower via low efficiency. So err to the side of caution/quality. Which is going to co$t. Buy the absolute best quality you can afford.

A tranny that's setup for 550 w/nos is going to have worse manners and be much more expensive than a tranny that's setup for your engine without NOS. If you're not serious about spending another couple thousand getting the rear suspension and diff in shape to handle the 550......think about if you really want to build toward 550. There's a lot of overall vehicle compromise at 550 that's not present at 450. Ask anyone who's been there. If you're not serious enough to see it all the way thru, the parts choices you're making now won't be correct.

With modern power adders and heads everyone seems to want 550. A car that uses 450 well is SERIOUS and about half the cost mechanically. Not tryin to sidetrack your dream, just pointing out something that's not often pointed out. Using 550 involves changing things in vehicle design, 450 is pretty much bolt-ons. And if you're not "using" the 550 well, the 450 guy is gonna scoot past.

good luck with the car!
thanks for the advice. im not for sure gonna ever spray my car. it depends on what direction i go in the future with the car. right now my car does not even have 450hp. im guessing more around the 350-375hp range. but i already bought a trans this morning. i found a really good deal. thanks again for the help everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts