Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What transmission comes on the 94 corvette coupe LT1 not ZR-1? Also how does it hold up top end wise? I know the 700r4's have a weak over drive and tend to over heat and go out quick when your hit 120+. Just looking for some input. Thanks,
Aaron

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Bad after 120mph? Is that from experience or did you hear someone say that or read it somewhere? :huh:

The 700R4 and it's electronic variants got better every year. By '94 it was about as good as it got. I had the 700R4 in my 87. I had it up to 145 mph a few times w/ no problems at all. I was ruthless w/ the trans having run it past 120 mph on countless occasions. It wasn't until I added more power that the top end gave out.

If you're really worried about it, adding a large capacity trans cooler will help out alot b/c it the heat that kills. The only other alternative that I (not speaking for everyone) suggest would be to upgrade the 3-4 clutch pack. I had my trans rebuilt/upgraded to handle 500 hp after my 3-4 went out. I had it up to 165 mph w/o any problems there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm really not to sure about everything on the car. Im still finding out many new things everyday. I'm the third owner and since the guy i bought it from got it at a police auction.....he wasn't sure what all had been done to it himself. But the car is low mile (64k) and looks to have been very well taken care of! I had the motor checked and refreshed, and i know there is a different than stock stall converter, but not sure of the rear or trans. Im hoping to get the car back tomorrow so i can further investigate the new toy! I know its a mean motor, just want to make sure when i take it up there the trans will hold....lol.......

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have drag raced, auto-x'd, road raced, country blasts, etc, with my automatic vette, I have exceeded 120mph more times then I can count. The only times I have trouble with my trans is when I have been road racing it all day, and then it likes to get a little frothy a bubble a bit out the top vent and cause a little smoke. Aside from that (knock on wood) it has held up so far to 120k miles of abuse. :devil:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Early 4L60e's had shitty valve bodies that developed wear quickly if the fluid wasnt kept REAL clean.

Forward and 3/4 clutch assemblies like to be upgraded to units with better clutches and usually more plates(like the newer trans)

The input housing/shaft assembly is a weak link as are the planetary sets, hot rod versions of both are available from numerous sources.

The reaction sun shell and gear are proly the first thing to go, even on completely stock V6 powered vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah i c....from driving the car a little it feels like the trans might be stock or worn...because it seems like its slipping when i get on it....i heard the stock trans will start slipping after 450Hp.....any one verify this?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Ah i c....from driving the car a little it feels like the trans might be stock or worn...because it seems like its slipping when i get on it....i heard the stock trans will start slipping after 450Hp.....any one verify this?
Yeah stock transmissions(especially early ones) tend to not like 450+hp.

newer versions of this trans have higher torque ratings(4L65e, 4L70e) and improved internals. 5 pinion planetary sets, increased clutch count clutch packs, improved materials, and 450+hp is still asking alot without proper electronic control(pressure and shift timing control)

Slipping is better than breaking, there are pressure control solenoids available that can increase line pressure to reduce slipping and firm up the shifts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts