Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These things are too low!

Anyone else driven crazy by the lack of visibility in heavier traffic conditions?! I find myself inching over to change lanes, because I cannot see around the cars in front of me.

I am cautious for fear that if I move into the adjacent lane that I'll be looking at a construction baracade or a car going 15mph under the limit!

I usually ask my wife, "how does the middle lane look?"... because she is further to the right!

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I find that too but it's mostly SUV's, vans and trucks that I have a problem with. I'm not lowered so that helps me see through just about any car. I looked in my Corvette Chronicles book, Ride height for the 87 is 48" and the 96 is 46.3", an even greater advantage for me to see through the cars.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Jlreyna said:
You need a louder exhaust!
If they can't see you at least they can hear you.
thats what my biker friends say-"loud pipes save lives" :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I almost wiped my car out a few months ago merging onto the highway. I never saw the car in the lane next to me fortunatly he was able to swerve into the middle lane to avoid me. Scared the crap outta me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have many problems with blind spots when using the side mirrors and rear view. With the top down, it's very easy to see behind me.

the only thing that get's me mad is that when looking back on my side or rearview mirror, I can never see the drivers cause they're sitting too high.
How am I supposed to see if they're checking me out. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Yep, thats a problem alright, especially with all the pickups, vans and suv's on the road today. Also, if you have a convertible and the top is up, visibility to the rear sucks too. :(

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re-read my post!

I don't have issues seeing what is on the side of me or behind me. I am tuned-in and know what is going on 360 degreesaround me!

I probably didn't explain myself well. Here is an example.

1) There is a 3 lane highway.
2) I am in the middle lane behind a pickup.
3) It would appear we are the ONLY two vehicles on the highway.
4) The highway is flat.
5) I am 3 car lengths behind him.
6) We are both doing 70 mph.

This pickup does not just obstruct my view of what is in front of him, but he ALSO blocks my view of what is going on in lane #1 and lane #3, ahead of him.

My issue is that there could be a car doing 55 mph in the left lane, and I won't know it until I creep over into the left lane and see the back of his car getting very close, very fast.

It is MUCH harder going into the right lane, because the driver sits on the left side of the car. And, you have to be half-way into the lane to see you are about to die from hitting a stalled car, or hitting a 2x4 that fell out of a truck.

I had a situation the other day in tight traffic. Traffic in the middle lane (that I was in) was slowing, but the right lane looked wide open. I inched over because I couldn't see necessarily what was in the right lane, ahead of the car in front of me.

So, I started going over, and was quickly greeted by a bunch of construction horses (they were closing the lane to work on the shoulder). Obviously I tucked back in the middle lane QUICK!

The car is low, but only an inch lower than stock. I suspect other folks have this issue, it's just that they are used to it. It's hard to see what is going on ahead with traffic, it's not SUV's fault, C4 vettes are LOW and the driver sits LOW and even a simple sedan can great distrupt your view.

Now, when I drive my LandRover, I can see over everything (and drive over anything), and I can change lanes very strategically because I can gauge the speed of all lanes, and how tight the cars are... and I can see what is going on 1 mile ahead.

:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
To answer your original question, Yes

·
Registered
44 Posts
HmMmMmMmM this is the worst prob for me.. two times something happened to me cause of this !!
-first:
i was getting out of college.. and driving up a bridge.. or well they call it a bridge , whatever ... i swereved into the last lane on the right and like i floored it.. so when i was on top of the bridge and can see everything down i saw a bunch of 2X4's in the road.. and they were BIG .. i had allready floored it.. so the car in front of me was beside me.. just like the speed bump thing all i could do was pray and hold on lol !! like **** MAAN .. it hurt going over those things.. :S .. you can guess the rest :p
-second time :
i was going about 65 .. and i was stuck like behind this jiant damn truck it was like those jiant garbage trucks.. he blocked the whole 2 lanes.. so i was like riding his bumber tell he flicked on his left turn signal.. so i floored it again lol to the right lane.. and guess what !!
. a dead car stopped !!! OUCH OUCH ! i dont know how i floored my brakes this time LOL .. and swereved left allmost hitting the truck.. and i heard a thump when i passed the dead car.. i think my mirror .. i couldnt stop shaking tell i got home ! hehehe
ok my 3rd story lol :
i was going about 110MPH and swerving in and out of traffic like a mad man lol.. and this half lorry was in front of me.. there was like so little space between him and the guy on the left lane behined him so i said what the HELL.. hehe my cars hood was half under the back side of the lorry when i passed hahaha.. my legs couldnt stop shaking again.. !! those were crazy days :p

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Patrick said:
...I usually ask my wife, "how does the middle lane look?"... because she is further to the right!
:agree:

I'm usually with my wife, and I find myself asking her the same thing for the same reason. Funny thing, when she's driving, she asks me!

When we're in the 4Runner, no problem for either of us.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
85blkz51 said:
Do you follow the 2 second rule? That might give you a little more heads up on the conditions ahead.
You mean tailgate for 2 seconds then pass?

:laughing: Kidding. There is no such thing as the two second rule in Chicago traffic.

You see, if I slow down to give two seconds between myself and the car in front of me, people will instantly fill that space and get in front of me. Traffic is thick here. So, suddenly I am right behind someones bumper again because they just cut in front of me.

Or worse, if I don't chew up some of the space in front of me some PSYCHO in a beat up '72 Pontiac rust bucket is going to tailgate me and get REALLY close, regardless of what lane I am in.

I think in Chicago they expect you to "draft" the car in front of you, or you better move on to the shoulder or sidewalk.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick said:
Re-read my post!

I don't have issues seeing what is on the side of me or behind me. I am tuned-in and know what is going on 360 degreesaround me!

I probably didn't explain myself well. Here is an example.

1) There is a 3 lane highway.
2) I am in the middle lane behind a pickup.
3) It would appear we are the ONLY two vehicles on the highway.
4) The highway is flat.
5) I am 3 car lengths behind him.
6) We are both doing 70 mph.

This pickup does not just obstruct my view of what is in front of him, but he ALSO blocks my view of what is going on in lane #1 and lane #3, ahead of him.

My issue is that there could be a car doing 55 mph in the left lane, and I won't know it until I creep over into the left lane and see the back of his car getting very close, very fast.

:thumbsup:
Been hittin' the caffeine again huh, brah? :smack
Seriously, you are describing Dallas EXACTLY!!! . Many people here have no concept that the RIGHT lane is for slower traffic and for those who are exiting.

Bubba can drahve his pickup truuuk whr'ever he wuuunts!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bkuper said:
Been hittin' the caffeine again huh, brah? :smack
Seriously, you are describing Dallas EXACTLY!!!
Brah? BRO!

Actually, that post was from September. Lord knows how much stress I was under at the time.:nuts:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick said:
Brah? BRO!

Actually, that post was from September. Lord knows how much stress I was under at the time.:nuts:
hasn't ended yet, now has it? :stick:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Patrick said:
You mean tailgate for 2 seconds then pass?

:laughing: Kidding. There is no such thing as the two second rule in Chicago traffic.

You see, if I slow down to give two seconds between myself and the car in front of me, people will instantly fill that space and get in front of me. Traffic is thick here. So, suddenly I am right behind someones bumper again because they just cut in front of me.

Or worse, if I don't chew up some of the space in front of me some PSYCHO in a beat up '72 Pontiac rust bucket is going to tailgate me and get REALLY close, regardless of what lane I am in.

I think in Chicago they expect you to "draft" the car in front of you, or you better move on to the shoulder or sidewalk.:laughing:
That is so MF'in true. It's almost impossible to 2 second in our area. I had some broad riding so close behind me that I felt the heat on the back of my neck from her headlights. Damn bitch!! If you don't "draft", the car you were originally behind will be out of sight in a matter of minutes from all the jag-offs that cut in front of you.

It's nice to drive the van b/c I'm so high up I can see everything. Then again, everyone thinks you're driving a dog and will cut you off if you leave just 1 car length between you and the car you're following but that's everywhere not just the Chicago area. On a trip to Bowling Green in 2002, I was usually the last in a line of cars b/c some son of a bitchs couldn't wait for me to go by, they kept cutting me off the whole friggin' way down there. They let the whole pack of cars go by but cut me off leaving me last in line again. I can't "draft" in the van b/c the thing is too heavy.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Patrick said:
These things are too low!

Anyone else driven crazy by the lack of visibility in heavier traffic conditions?! I find myself inching over to change lanes, because I cannot see around the cars in front of me.

I am cautious for fear that if I move into the adjacent lane that I'll be looking at a construction baracade or a car going 15mph under the limit!

Indecision kills.....make a decision and stick with it :D

They'll get the hell out of your way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts