Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted this question before but got very little response. Was wandering if anyone out has used tru flex replacement bumper and what luck if any they had in matching them up on the front. I had to completely fill the front corners with resin and was also wandering if anyone had a trick to getting the corner edges where the fender and the bumper meets shaped correctly to make them match.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Hiya. Sounds like you already started down your path. Maybe a used flexible bumper would have worked better?

I've seen several vettes (C4/C3) where the replacement aftermarket fiberglass front or rear bumper did not match up well. Maybe this is a common thing with aftermarket? I dunno.

Maybe post some pics so we can try to help you out?

·
Registered
746 Posts
mytoy74 said:
I know I posted this question before but got very little response. Was wandering if anyone out has used tru flex replacement bumper and what luck if any they had in matching them up on the front. I had to completely fill the front corners with resin and was also wandering if anyone had a trick to getting the corner edges where the fender and the bumper meets shaped correctly to make them match.
I went down this road last winter and decided on the fiberglass. I too had to class in the corners and one side was about 1/2 inch too short. Rather then fill in the gap with bondo I cut the bumper in two, clamped the pieces together for the best fit then fiberglassed them back together.
To make a perfect seam I sanded the front clip back for about 4 inches and also the bumper on the top and sides. I then used bondo and with a large plastic applicator put it over the front 3 inches of the clip and the same on the pumper. I then took a razor blade and run it along the seam in the soft bondo. I then let the bondo set. I then used a power sander to sand the seam, front clip and bumper as I piece. After filling sanding a few times the seam was perfect with only the razor blade parting line. I then removed the bumper, cleaned up the razor cut and painted the front of the clip and bumper seperate. After setting for a few days I wet sanded everything and buffed the paint out.
Turned out a perfect seam.
Good luck. I know you used a different pumper then me but I don't know if bondo would begin to stick to a flex surface.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts