Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the trunk mounted 6 disc changer work with the single disc radio in a 2LT convertible or is this changer only compatible with Navigation system radio?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
it should work just fine, i was going to do that to mine as well but decided to put a pioneer nav unit with a ipod attached to it. stores over 3500 songs thats plenty for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will the trunk mounted 6 disc changer work with the single disc radio in a 2LT convertible or is this changer only compatible with Navigation system radio?

Thanks,
Jimmy
I don't think it will. I just installed one in my car, which has NAV and XM. To install it you unplug the connector from the XM module, plug the six disc changer harness into the XM module, and then connect the plug you pulled out of the XM into the harness. The other end of the harness connects to the six disc changer. The NAV touch screen then shows two choices for CDs: CD and CDX. When you hit CDX, the screen shows six discs to choose from. Don't know if you have XM but, if you do, you could make the connections but without the NAV screen I'm not sure how you control the changer. In retrospect, the changer seemed like a good idea at first, but I now think it's kind of a waste of money. I just put over five CDs worth of music on one disc in mp3 format. The NAV screen shows song name, artist, and album and allows me to jump around through about six hours of material .... pretty slick compared to the CD changer menu that only gives the disc and track number just like they always have. Hoping against hope I tried an mp3 disc in the changer. It only recognizes CDs. I think your single disc radio's changer can play mp3s, and that might be your best option.

As for the six disc changer I spent over a month receiving, connecting and then returning changers. The first two were defective right out of the box. The third one works. If installed according to the instructions, you need to drill six holes in the bottom of the trunk compartment to mount the changer bracket. Given my experience I chose a less permanent method of installation.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't think it will. I just installed one in my car, which has NAV and XM. To install it you unplug the connector from the XM module, plug the six disc changer harness into the XM module, and then connect the plug you pulled out of the XM into the harness. The other end of the harness connects to the six disc changer. The NAV touch screen then shows two choices for CDs: CD and CDX. When you hit CDX, the screen shows six discs to choose from. Don't know if you have XM but, if you do, you could make the connections but without the NAV screen I'm not sure how you control the changer. In retrospect, the changer seemed like a good idea at first, but I now think it's kind of a waste of money. I just put over five CDs worth of music on one disc in mp3 format. The NAV screen shows song name, artist, and album and allows me to jump around through about six hours of material .... pretty slick compared to the CD changer menu that only gives the disc and track number just like they always have. Hoping against hope I tried an mp3 disc in the changer. It only recognizes CDs. I think your single disc radio's changer can play mp3s, and that might be your best option.

As for the six disc changer I spent over a month receiving, connecting and then returning changers. The first two were defective right out of the box. The third one works. If installed according to the instructions, you need to drill six holes in the bottom of the trunk compartment to mount the changer bracket. Given my experience I chose a less permanent method of installation.

He does not have nav though he has a 2LT package which does not have nav, xm, or bose speakers. I would skip the changer and wire in a ipod. there is a thread on here about adding one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does not have nav though he has a 2LT package which does not have nav, xm, or bose speakers. I would skip the changer and wire in a ipod. there is a thread on here about adding one.

Actually, I am thinking of ordering a 2008 2LT convertible which does have XM. It sounds like the 6 disk changer will work if you have XM.

Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I too have the 6 CD changer, and I like it a lot. I have a Z06 with the 2LZ package with Nav and XM, so it connected right up as described above. But I like how it integrates with the Nav screen. I just leave 6 of my favorite CDs in there most of the time. Also, I did not drill any holes at all - I simply set the changer in the left rear storage compartment without any hard mounting. It can't go anywhere and it works fine. The changer gives you an option, even if you have the single CD Nav unit.

Ray

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not ordering Navigation, so the question remains, will the 6 disc trunk mounted changer work with the radio in a 2008 2LT convertible?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not ordering Navigation, so the question remains, will the 6 disc trunk mounted changer work with the radio in a 2008 2LT convertible?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Actually Jimmy I think you're out of luck if you don't get the NAV system. The six CD changer is controlled from the touch screen of the NAV system, and it's covered in the NAV system supplement to the Owner's Manual. If you get the single disc radio, it doesn't look like there is any provision to control the changer. Seems like your only options are to go with the optional six disc radio (3LT??), get NAV (which you say you don't want), or go with an aftermarket changer which introduces a whole new set of circumstances on how to control and interface it into your car. If you ask someone at your Chevy dealer and they tell you it can be done, make sure you ask how the changer is controlled without the NAV radio.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually Jimmy I think you're out of luck if you don't get the NAV system. The six CD changer is controlled from the touch screen of the NAV system, and it's covered in the NAV system supplement to the Owner's Manual. If you get the single disc radio, it doesn't look like there is any provision to control the changer. Seems like your only options are to go with the optional six disc radio (3LT??), get NAV (which you say you don't want), or go with an aftermarket changer which introduces a whole new set of circumstances on how to control and interface it into your car. If you ask someone at your Chevy dealer and they tell you it can be done, make sure you ask how the changer is controlled without the NAV radio.
That's what I was afraid of. So, I guess I'll rant about "packaging" of options. Nah, I've already ranted about that ad nauseum.

Jimmy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts