Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd report back on my efforts to cut back on the road noise of my 2008 C6 Z51 with NPP exhaust. I have over 37 thousand miles....and

I love the car. Its really a great all around value performance machine yet as I rolled over 50 years old.....I tended to find the road noise or harmonics of the corvette wearing me down over the course of a few hours using my vette as a daily driver

Sure the corvette is beautiful, quick and good handling. Yes it has a top speed of 190 mph..yet with me driving over 37 thousand miles I found...it can have a harmonic sound inside the cabin that takes its toll as a daily driver so I started searching out ways to combat that issue.

I considered the kits where you need to pull out the interior and lay some material underneath the carpeting...but after examining the cost of the products and the cost or hassle for someone to install the kit.

I thought I'd give the relatively inexpensive and easily installed TKO performance Blockit kit. I was out in Long Island last week so I picked up the BlockIT kit. Installed in seconds...

and it really impressed me on the drive home. Seconds to install, looks good and most importantly it really cut down on the noise.

I don't have decibel ratings etc...yet I can tell you.....I took the edge off the sound wearing aspect of my c6 corvette coupe...

I had been thinking I could not continue to use my c6 z51 manual with NPP as a daily driver because the noise harmonics or whatever anyone wants to call it was beginning to wear me down after many miles in the car. Now with block it installed I can actually use my 2008 vette as a comfortable daily driver.

This is my third vette... a 99 coupe A4 Z51 and then c5 Z06..and now a C6 z51 with NPP.....

I have thought recently to sell my c6 corvette and go to say a CTS V coupe because it might be easier on me during my daily use of the vehicle...I really like the CTS V coupe but didn't care for the fact the roof doesn't come off (which I really enjoy) and I didn't love the fact I'd have to take an extra 40 grand of cash (plus my beloved c6 coupe)

Its a bitch getting older .... yet I still want to use my vette everyday without quite as much wear and tear on me.

The simple to install block it kit has made this possible.

I highly recommend this product for its ease of installation and most importantly for its effectiveness....

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Cool:thumbsup: put up some pics of the kit if you are able.

I run a Corvette emblem rear mat and cut a piece of Quiet Cool to fit the trunk space and put it under the mat. The Quiet Cool combined with the quiet on cruise Corsa's make my Z51 very quiet on cruise even with an almost 700hp engine thumping under the hood. Put your foot in it and it as a totally different story:devil:

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like you've got it covered..

I didn't so I bought this TKO kit. They are located in Bay shore NY and they make it, sell it...and can explain it better than I could.

They have photos too.

For those that want a quick simple neat sound deadening improvement this kit worked for me.

I'm very happy with it.

Cost me 220 and looks good...plus it has the two pieces behind the front seats which must be important to further cut noises.

HTH

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Cost me 220 and looks good...plus it has the two pieces behind the front seats which must be important to further cut noises.

HTH
That is the one part that is open on my setup. I used Quiet and Cool under the console to reduce heat in the Console compartment but it also reduced the roar noise a bit. Sounds like a good solution and not much more expensive than my do it yourself solution:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about tire noise... the eagle F1 Supercar tires are noisy! try the Pilot Sport Ps2's ??
thank you....

I did already dump the runflats for non runflat tires and I am very pleased with the improvement on that as well. I did that over a year and a half ago.

this new blockit kit has dramatically improved the daily driving experience by lowering the noise level successfully.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool:thumbsup: put up some pics of the kit if you are able.

I run a Corvette emblem rear mat and cut a piece of Quiet Cool to fit the trunk space and put it under the mat. The Quiet Cool combined with the quiet on cruise Corsa's make my Z51 very quiet on cruise even with an almost 700hp engine thumping under the hood. Put your foot in it and it as a totally different story:devil:

What is Quiet Cool and where do you find it? I did a google search and got air conditioners.....

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
What is Quiet Cool and where do you find it? I did a google search and got air conditioners.....
They have changed the product name since I installed mine. It is now called Cool-It Mat. It is made by Thermo-Tec. I got mine through a friend who owns a body shop in Carrolton. He buys it in rolls but retail it comes in pre-cut sheets. Thermo-Tec makes other insulating products like Spark Plug Wire sleeves and adhesive sound/heat matting that installs under the carpet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They have changed the product name since I installed mine. It is now called Cool-It Mat. It is made by Thermo-Tec. I got mine through a friend who owns a body shop in Carrolton. He buys it in rolls but retail it comes in pre-cut sheets. Thermo-Tec makes other insulating products like Spark Plug Wire sleeves and adhesive sound/heat matting that installs under the carpet.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I too sometimes wish my '09 Z51 was a little more quiet. I'm only 65 but I still sometimes get tired of the road noise. The heat in some areas could be a little better controlled too....
I was looking around in the McMaster catalog to see what was available. I think that insulation padding should be pretty cheap. I don't mind people making a profit and all, but I don't like to pay 5X more for something just because it's sold as "automotive accessories". Also, I guess unlike many Vette owners, I'm just not flush with cash these days ;)

Update!

Just looked it up and it seems to be pretty reasonably priced!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts