Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal... I once owned a black '67 coupe, red stinger and a 435HP L71 engine... yeah, I know... why did I sell it? Just needed the money (at the time) I whined about it then but there's no point in looking back. I love black cars, in my opinion nothing is prettier (when it's clean) and nothing is uglier (when it's dirty). I don't mind the effort it takes to keep up on the frequent cleaning (California Dusters work great between washes). Always did like caressing the lines and curves of a beautiful... um, Vette!:surprised

I've watched the C6 develop over the past few years and have regularly visited DC to keep up on things. With the new '08, I think it's about time to pull some green out of the mattress and get one. But now I'm in a quandry, while I love black the silver and orange look pretty enticing. If they produced the car in Anniversary Red I go that way for sure.

Oh I'll decide on a color, eventually, but my question is this, given the paint formulations that GM uses on Vettes today, is there any difference in "strength" against sun fade or other paint annomolies that occur between the different colors of paint? I've heard rumor that red is pretty tough, silver deteriorates faster than other colors, blue is pretty good, etc., etc. (I've had silver flake and sluff off two other vehicles - each were two year old Chrysler products).

Not being a painter or chemist, I thought I'd pose the question here and hopefully get some "informed" opinions.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Two cents:
Black has the most UV inhibtors but it's a killer in the south.
White has the least but the most thermal radiation reflectivity.

And for a few cents more:
Todays formulations are all superb. Buy what you love.

And the final thought:
We all polish the %$&# out of our Vettes so it's really a moot point.;)

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Two cents:

And the final thought:
:agree: Buy what you like! Sounds like you already know what you want. Since there is no Anniversary Red, go black and just keep her nice and clean! Have fun with the new C6, it is really really the best Vette yet! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I wanted and bought black, and as I just wanted Z-51 and 6 speed, have the 1LT interior--also black. All things considered, I would order 2 tone--red and black interior next time. Also, red Grand Sport fender stripes look the best on black. There, I've made your decision for you. (Please send me $25) Get black, do the red two tone inside and put the GS stripes on. Won't quite be you '67, but it will look s**T hot, as we used to say before the PC Air Force took over...:cheers:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah I was a little disappointed with the '08 color selection. Mainly because they replaced LMB with whatever the hell that color is.

If I wouldn't have already had a black car in my garage, I would have gone black. Nothing beats a clean black car.

I would do the red combo interior too. I wanted a black C5 Z06 with the mod red interior for the longest time. But by the time was in position to buy one, the C6 was out.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
For some reason, I think the lighter colors, especially the silver, look better on the C6 due to the cuts in the fender lines. I think the darker colors hide lines. JMO.

However, I would also like to see a picture of the new 08' red to compare.

I really think the 08 Z51 is a great deal! Add the two-tone interior as previously discussed and you've got a great car! I think the titanium/black two tone matched with a sliver verte! Ouch! :partyon:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This has been helpful...

The red and black combination is exactly what I've been think about. I hadn't thought about adding the GS stripes but that would be a nice touch. The $25 is in the mail ;-) I'm somewhat partial to the coupe, but showing off the red two tone interior with the 'vert would be great too. Since it appears that paint is a non issue, it's now down to coupe or 'vert. Thanks to everyone!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The red and black combination is exactly what I've been think about. I hadn't thought about adding the GS stripes but that would be a nice touch. The $25 is in the mail ;-) I'm somewhat partial to the coupe, but showing off the red two tone interior with the 'vert would be great too. Since it appears that paint is a non issue, it's now down to coupe or 'vert. Thanks to everyone!!

OK, you're sitting at the stop light on a beautiful, sunny UT day. You're in your black C6 verte with the two-tone ebony/red interior and you decide to open the roof with the automatic opener. The roof opens and disappears into the rear trunk compartment showing off the two-tone interior. A collective golf clap is heard from the nearby cars...

Nuff said... :laughing:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
OK, you're sitting at the stop light on a beautiful, sunny UT day. You're in your black C6 verte with the two-tone ebony/red interior and you decide to open the roof with the automatic opener. The roof opens and disappears into the rear trunk compartment showing off the two-tone interior. A collective golf clap is heard from the nearby cars...

Nuff said... :laughing:
True.....but keep in mind.... You can hear that collective golf clap in the coupe as well...targa top off...windows down...ect..ect:thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am right there with you. I'd have a LMB Vert in a minute if they still had it. I saw the Jetstream Blue and the Crystal Red at EVS Corvette show. I saw them the night before in the fading sun, the twilight dusk and then the next day in regular daytime, overcast and then the rain. It was kind of nice to get all perspectives. Both colors looked better in person than I thought. The Jetstream Blue looked best in the dark - like when I couldn't tell what color it was! :thumbsup:. The Crystal Red was closer to the Monterey Red it is replacing than to Victory Red, but not quite enough for me to actually buy.

I DO like the Yellow with a black top and a nice wide black stripe down the hood but I feel I would just stand out too much. I have too spirited a drviing style to pull that off.

I guess it's going to be black for me too. I do like the thought of the black/red interior and the red fender stripes. If you do it please post pics.

Good luck.

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
green we want dark green please give us green just one car please

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have had two maroon and two green Vettes and now have Black...it has got to be Black...once you have had Black you cannot go back...to any other color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
green we want dark green please give us green just one car please
Chevy had a color, I think '66 or so, called "Glenwood Green." Man, I loved that color, with black interior, on the Stingray. Mustang's "Bullett" green was cool too--my wife had a '68 Fastback that color. That and blues were the muscle car years colors, imo. Green now, and I liked Polo Green, is out of favor big time except BRG on Astons and XK8s. Too bad. But, what goes around comes around. :cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chevy had a color, I think '66 or so, called "Glenwood Green." Man, I loved that color, with black interior, on the Stingray. Mustang's "Bullett" green was cool too--my wife had a '68 Fastback that color. That and blues were the muscle car years colors, imo. Green now, and I liked Polo Green, is out of favor big time except BRG on Astons and XK8s. Too bad. But, what goes around comes around. :cheers:
The color was Goodwood Green. I'm not sure if it was availble in '66 but it definitely was in '67. It looked great.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a 1968 in British Green and a 1972 in Elkhart Green; loved them both but I still now prefer Black above all other possible choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The clearcoat used on the vette is a urethane. Very durable.

Black is one of worst for durability if the car sits outside. The combination of UV rays from the sun and the heat build up will accelerate degradation.

From a color fade standpoint, reds are the worst. The bright, rich reds are based on organic pigments that get broken down by the UV in the sun.

When we test new paint systems, we screen using 4 colors. BLack,White,Silver, Red metallic.

But being a vette owner, I doubt you will be storing it outside.

Get what you want, you will have no issues.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i had the same problem....with color choice that is...

i couldnt decide between LMB, Atomic orange, or jetstream....and well since i saw some lemans blue's while the sun wasnt shining i can honestly say i really started to hate the color...looked almost purple to me...very boring color when there is an overcast

and the jetstream...well since the color just came out in 08 i just didnt see the advantage of getting a new car for thousands more with an engine that will just get taken out immediately anyway,

so obviously i am going with atomic orange...

either way best of luck finding the right one for YOU

·
SinisterC6's Daddy
1,026 Posts
Two cents:

And the final thought:
:agree: Was at home on vacation this week, and not that it needed it, but waxed and polished my car, twice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts