Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting a bit ridiculous... no wonder this government is so scared of it's citizens.

TSA Admits ‘Bad Judgment’ After Disabled Man Subjected to Airport Pat-Down

A Detroit father said agents with the Transportation Security Administration singled out his special-needs son for a pat-down while the family was headed to Disney World, MyFoxDetroit.com reported, an incident that the TSA admitted was a “case of bad judgment.”

David Mandy said agents at Detroit Metro Airport took his son Drew, 29, and asked him about the padding underneath his pants, which turned out to be adult diapers. Drew, who is severely mentally disabled, had trouble understanding the agents’ orders because his family said he has the mental capacity of a 2-year-old.

When the father tried to intervene and explain Drew’s disability, he said the two agents said, “Please, sir, we know what we’re doing.”

The agents confiscated a six-inch plastic hammer, something Drew had carried with him for 20 years for comfort. Agents called it a security threat, his father said, adding that they tapped the wall with it and said, “See, it’s hard. It could be used as a weapon.”

The family was told they’d have to ship the hammer if they wanted to keep it, David Mandy said.
“I understand they’re trying to keep people safe,” Mandy said told MyFoxDetroit.com. “But come on, does he look like a terrorist?”

In a statement to FoxNews.com, the TSA said it’s reviewing the incident but early findings indicate this was an “isolated case of bad judgment.” The TSA reached out to the Mandy family to apologize and said the man’s toy hammer should have never been confiscated.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
this is getting a bit ridiculous... No wonder this government is so scared of it's citizens.

tsa admits ‘bad judgment’ after disabled man subjected to airport pat-down

a detroit father said agents with the transportation security administration singled out his special-needs son for a pat-down while the family was headed to disney world, myfoxdetroit.com reported, an incident that the tsa admitted was a “case of bad judgment.”

david mandy said agents at detroit metro airport took his son drew, 29, and asked him about the padding underneath his pants, which turned out to be adult diapers. Drew, who is severely mentally disabled, had trouble understanding the agents’ orders because his family said he has the mental capacity of a 2-year-old.

When the father tried to intervene and explain drew’s disability, he said the two agents said, “please, sir, we know what we’re doing.”

the agents confiscated a six-inch plastic hammer, something drew had carried with him for 20 years for comfort. Agents called it a security threat, his father said, adding that they tapped the wall with it and said, “see, it’s hard. It could be used as a weapon.”

the family was told they’d have to ship the hammer if they wanted to keep it, david mandy said.
“i understand they’re trying to keep people safe,” mandy said told myfoxdetroit.com. “but come on, does he look like a terrorist?”

in a statement to foxnews.com, the tsa said it’s reviewing the incident but early findings indicate this was an “isolated case of bad judgment.” the tsa reached out to the mandy family to apologize and said the man’s toy hammer should have never been confiscated.
isolated?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
isolated?!?!?!?!
It's almost laughable. The stuff I see and go through every week traveling for my job is crazy. I have seen someone go through an extensive search because his cell phone slid into his shoe when the pre-screen TSA agent consolidated his trays before scanning. The scanning agent yells out something in his shoe and the poor guys trouble began.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
So, let me get tis straight...
This administration and in particular, Janet Incompitano, treats our natrual citizens like criminals, and the illegal aliens can come and go as they please...as long as they're illegal and aliens...got it...I think...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
710 Posts
This administration and in particular, Janet Incompitano, treats our natrual citizens like criminals, and the illegal aliens can come and go as they please...as long as they're illegal and aliens...got it...I think...:rolleyes:
Nope. You got it. pretty much hit the nail on the head.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, it's almost like their trying to find the right "button"..

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
This administration and in particular, Janet Incompitano, treats our natural citizens like criminals, and the illegal aliens can come and go as they please...as long as they're illegal and aliens...got it...I think...:rolleyes:
I wish it was limited to this Administration. The assumption that any electronic communication or public travel is private is incorrect as both records and recording of the data have been declared within bounds of Law Enforcement. If it's available to Law Enforcement electronically it is generally available to Electronic hackers. I would advise investing in private Courier Companies that is a segment destined for growth.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Patting him down was completely justified. As a vulnerable adult, he could be used as a mule to smuggle something dangerous onto a plane. It has been tried before.

A plastic hammer is not it...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Patting him down was completely justified. As a vulnerable adult, he could be used as a mule to smuggle something dangerous onto a plane. It has been tried before.
I know, it soooo scary. I think there should be "special" line to pat these retards down, just so we don't miss any.

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I know, it soooo scary. I think there should be "special" line to pat these retards down, just so we don't miss any.

:rolleyes:
and a line for towelheads so we can be sure to NOT search them, wouldnt want them to think we were profiling them or anything....

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
and a line for towelheads so we can be sure to NOT search them, wouldnt want them to think we were profiling them or anything....
:agree:
This was surely a case of towel butt and not towel head. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I am in favor of profiling. Almost every other country does it. We do it at a different level than airport screening. I think that is a mistake. We have LOTS of hard intel that they are seeking our transportation infrastructure. So, it would make sense to profile there, too.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in favor of profiling. Almost every other country does it. We do it at a different level than airport screening. I think that is a mistake. We have LOTS of hard intel that they are seeking our transportation infrastructure. So, it would make sense to profile there, too.
Napolitano said it's not necessary. And in their reality, it's not.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Napolitano said it's not necessary. And in their reality, it's not.
She wasn't there when we wrote the rules. Of course she has to say that, politically. It was a known eventuality when we wrote the rules. If you only knew what happens to your bags when they go behind the counter...

:lookinup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She wasn't there when we wrote the rules. Of course she has to say that, politically. It was a known eventuality when we wrote the rules. If you only knew what happens to your bags when they go behind the counter...

:lookinup:
Oh BS, her and this admin can rewrite the rules, they do it on a daily basis with everything from the FDA, to the EPA & FCC..

I quit flying years ago, if I can't drive there, I don't need to go.. :laughing: I don't mind being fondled, but I prefer it not be some male sex offender.. :lookinup:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I appreciate the article. i have an 15 year old special needs child and I am sad to read such treatment...

thats very sad to hear what occured.

It could have been handled better ....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Typical TSA screener's primary responsibility on last job:

"Want fries with that?"

·
Registered
710 Posts
What kills me about these stories is the complete and utter lack of accountability of the TSA and its agents. We keep hearing stories like these and keep getting the same response; "Yeah, um... In hind-sight, that probably wasn't the best idea and should have been handled differently" But its not. And it won't be. And we will continue to hear stories and upsetting as this one and the 6yo mnolsetation story.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
What kills me about these stories is the complete and utter lack of accountability of the TSA and its agents. We keep hearing stories like these and keep getting the same response; "Yeah, um... In hind-sight, that probably wasn't the best idea and should have been handled differently" But its not. And it won't be. And we will continue to hear stories and upsetting as this one and the 6yo mnolsetation story.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Those who have been once intoxicated with power and have derived any kind of emolument from it can never willingly abandon it." -- Edmund Burke

"The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated in the name of the noblest causes." -- Thomas Paine

"The trade-off between freedom and security, so often proposed so seductively, very often leads to the loss of both." -- Christopher Hitchens

"Freedom is never an achieved state; like electricity, we've got to keep generating it or the lights go out." -- Wayne LaPierre

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." -- Frederick Douglass

"For those looking for security, be forewarned that there's nothing more insecure than a political promise." -- Harry Browne

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Typical TSA screener's primary responsibility on last job:

"Want fries with that?"
Not true. Well, at least not at first. TSA was filled up with the most professional of educated people who were layed off at the end of the tech boom. Now? Probably the same twits that were replaced. People with any sense of pride do not stay in that job for long at all. It just flat out sucks. Most would rather flip burgers if they could get the work.

I had to hold monthly 'What was your worst job' seminars for new hires to get them all fired up for the hell they had no idea ther were about to encounter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts