Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to install TT IIs on my car. 20x8 all the way around. With 4 1/2 back space or 0 offset. Was told by tire guy that I might have a problem with front calipers hitting back of wheels. I have the stock Delco Moraines on my car, all the guys with C3s are they having issues with the calipers and the TT IIs. He said something about maybe a J-56 or J-86 caliper???? anyone got the details, please lets here it. thanks
Don

·
Registered
959 Posts
I can`t comment on the wheels because I don`t know the answer BUT I can comment on the calipers...a J-56 caliper is the same caliper casting as a standard caliper. If you have a single large pin holding your pad in it on the top in the center it is a standard caliper. as to spacers...I read where someone somewhere else posted they are for trailered cars ONLY (more mis-information)....see my avatar?? thats my car and it has been running a .500 thick aluminum spacer with 1/2" wheel studs for 10 years without issue.
...redvetracr

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I have not heard of any problem with the TT II wheels on the C3, but I do know, and have seen, that many of the older mag wheels simply will not work without rubbing the caliper.

With that said, the fix is usually to slip in a spacer. There are spacers, and there are adapters. The spacer simply slides over the studs (usually no more than 1/4" thick) and then the wheel goes on. An adapter actually bolts to the hub, then the wheel bolts to it.

I would suspect you won't have any problems at all with your plan using those wheels at that size.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just put a set of 17 x 8's TTII's (with 4.00" backspace ) on my 78 which uses the same calipers as your 71. And I've got at least 3/8" - 1/2" clearance between the caliper and the spokes of the rim, and of plenty of room for the top of caliper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks tmtnet, for that info. seeing you did it Ill go with your advise.. could you send me a picture of your car with the TT IIs on it.. Iam thinking now of going with the 18s instead of the 20" would like to see your 17s
[email protected]

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here are some pics of my 78 with 17 x 8 American Racing Torq Thurst II's with 4.00" backspace on 255/45ZR17 Sumitomo HTRZ tires.

The car is stock height and has stock trailing arms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent.. I like it guys.. Tell me I think I want to go with the 18x8" just to get a little more lower profile tire. I can assume that the back spacing and Offset should stay the same, Right? Also can I get a little wider tire in the back compared to the front? thanks for the feedback..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts