Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a C6 Tuner near Lynchburg, VA that could install a Supercherger?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan - good to hear from someone from the burg. I believe I could get headers put on hear, but something like a supercharger, I would want someone that had done this before. Is that a reasonable expectation or can any mechanic do the install?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tony's Gaithersbug, MD

Tony is one of the best shops anywhere. Give him a call, get a tour. And they can do ANYTHING to your car you want. And his work is 1st rate. He always works really hard to make sure you're 100% happy.

On a Friday night, the guy even waited 2 hours after closing to 8 pm for me, becuase I was stuck in traffic. Then spent another full 1/2 hour going over my car with me to make sure I was happy.

Top service, top work. Can't say enought...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Martin. I sent Tony a message asking him what installation would cost and how long it would take. He is 210 miles from my house (approx 4 hrs. 20 min.). I suppose I would have my wife follow me to his shop and drop off the car. Maybe they could install in the same day?

Anyway, thanks for the shop information. I guess I better start asking for the wife's permission to do this since it is a huge chunk of change. I guess I could tell her this is going to same me from buying a new 2008 Z06!:smack

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tony is one of the best shops anywhere. Give him a call, get a tour. And they can do ANYTHING to your car you want. And his work is 1st rate. He always works really hard to make sure you're 100% happy.

On a Friday night, the guy even waited 2 hours after closing to 8 pm for me, becuase I was stuck in traffic. Then spent another full 1/2 hour going over my car with me to make sure I was happy.

Top service, top work. Can't say enought...

:thumbsup:
I'll second that; they are not the cheapest but they stand by their work and will not give you your car until the work is done right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
S/c

That is a drive. Some guys that don't live near shops simply ship their cars, one or both ways. I know Dynotech does this. But if you drive it, look at it this way, with a S/C you can drive home faster.

An S/C or Z-06 is a very personal choice, but a Z-06 if it's do-able, might keep things more simple. You can always tell your wife you're doing both. :cheers:

Best of luck with the project!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give Ed Hutchings a call, he of Automotive Technologies...its the same company at this web site: http://www.hpracecraft.com/contact.html
Thanks..Ed said he could do the install for $900.00 plus $500.00 for the tuning which is not bad. The supercharger installed will cost around $8000.00. He seemed to have some other ideas to boost performance. I asked him to give me some more ideas for boosting from 400 HP to 500 HP and see if I can hit in between the $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 range in cost. That would be a better sell to the wife!:partyon:

·
Registered
227 Posts
wife, what wife?

I hear you brother. :D So...

I don't know if you already have headers. With the right heads/cam on a LS2 you should have NO problem getting to 500 rwhp. That can be done for about 5k. And for 3K a cam, done right, depending on cam selection, could get you to the 420 to 440 rwhp range. These cars don't need a crazy cam to make great numbers. With all that new power -- the real problem will be getting it to the ground. Spin. Wheel hop. So, I would think about tires/shocks. Another words, I would think about the whole package.

Myself, I love the grunt of a S/C, but heads/cam seem more easy on the long hall. But if you ever want to go back to stock, to sell, whatever, more easy to remove the S/C, long as you save all your stock parts. I guess it just depends on your goals. Remember, GM just upped the price of stock parts by 1/3. Yes, really. So if you mod, keep those stock parts!!! You'll be happy no matter what. Let me know how it goes. :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
kevinmatt...lets us know what Ed suggests for n/a, I'd be curious as to which way you go. You should slide down to his shop for a walk thru.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Response from Ed Hutchings - The HP Factory

Here's what Ed suggests:

50 HP - Headers, a good exhaust system, underdrive pulley and a CAI Tune for $2500-$2800 range parts and labor.

100 HP - Head and Cam Package, headers and exhaust, and CAI Tune - $6000 parts and labor

200 HP (I think) Supercharger like I said in my post above is $8000 parts and labor.

So it appears to me that if I am satisfied with Z-06 like performance, I could do this for $6000.00 parts and labor. Does that sound reasonable folks? I like the idea of being able to remove the parts if I sell the car. I just looked at a Z-06 yesterday and they only wanted to give me $35K on trade-in. I paid $49K for it in 2006 and do not plan on losing that much money. I can't afford a Z-06 anyways I found out. It makes these mods look really good. I love my car anyways. There's nothing wrong with it.

I'm going to call and talk to him further and maybe visit hi shop for a walk through in the near future.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You say, 100 HP - Head and Cam Package, headers and exhaust, and CAI Tune - $6000 parts and labor.

Sounds about right. I would just say be careful about package selection. Study up. Also know, and maybe you do, you're likely to get a very small % of mod money back when you sell the car. And it will make your car much harder to sell. So many of us on these boards mod, but that's not what most who own a Vette do. So when people buy used, they look for stock, or very close to it. Stock with a few simple bolt-ons. So, if you plan on keeping your car for a LONG time and "driving" those mods (heads/cam), great, that's another story.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You say, 100 HP - Head and Cam Package, headers and exhaust, and CAI Tune - $6000 parts and labor.

Sounds about right. I would just say be careful about package selection. Study up. Also know, and maybe you do, you're likely to get a very small % of mod money back when you sell the car. And it will make your car much harder to sell. So many of us on these boards mod, but that's not what most who own a Vette do. So when people buy used, they look for stock, or very close to it. Stock with a few simple bolt-ons. So, if you plan on keeping your car for a LONG time and "driving" those mods (heads/cam), great, that's another story.
Thanks for that feedback Martin - After my visit to the dealership and them wanting to give me $35K on trade in, I believe I will keep this car quite some time. You do have to consider resale value when you tune a car. I realize in the long run I will lose, but it will be worth it to have that much power! I can mod a bunch cheaper than investing in a Z06 to get 505 hP. I read a good article on the L92 Heads and the L76 Intake at gmhightechperformance.com. I believe the link is:

http://gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0702gm_ls2_engine_l92_heads/dyno_test.html

I do not have the specifics on the cam yet. I was thinking about something in the middle of mild to wild. Any thoughts on cam selection?

Ed is going to put together a detailed estimate over the next couple of days.

Do you think paying the extra $2000 is worth it to get the ATI Procharger Supercharger ( at $8K parts and labor)? You would have to pay to remove it (approx $1000.00) prior to selling the car and another $1400.00 to install it on another car including a tune. I'm not even sure if you could install this on a new model Vette? I guess you caould always sell it used?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Since you asked...

To answer your questions:

First I would say this all a matter of personal preface and goals. And if you can, find someone that’s done the Procharger, and find someone that’s done heads/cam on a C6 and get a ride. Find out what they like and don’t. See what the ride does for YOU. The thing I see over and over is once people have done a package, they’ve invested a lot of money and emotion into it, so they’ll tell you this is the way to go. I say get a ride in a similar car with the mods you’re thinking of, or drive one if you can. See what YOU like.

If I were ever planning on selling the car, like say when they come out with the C7, (rumored to be stock/base at 500 hp), AND wanting an easy sale, and to get more money back, I’d do the Procharger now, then take the car back to stock, then sell the Procharger used.

Clean, easy, simple.

If I knew I were keeping the car a LONG time, and/or knew I didn’t care about the re-sale, I’d be more likely to do the cam/heads. As they cost less, and boosting has it’s own set of problems.

Re: the L92 Heads and the L76 Intake, folks seem to be having problems making this combo work and getting power across the full band. So far the best results I’ve seen with this setup and power across the band are by Dynotech. BUT they will not sell the package without doing the install. If you want specifics on this package, PM me, I’ll send them to you. You can also check them out at:

www.dynotech-eng.com

A LOT of folks seem to really like the Cartek Stage 2 package for a combination of power and street manners. More 411 at:

www.cartek.net

I would start narrowing down your choices a bit. Consider the following:

1. What is your overall budget?
2. Do you need to be able to pass an emissions test w/a tailpipe sniffer?
3. Do you plan to change the intake (FAST or equivalent)?
4. Do you plan to change gears?
5. Is your car an M6, or A6?
6. If it's an auto tranny, do you plan to get a torque converter? If so, what stall?
7. Do you plan to use nitrous, or forced induction?
8. Do you want a completely stealthy idle, a moderate lope, or a nasty sounding race car sound?
9. What is your horsepower goal?
10. How often do you plan to race the car --- weekly, once a month or so, just a few times a year, or not at all?

In the end, I would go with a proven combination. If you talk to these shops, some will tell you privately people can spend a ton on mods, and not be happy with the result. Do the homework, take your time. It’s a nice day out, take that bad boy out for a drive. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys. I'm Ed Hutchings, the guy ya'll are talkin bout. My ears are ringin!
First off, I want to thank Scooby for the reference.
Second, I'll just tell you that I've got a butt load of exp with FI cars, vettes and otherwise, as well as a ton of head and cam package exp, vette and otherwise.
Anybody wants to come down and take a ride in any of the vehicles we've built just let me know. Our shop is always full of sick azz rides. Some we've built. Some we're just sorting out because nobody else can.
Some of you know me from CF. Some may know me from LS1tech. My screen name is always the same.
I am an ASE master tech, with advanced engine performance certification.
I specialize in driveability and diagnostics. Tuning is just part of that. Gotta understand em thoroughly before you can tune em.
Dont want anyone thinking I'm here fishing for bizness, so I'm gonna see about sponsoring. Because its the right thing to do.
Thanks for readin this, and thanks Kevin for the opportunity to serve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: the L92 Heads and the L76 Intake, folks seem to be having problems making this combo work and getting power across the full band. So far the best results I’ve seen with this setup and power across the band are by Dynotech. BUT they will not sell the package without doing the install. If you want specifics on this package, PM me, I’ll send them to you. You can also check them out at:
This is a L92/L76 swap we did. We swapped the cam for a milder one, installed CNC L92s in place of unported ones, dropped the compression, improved the driveability greatly, AND PICKED UP 25 HP AT THE WHEELS. Do a search on CF or LS1tech on this car. We got rave reviews.
We've also built several LS2 403s, along with other LS1s, stock displacement, strokers, 6 litres, etc. We prefer to use ETP 11 degree heads. But they are expensive.
The issues people are having with the L92 heads are nothing more than over camming issues. They seem to want an earlier intake valve closing point.
They are hands down the best performance head FOR THE MONEY. Most aftermarkets will out flow/out perform, but at added expense.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is a L92/L76 swap we did. We swapped the cam for a milder one, installed CNC L92s in place of unported ones, dropped the compression, improved the driveability greatly, AND PICKED UP 25 HP AT THE WHEELS. Do a search on CF or LS1tech on this car. We got rave reviews.
We've also built several LS2 403s, along with other LS1s, stock displacement, strokers, 6 litres, etc. We prefer to use ETP 11 degree heads. But they are expensive.
The issues people are having with the L92 heads are nothing more than over camming issues. They seem to want an earlier intake valve closing point.
They are hands down the best performance head FOR THE MONEY. Most aftermarkets will out flow/out perform, but at added expense.
This is ALL very true, and I remember the very car, even when it started! Great numbers. I keep doing the "added expense" thing. Hope you'll let Kevin drive some cars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is ALL very true, and I remember the very car, even when it started! Great numbers. I keep doing the "added expense" thing. Hope you'll let Kevin drive some cars. :thumbsup:
Ironically enough, the owner of that white vert's name is Kevin.
Thanks for the compliment, and yes, we'll take Kevin on a white knuckle ride!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see Ed Hutchenson Joined In

Martin/Ed - It helped a lot to sit down and write goals

Car - 2006 C6 LS2, Z51, 400 SAE HP Estimated 340 RWHP, 6 Speed Manual, 3.42 Rear Axial Ratio

Goals:

Horsepower - 90 RWHP gain (Target 430 RWHP)Budget - $5000.00 to 6,000.00
Plan to change Intake (Maybe L76 depending on heads used)
Do not plan to change 3.42 gearing but open to suggestions
Car M6 or A6 - How do ya tell?
Cam - Want moderate Lope
Use - Plan to take to VIR Raceway 1-2 times a year. Want power full range
Nitrous or CAI - Will stick with CAI maybe Honker - will see what Ed recommends
Headers - Yes
Exhaust change - Yes
Heads - Ed thinks yes - (Maybe the L92 Heads)

I realize now that I will need tires/shocks to help get me to Z06 performance.

I'm still thinking about the supercharger, however, it is really going to put a strain on the budget if I go that route.

I have not talked to Ed about this yet, but maybe I can achieve the HP I need without the Heads and save some more money. I assume this can be done later.

I'm going to try to get over to The HP Factory in Chesapeake, VA next week. This is about 210 miles from my house. Ed has been really good in answering my questions thus far and the questions have been numerous LOL.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts