Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen about six or seven C6's tuned and all but one had the usual bolt ons. What amazes me is the varied results. What amazes me more is why the results vary. :WTF It makes no sense at all.

I have seen the exact same program put into two cars and one makes good gains and the other makes little gains: why? I have watched the tuner do everything in the book to make power and I have watched him do seemingly counter productive things that made power. Go figure!

Both times SS and I have been within 1 HP of each other - same results. Why?

It has been suggested to me that it could be cam timing at engine build and other varied things. It has been suggested that how you break the car in is important too, who knows (but I did hammer mind from day 1 to 6,000 rpm).

These cars are a mystery to me and they have to be a source of great angst for the tuner 'cause you never know what the results will be when you are finished.

To the tuners out there, ny hat is off to you all. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
olddog said:
I have seen about six or seven C6's tuned and all but one had the usual bolt ons. What amazes me is the varied results. What amazes me more is why the results vary. :WTF It makes no sense at all.

I have seen the exact same program put into two cars and one makes good gains and the other makes little gains: why? I have watched the tuner do everything in the book to make power and I have watched him do seemingly counter productive things that made power. Go figure!

Both times SS and I have been within 1 HP of each other - same results. Why?

It has been suggested to me that it could be cam timing at engine build and other varied things. It has been suggested that how you break the car in is important too, who knows (but I did hammer mind from day 1 to 6,000 rpm).

These cars are a mystery to me and they have to be a source of great angst for the tuner 'cause you never know what the results will be when you are finished.

To the tuners out there, ny hat is off to you all. :thumbsup:

I'll catch that hat! lol:cheers:

I too, agree that there are many variances in the results seen on any of these cars. That's actually a great point about why mail order tuning is, at best, hit-or-miss. Nothing compares to a great dyno tune -- for sure.

Now, Old Dog, I didn't know you were a tuner?:partyon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am a tuner - 69 Camaro, 522" drag/pro street car. I have actually gotten very good with Dominators. Not bad at reading plugs either.

The new stuff - - you must be kidding; but I can change tha oil and air filter etc. Beyond that I call Jeremy. These EFI units and the ECU's are something that is far beyond my experience and it will stay that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
olddog said:
Yeah, I am a tuner - 69 Camaro, 522" drag/pro street car. I have actually gotten very good with Dominators. Not bad at reading plugs either.

The new stuff - - you must be kidding; but I can change tha oil and air filter etc. Beyond that I call Jeremy. These EFI units and the ECU's are something that is far beyond my experience and it will stay that way.

I figured you knew the carb stuff pretty well. To me, carbs look like just a mess of screws and vacuum lines, like looking at noise. Probably like how most carb tuners see EFI tuning tables -- same thing I guess.

I'll be inputing my 7 years of EFI tuning knowledge here a little more often. I can't let Jeremy get ALL that national business!:smack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bry,

Anything with the word electronic in it scares hell out of me as I am computer & electronic illiterate and hope to ramain as such.

I know a touch about the Dominator and what makes it work and how most screw them up. I know enough about blown nitro cars to be dangerous and I find the more I learn about these things the less I actually know - makes me crazy. :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
olddog said:
Bry,

Anything with the word electronic in it scares hell out of me as I am computer & electronic illiterate and hope to ramain as such.

I know a touch about the Dominator and what makes it work and how most screw them up. I know enough about blown nitro cars to be dangerous and I find the more I learn about these things the less I actually know - makes me crazy. :huh:
Aaaaa, if you can navigate the internet, you can tune PCM's. Since you have a much more than basic knowledge of Air/Fuel ratios, timing advancement, load, etc, all you need to do is be shown what the tables in the software do and you're on your way. Believe me, I have customers who are VERY non-hands on that can manipulate the software pretty well. I haven't blown up anybody's engine due to my tuning and I make some cars go pretty fast. It's pretty hard to screw the tuning up to that level. Some tuners treat all applications the same and that's when you find out their not!:toilet You just need to be patient and creep up on timing, straighten the AFR's and make minor adjustments along the way.:cool:

Me? I don't wrench. The computer interface is all I'm comfortable with.

Good stuff!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,

As you said they are not all the same and some seemingly simple mods make a world of difference when it comes to tuning. Just a simple porting on my car made it drop in power until we leaned it and used less timing?? Go figure?
Now you have to know what you are doing to go in the opposite direction of what you think would make sense. I don't know what I am doing.

I was once told to not mess with something you are not comfortabe with; let the pros handle it. It was good advice

Guy here in town has a C5 and believe it or not took out his auto trannie by changing something with a hand held unit, no idea what kind, and he had boo coo detonation to boot.

I am much more comfortable with big superchargers and their three fuel delivery points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
olddog said:
Brian,

As you said they are not all the same and some seemingly simple mods make a world of difference when it comes to tuning. Just a simple porting on my car made it drop in power until we leaned it and used less timing?? Go figure?
Now you have to know what you are doing to go in the opposite direction of what you think would make sense. I don't know what I am doing.

I was once told to not mess with something you are not comfortabe with; let the pros handle it. It was good advice

Guy here in town has a C5 and believe it or not took out his auto trannie by changing something with a hand held unit, no idea what kind, and he had boo coo detonation to boot.

I am much more comfortable with big superchargers and their three fuel delivery points.

Nobody ever said you had to master tuning in a day. Heck, I'll bet you've been learning carb tuning over the course of decades, right? Tunes I wrote 5 years ago, I'm sure, could be improved on by me or many people today. There's so much more EFI tuning information in the net now, including complete starter tunes for any combination! Not to mention the new versions of the software available covers a lot that I didn't have access to years ago -- ie COT (CAT overtemp). Boy that would have been nice on a few applications.......:drink:

Don't sell yourself short. If you have the will to learn, that's really all you need. But, if you feel more comfortable doing the carbs, only, that's cool too!:partyon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Question, how much does the cleanliness of your air filter effect your tuning/dyno runs. I was going to get my tune because I was in Tampa recently but I decided not too because I knew my air filter was dirty as hell because i'm irresponsible :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tav,

You should have gotten it tuned - - the car is a dog as stands. Clean the damn filter with every oil change . . Nopw get that thing tuned.

olddog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,300 Posts
olddog said:
Tav,

You should have gotten it tuned - - the car is a dog as stands. Clean the damn filter with every oil change . . Nopw get that thing tuned.

olddog
I agree. I bought a spare LPE CAI to do some customizing on the tunnel and so I could have a spare clean filter waiting. The LPE makes great power but is a PIA to clean.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Tavarez said:
Question, how much does the cleanliness of your air filter effect your tuning/dyno runs. I was going to get my tune because I was in Tampa recently but I decided not too because I knew my air filter was dirty as hell because i'm irresponsible :p
At idle and part throttle it probably doesn't matter how dirty it is....unless it's SO dirty no air will flow thorught the filter. In that case you would have been VERY irresponsible.

However, at WOT on the dyno you might have ran rich, due to the restriction and the tuner could have leaned it out to correct the AFR. Once you cleaned your filter you could have ran really lean as a result and that's bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
I swear that LPE filter was the biggest PITA ever to clean though lol. I'd rather have some clips for the shroud that are easier to remove, I may try for the PA tuning session though :) Oldy you should hear my car with LG longtubes and B&B Bullets, it's so badass I can't stop smiling while I drive it bahhaha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tav,

You wanna' run a grandfather for a few bucks?? If you come to PA that is . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Tavarez said:
I swear that LPE filter was the biggest PITA ever to clean though lol. I'd rather have some clips for the shroud that are easier to remove, I may try for the PA tuning session though :) Oldy you should hear my car with LG longtubes and B&B Bullets, it's so badass I can't stop smiling while I drive it bahhaha.

Okay this one's hi-jacked so I'll see you guys later.:toilet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bri,

Sorry, the devil made me do it . . won't do it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
olddog said:
Tav,

You wanna' run a grandfather for a few bucks?? If you come to PA that is . .
:devil: Sure i'm up for winning a few bucks :devil: :devil:

Anyway i've heard that our engines seem to wake up at later mileage, restricted by computer possibly? Could this be one of the reason why the results differ. Despite different dyno conditions etc :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top