Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that a turned flywheel will groove the clutch disk and lead to chatter and premature clutch failure. Conversely a milled face leaves multidirectional grooves which wear more evenly.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have read that a turned flywheel will groove the clutch disk and lead to chatter and premature clutch failure. Conversely a milled face leaves multidirectional grooves which wear more evenly.

Any truth to this?
Shouldn't be any different than a break rotor. The multidirectional pattern is what you want. Having all the groves going in the same direction will make it not grab as well.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be any different than a break rotor. The multidirectional pattern is what you want. Having all the groves going in the same direction will make it not grab as well.
Thats what I thought, thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The correct machine for machining flywheel is neither a mill nor a brake lathe type.
Here is a video of an actual flywheel grinder being used.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Google for "Blanchard Grinding"
Typically all flat surfaces such as heads, rotors, decks, intake and exhaust flanges, flywheels are done this way. You can tell by the cross hatch pattern. On heads for example, you will only see large swirls due to the size of the larger grinding wheel.
Fast and inexpensive.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,777 Posts
That is correct, grind the flywheel. It's a wet grind as well. Cost should be about $35 Check the ring gear too.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,777 Posts
Should be ground ever clutch change. I would check yours since it's out I would do it. They don't take off much.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Put a straight edge on it to check for dish. Have seen a LS1 here that had nearly 2mm dish in it and hot spots. I tried to skim it in a brake lathe as a experiment and could not due to hard spots(scraped) So that is why clutch kits here are pricey as they come with new flywheel (au$1,400):thud:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great vid Driveshaft.

I guess thats what I meant. I took it to my local Lee Auto Parts (a supplier to most of the independant shops in Chicago, but have a machine shop and sell directly to the public for cheap). 5 hours and $35 later it was perfect. I got the entire clutch and bellhousing installed last night. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts