Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need to turn off my TPMS since I don't have or plan on getting the sensors. I have read this can be done with a Tech 2 programmer. Will any other stand along programmers work? Tech 2's aren't cheap. (If there's anyone in the Atlanta Metro area that has one to use, i'll be right over!)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,038 Posts
Any GM dealer will have one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to be hitting that Corvette event at Day's Chevrolet this Saturday. Maybe someone there can do it without charging me too much. Ok.. without charging me anything.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,038 Posts
With a Tech II, you can disable/enable the TPMS system, but for it to work you need to have the wheel sensors. If it is being disabled, you can leave the sensors on the wheel with no problems. You can also disable/enable the night time headlight system. The Z06 has everything in place for both of these systems except the sensors.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
With a Tech II, you can disable/enable the TPMS system, but for it to work you need to have the wheel sensors. If it is being disabled, you can leave the sensors on the wheel with no problems. You can also disable/enable the night time headlight system. The Z06 has everything in place for both of these systems except the sensors.
100% correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TPMS Tech 2 help

Guys, I am in the process of trying to turn off my TPMS system, car is a 2001 convertible. I had a GM dealer do it last week with a Tech 2, but after 3 days it turned itself back on. The Technician did say he has never done it before, therefor may not have done it right.
Can someone help with instructions on HOW this is done, he is going to try it again.
Car is Supercharged with CCW wheels and drag radials, sensors would not fit back in the wheels.
Thanks for any help.
mark

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
This is why I don't go to to a Chevy realer to have any work done. Using a Tech II, there's only one way to disable the TPMS. You CAN'T mess it up because it is menu driven. All you do is simply follow the prompts. How someone can screw that up is beyond me.

 1. Install the scan tool.
 2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
 3. With the scan tool select Chassis.
 4. Select Tire Pressure Monitor.
 5. Select Special Functions.
 6. Select TPM Option Disable.
 7. Press the exit key to escape.

You're done. How can he screw that up? :huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Junkman,
I was also told by someone else that there was 2 options that would disable the system, but only 1 correct way. I will say that even when the guy turned it off, I would still see the (tires XXX) message when I scrolled manually thru the DIC, but got no messages when I started the car. But 3 days later on startup, it was if it had never been turned off. I was told that if it had been turned off like the Z06 was, that it could not show up on a manual scroll.
Going to take the new input with me Friday morning when I go back for a 2nd shot.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
... Going to take the new input with me Friday morning when I go back for a 2nd shot.
Take it to a dealership where they have a GM World Class Technician. Some of those regular ASE certified guys are complete rocks. I've attached the most recent list of WCT's. If they ain't on this list then they ain't a WCT as of May 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealerships

I had to go to 3 Dealerships before finding one that would provide that service, the first 2 refused. Therefore I am hoping with the insight you have provided, I can get the right info to the only dealership that was willing to help.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,038 Posts
Take it to a dealership where they have a GM World Class Technician. Some of those regular ASE certified guys are complete rocks. I've attached the most recent list of WCT's. If they ain't on this list then they ain't a WCT as of May 2015.
It would be mice if the list had the location of these guys. Maybe at least a city

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
What I have done is called a dealership and asked them if they have any WCT's. If they say yes, I ask them his name and then verify it using the list. I've also been at a dealership and asked to speak to a WCT. When the guy comes out, I ask him his name. Either way works.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am on another Forum with a guy having the same issue that his sensors were deleted then came back on days later. I have never had that happen with any deletions I have done. One guy chimed in and talked about two Tech 2 paths. I provided him my path and I am waiting on the other one from him. I will let you know if he responds.

PS: Another guy talked about needing to disconnect the battery for several hours after changed the RPO setting. That sounded more like BS to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fix

Thanks guys for the help, I printed off the instructions given here and went back to the Dealership Friday morning. I showed the instructions to the tech, and his comment was that he felt he had done it that way. Regardless, he did it again per the instructions down to a tee as I watched him, and now the system seems to be off.
And I know this is rare, but I will say that I was not charged for the first service, nor the follow up fix......... $0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am Catalin from [link on PM]. I deal with the pesky TPMS problem for multiple vehicle brands and models and i do so by means of a circuit-in-a-box mimicking TPMS sensor's radio signals.

Next on the list is the 2005 - 2009 Corvette. Got one and annoyed by TPMS enough ? Drop me a message, let's cooperate to prooftest my simulator device for this model. Of course, you will be getting it for free.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts