Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever they have been doing, isn't working. So... out with the old...

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest

(CNSNews.com) - Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest.

In the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests administered by the U.S. Department of Education in 2009—the latest year available—only 32 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned a “proficient” rating while another 2 percent earned an “advanced” rating. The other 66 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned ratings below “proficient,” including 44 percent who earned a rating of “basic” and 22 percent who earned a rating of “below basic.”

The test also showed that the reading abilities of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders had not improved at all between 1998 and 2009 despite a significant inflation-adjusted increase in the amount of money Wisconsin public schools spent per pupil each year.

In 1998, according to the U.S. Department of Education, Wisconsin public school eighth graders scored an average of 266 out of 500 on the NAEP reading test. In 2009, Wisconsin public school eighth graders once again scored an average of 266 out of 500 on the NAEP reading test. Meanwhile, Wisconsin public schools increased their per pupil expenditures from $4,956 per pupil in 1998 to 10,791 per pupil in 2008. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator the $4,956 Wisconsin spent per pupil in 1998 dollars equaled $6,546 in 2008 dollars. That means that from 1998 to 2008, Wisconsin public schools increased their per pupil spending by $4,245 in real terms yet did not add a single point to the reading scores of their eighth graders and still could lift only one-third of their eighth graders to at least a “proficient” level in reading.

The $10,791 that Wisconsin spent per pupil in its public elementary and secondary schools in fiscal year 2008 was more than any other state in the Midwest.

Neighboring Illinois spent $10,353 per student in 2008, Minnesota spent $10,048 per student; Iowa spent $9,520 per student. Among Midwest states, Nebraska was second to Wisconsin in per pupil spending in its public schools, spending $10,565 per student.

Of these nearby states, only Minnesota did slightly better teaching reading to its public school students. In 2009, 39 percent of eighth graders in Minnesota public schools earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average eighth grade reading score in the state was 270 out of 500.

In Illinois, only 32 percent of eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average eighth grade reading score was 265 out of 500. In Iowa, only 32 percent of eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average reading score was 265 out of 500. In Nebraska, only 35 percent of eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in their public schools, and the average reading score was 267 out of 500.

Nationwide, only 30 percent of public school eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average reading score on the NAEP test was 262 out of 500.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress explains its student rating system as follows: “Basic denotes partial mastery of prerequisite knowledge and skills that are fundamental for proficient work at each grade. Proficient represents solid academic performance. Students reaching this level have demonstrated competency over challenging subject matter. Advanced represents superior performance.”

In other words, despite the $10,791 that taxpayers were paying to educate students in Wisconsin public schools, two-thirds of eighth graders in those schools showed at best only a “partial mastery of prerequisite knowledge and skills that are fundamental for proficient work” at that grade level.

In fiscal 2008, the federal government provided $669.6 million in subsidies to the public schools in Wisconsin.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-thirds-wisconsin-public-school-8th-g

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
So, WI is in second place amongst the upper midwest states in scores and only a fraction of a percent higher in spending per pupil. Not exactly damning of WI, but it shows how our education system pretty much sucks. And I blame uninvolved parents, primarily. Kids of involved parents kick ass in scores.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
un involved parents is only part of the problem. school districts that constantly lower the standard so nobody is offended by someone being smarter, many places have done away with advanced programs for the smart students, doing away with graduation honors- so not to offend anyone, "effort" rolls, lack of quality/skilled/caring teachers, and the attitude that it is bad to excell are all contributing factors to it

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, WI is in second place amongst the upper midwest states in scores and only a fraction of a percent higher in spending per pupil. Not exactly damning of WI, but it shows how our education system pretty much sucks. And I blame uninvolved parents, primarily. Kids of involved parents kick ass in scores.
:laughing: Someday it will hit you like a ton of bricks, that the goal is "equality" and no amount of money will equalize people. You can't drag people up, only down...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Not exactly damning of WI, but it shows how our education system pretty much sucks. And I blame uninvolved parents, primarily. Kids of involved parents kick ass in scores.
...school districts that constantly lower the standard so nobody is offended by someone being smarter, many places have done away with advanced programs for the smart students, doing away with graduation honors- so not to offend anyone, "effort" rolls, lack of quality/skilled/caring teachers, and the attitude that it is bad to excell are all contributing factors to it
Someday it will hit you like a ton of bricks, that the goal is "equality" and no amount of money will equalize people. You can't drag people up, only down...
:agree: All, in my own opinion, absolutely correct. My oldest son and his wife have both been teachers for years in the suburban Washington D.C. area, and the horror stories they can tell about lowered expectations, parental disinterest, and a general lack of concern about the mush-minded "graduates" we continue to inflict on our own country are sobering. A concerned and dedicated teacher (which they both are) can make a difference, but it's a drop in the ocean.

Failure begets failure, and when the bill comes due, who will pay it? Wake up, America - we are being buried under a blizzard of ignorance and complacency.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My father has watched the decline in school systems for 35 years. He has been a teacher since he finished college. One of the issues he has been facing for the last 8 or so years is the whole "equal" attitude. Its killing the students that are there to actually learn.

When I was in middle school, 15 years ago, if there was a mentally challenged kid in school, they were put with other students that had problems and were given a slower and more thorough classroom to learn in. Now, they are mixed in with the general students as to not feel left out. I can't see how this is good for anyone inside that classroom. They are constantly yelling out or distracting other students from the class. Now my father has to teach at such a slow speed, everyone basically loses interest. I don't understand it.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
agree and disagree.

Yes, involved parents make a big difference, but teachers are paid to teach.
It's their job.
The burden is on them.

It dont matter if the parents are mute, deaf and retarded.
They have a job requirment to fullfill.

Most of the public school systems from top to bottom are filled with lazy educators that complain that they need help, are overworked, and are constantly micromanaging and over spending on goods, materials, creature comforts that make them more comfortable at work but have no relevance on the outcome of their productivity or better schooling for the students. And managment is in a continous race to say they offer the better, newer, school with newer books, buildings, equipment, soccer fields, tracks, pools, computer networks, and computers, wifi... ect than the school system next door.

It's a big fookin mess of liberal educators with pet projects, TA's, micromanaged learning classes, and blank checks from the state and fed govt.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
And I blame uninvolved parents, primarily. Kids of involved parents kick ass in scores.
:agree:Teachers and schools can only do so much, no matter how much money is spent. Our kids have no vision of the future, and therefore have no interest in preparing for it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
8th graders?
HS grads seldom have a vision of the future they expect to live in.
That's largely true, although not entirely - some 7th and 8th graders (and up) do, in fact, have a pretty clear notion of who they are and where they want to go. The number is statistically small, yes, but it's there, and we should thank God for it because our hopes are pinned on their generation whether we like it or not. Many of us question where that "vision of the future" originates in our school-age children - or at least where it used to. And many of us, including a large number of educators, feel that that vision begins at home with those involved parents that are in such short supply. There are a lot of factors involved in producing competent high school graduates, and involved parenting is one of them.

Most of the public school systems from top to bottom are filled with lazy educators that complain that they need help, are overworked, and are constantly micromanaging and over spending on goods, materials, creature comforts that make them more comfortable at work but have no relevance on the outcome of their productivity or better schooling for the students. And managment is in a continous race to say they offer the better, newer, school with newer books, buildings, equipment, soccer fields, tracks, pools, computer networks, and computers, wifi... ect than the school system next door.
Again, there's a lot of truth in this as well . . . but be careful of painting with too broad a brush. I do recognize that you at least used the word "most", not "all". I think most citizens - especially those in education that are concerned and want to do a better job - agree that the current public school system in the United States is badly broken. We've pretty much established that. What's needed is a common-sense solution.

That's going to be consideably more difficult.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a good friend back in 1985 tell me, exactly what was being done in education, how it was being done and what the end result would be. We talked about it several times (he was a pretty sharp old coot) and I laughed him off as over the hill and a conspiracy theorist, not with the times.. now everything he said is happening, almost exactly like he said it would.. weird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Revolutions are everywhere–in the Middle East, in the middle west. But there is a difference: in the Middle East, the protesters are marching for democracy; in the Midwest, they’re protesting against it. I mean, isn’t it, well, a bit ironic that the protesters in Madison, blocking the state senate chamber, are chanting “Freedom, Democracy, Union” while trying to prevent a vote? Isn’t it ironic that the Democratic Senators have fled the democratic process? Isn’t it interesting that some of those who–rightly–protest the assorted Republican efforts to stymie majority rule in the U.S. Senate are celebrating the Democratic efforts to stymie the same in the Wisconsin Senate?

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Just as an aside...how does Texas do on those same tests.

Tied for last for the country. If you go to the web sight for these tests you get the picture. The math side of it is even worse for the southern states and California. But spending is a local choice and not the problem with public employee unions. We shouldn't confuse spending in schools with the public employee union issue. Remember, the most expensive employees at our schools are not in the union.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Revolutions are everywhere–in the Middle East, in the middle west. But there is a difference: in the Middle East, the protesters are marching for democracy; in the Midwest, they’re protesting against it. I mean, isn’t it, well, a bit ironic that the protesters in Madison, blocking the state senate chamber, are chanting “Freedom, Democracy, Union” while trying to prevent a vote? Isn’t it ironic that the Democratic Senators have fled the democratic process? Isn’t it interesting that some of those who–rightly–protest the assorted Republican efforts to stymie majority rule in the U.S. Senate are celebrating the Democratic efforts to stymie the same in the Wisconsin Senate?
Well stated! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as an aside...how does Texas do on those same tests.
Texas is like most places, you take out the cities and the numbers aren't bad. Funny thing though, Texas is weathering the economy pretty good with all these dummies.. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
agree and disagree.

Yes, involved parents make a big difference, but teachers are paid to teach.
It's their job.
The burden is on them.
Please don't tell me you're a parent! If you are a parent then it IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to rear, train and educate your child. Even if you delegate your responsibility to someone else, the buck still falls on the parents at all times. If you are not ready to be a parent 24/7/365, then don't share your genes. It is individuals that feel that they can abdicate their roles as parents to paid professionals like daycare provides, teachers and they like that are pulling our society down. If we all took active roles in all aspects of parenting like we were designed to do, then it would be much better. Now I know why you are called the village idiot! :spanked:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Texas is like most places, you take out the cities and the numbers aren't bad. Funny thing though, Texas is weathering the economy pretty good with all these dummies.. :laughing:
You are now but what happens when the oil runs out??? By the way we all have cities. And they all lower the average, but your average is still way lower. What that does is set up a double cost for your citizens. One school tax for the public schools the losers go to and then the added cost to send your kid to a private school if you give a **** about his education. Vouchers will just cause your state to fill up with drop outs that will kill you in your sleep. :laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are now but what happens when the oil runs out??? By the way we all have cities. And they all lower the average, but your average is still way lower. What that does is set up a double cost for your citizens. One school tax for the public schools the losers go to and then the added cost to send your kid to a private school if you give a **** about his education. Vouchers will just cause your state to fill up with drop outs that will kill you in your sleep. :laughing:
Machine, your great great great grand kids will die of old age before oil runs out.

We are like 44th in educational spending, which by the way is 53% of our total state budget..

But, where do we rank on taxation, cost of living, etc. We don't borrow tons of money to throw at a failing school system. We don't borrow money for green unicorns, we don't borrow money for anything. Trust me, I go through this with Texas leftwingnuts as well..

Funny thing, before all this educational spending, all those uneducated dumbasses built a great country. They manufactured things, there was a thing known as American ingenuity, great inventions, etc. Then someone got the stupid ass idea that everyone should start spending 16 years in indoctrination centers that serve to do nothing, but enlarge and empower government.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Please don't tell me you're a parent! If you are a parent then it IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to rear, train and educate your child. Even if you delegate your responsibility to someone else, the buck still falls on the parents at all times. If you are not ready to be a parent 24/7/365, then don't share your genes. It is individuals that feel that they can abdicate their roles as parents to paid professionals like daycare provides, teachers and they like that are pulling our society down. If we all took active roles in all aspects of parenting like we were designed to do, then it would be much better. Now I know why you are called the village idiot! :spanked:
My 13 yo is an Honor Roll student.
I help him with his homework, participate in school activities, booters/fund raisers, and PTA events.

Either way, I pay for a product called an education, and the school system is my employees.
They work for me and are paid by me.
They have a job and a contractual obligation, along with a social obligation.
It's their job.

Your POV is why the education system is soo screwed up.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Try to be thankfull I dont want your union abolished, and you jobless,..... like everybody else in this newsroom does.

Your welcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts