Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TX Republicans have been trying to pass this for years. I can't believe those bastards actually want someone to prove they are eligible to vote before allowing them to vote. :thud:

AUSTIN -- After more than 11 hours of debate, the Texas House voted 101-48 late Wednesday for a bill requiring voters to show photo ID at the polls, increasing the likelihood that the measure will take effect in time for the 2012 elections.
House Republicans achieved a long-sought political goal by passing the bill. Now they will have to iron out differences with the version the Senate passed in January. Gov. Rick Perry had declared that the bill was one of a handful of emergency items. Republicans say their constituents demand the change to ensure election integrity.
"I have Democrats, Republicans and independents in my district who think people ought to show ID before being allowed to vote," said Rep. Dennis Bonnen, R-Angleton.
All votes against the bill were by Democrats. They said the measure would disenfranchise poor and minority voters and is targeting a problem -- in-person voter fraud -- that doesn't exist. Rep. Marc Veasey, D-Fort Worth, said the bill would effectively return Texas to the days of Jim Crow.
"I think it's horrible," Veasey said. "I think it discriminates against people. I think we'll look back in shame." Several kinds of government-issued photo identification would be accepted, including a driver's license, a U.S. military ID card and a U.S. passport.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/23/2945555/texas-house-passes-voter-id-bill.html#my-headlines-default#ixzz1HXQgQHaI

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Outstanding :thumbsup: One down Fifty to go :cheers:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I see no problem with it

I mean if your a legit tax paying citizen

You should have a drivers license or state ID on you

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The whole thing actually kind of stumps me. I've voted in TX all my life, and when I go to the polls, they have a computer printout of all registered voters in the precinct in alphabetical order. They send every registered voter a voter registration card that can be used as proof of ID to allow you to vote. However, it doesn't have a picture. If you don't have that card (and I never can find mine) you can use a photo ID like drivers license. That's what I always use. I guess this bill is going to force those with voter registration cards to also use a photo ID to prove it is their card. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I guess the reason the Dems are against it is that anyone who has a reason not to go and get an ID card would probably be a Democratic voter. :huh:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Why this is not the law in every state... is beyond my.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
This certainly could be a law everywhere if there was a national ID, but no one wants that. It would eliminate the excuse that I didn't know he was an illegal alien. It would allow voter ID laws without allowing for the excuse that many poor do not have drivers licenses or passports or military IDs. Which does carry some weight especialy in the supreme courts. The biggest hurdle to these laws are the possible exclusion of voters due to the lack of picture IDs. You have to solve that problem to make that argument mute.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This certainly could be a law everywhere if there was a national ID, but no one wants that. It would eliminate the excuse that I didn't know he was an illegal alien. It would allow voter ID laws without allowing for the excuse that many poor do not have drivers licenses or passports or military IDs. Which does carry some weight especialy in the supreme courts. The biggest hurdle to these laws are the possible exclusion of voters due to the lack of picture IDs. You have to solve that problem to make that argument mute.
For non-drivers in TX there is a state issued photo ID that looks very much like a driver's license. My 50 year old brother has Down Syndrome and has had one since he was a teen. It's just a fact of life that you occasionally need to prove who you are. I see no excuse in this day and age for not being able to prove that you are who you say you are. Outside of politics, if you lose your credit card, wouldn't you like anyone who might find it to have to prove who they are to use your card? I understand the rationale for being wary of national ID. But the reality is that we all give away our identity many times every day. We can't function without it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
It's just a fact of life that you occasionally need to prove who you are. I see no excuse in this day and age for not being able to prove that you are who you say you are.
Except if you're POTUS of course. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Don't most states require you to posess a valid ID anyhow? Why should it be so difficult to bring it to the polling station? Well, unless you are breaking the law by not having one all the while complaining it is too expensive while puffing on your cigarette and drinking a Starbucks or a beer.

:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts