Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard or how costly to replace the half shaft u-joints (drivers side needs to be replaced) ????

I need to get this done ASAP! If it's really time consuming, I would need to take it in since this is currently my daily driver.

If I do it, it will be in a garage on jack stands.

Comments please.
 

·
El Teafive
Joined
·
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:
How hard or how costly to replace the half shaft u-joints (drivers side needs to be replaced) ????

I need to get this done ASAP! If it's really time consuming, I would need to take it in since this is currently my daily driver.

If I do it, it will be in a garage on jack stands.

Comments please.
Stop By Pete's on Friday, we will be doing them on my car, along with wheel bearings..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly don't think I can wait until Friday, the drivers side sounds horrible.

If I go from park to drive, it sounds like it's going to snap! I'm a bit worried about driving anywhere.

I'm also trying to determine if it would be easier to wire in my dash (on the Jeep) tonight or fix the u-joints. If I can do the Jeep tonight (big job), then I can hold off until Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
If you need help doing them, I'll help you out tonight, bring the jack stands and a 12 pack and we'll get them done...

Spray those bolts down quickly...
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,209 Posts
ChiMan said:
If you need help doing them, I'll help you out tonight, bring the jack stands and a 12 pack and we'll get them done...

Spray those bolts down quickly...
That's what I love about Corvette folks.... always willing to lend a hand! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChiMan said:
If you need help doing them, I'll help you out tonight, bring the jack stands and a 12 pack and we'll get them done...

Spray those bolts down quickly...
I appreciate the offer!!! :thumbsup: But, I'm really worried about driving that far right now. They drivers side sounds REALLY bad. I think I'm going to shoot for Friday and hook up with Jeff. Des Plaines is a lot closer to me.

Now, as long as security doesn't look inside my Jeep when I go through the gate tomorrow morning, I should be fine. I have no dash or gauges at all (the dash is sitting next to my couch)! I just went out and grounded everything I need so that my CJ-7 runs. :laughing:

Tomorrow should be an interesting drive. I better go fill the tank tonight, I think I had a little under half but, with no fuel gauge, I'm not sure and don't want to risk it.
 

·
El Teafive
Joined
·
10,489 Posts
BubbleHead said:
I appreciate the offer!!! :thumbsup: But, I'm really worried about driving that far right now. They drivers side sounds REALLY bad. I think I'm going to shoot for Friday and hook up with Jeff. Des Plaines is a lot closer to me.

Now, as long as security doesn't look inside my Jeep when I go through the gate tomorrow morning, I should be fine. I have no dash or gauges at all (the dash is sitting next to my couch)! I just went out and grounded everything I need so that my CJ-7 runs. :laughing:

Tomorrow should be an interesting drive. I better go fill the tank tonight, I think I had a little under half but, with no fuel gauge, I'm not sure and don't want to risk it.
Better contact Pete to be sure we will have time though.. I am getting there at 1pm to do my U-joints and wheel bearings..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting ready to drop him an e-mail. I still need to pick up the trans cover from him. Worst comes to worst, I'll do it here Thursday night or early Friday morning. I've been looking at my FSM and it may not be a bad job after all.

I may practice on the front driveshaft from my Jeep. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff,

Do you have any tips for replacing the half-shaft u-joints???

I'm going to try it after work today. I have tomorrow off and planned on spending the day with my lil bro and I don't want to change plans. After this week, he's being sent to Germany for 3 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Jeff,

Do you have any tips for replacing the half-shaft u-joints???

I'm going to try it after work today. I have tomorrow off and planned on spending the day with my lil bro and I don't want to change plans. After this week, he's being sent to Germany for 3 months.
If you want to take away the responsibility of damageing the half shaft and also incase you don't have access to a vise and or a press.. just take the shaft off and bring it to a shop they won;t charge or should charge much to install the u-joints on the half shaft.. plus if they srew up that nice expensive piece of aliuminum it's there baby not saying you will have trouble doing it.. just a comment and probably an obvious one at that.... Anyhow have fun and I hope everything goes well with the job..

BTW is your bro in the military too? my sister is over in germany flying the blackhawk..
-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Tim,
its a pretty easy job, droppin the lower bolt off the shocks will give you the travel you need to remove the half shaft once you losen the straps for the u-joints. lower the control arms down with a jack once the car is on stands and you loosen the shocks. I use a socket to pound the joints out of the half shafts, it took me about 2.5 hours to replace my broken axle, bearing assembly and do the u-joints (I didnt do the driveshaft U-joints just the rear end). Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW is your bro in the military too? my sister is over in germany flying the blackhawk..
-Rick [/B]
Yup, I brother is in the USAF, works in the intel world and briefs pilots on threats they can expect to encounter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MVR 155 said:
Tim,
its a pretty easy job, droppin the lower bolt off the shocks will give you the travel you need to remove the half shaft once you losen the straps for the u-joints. lower the control arms down with a jack once the car is on stands and you loosen the shocks. I use a socket to pound the joints out of the half shafts, it took me about 2.5 hours to replace my broken axle, bearing assembly and do the u-joints (I didnt do the driveshaft U-joints just the rear end). Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I feel a lot better about doing this myself. And thanks for the tip about the lower mounting point of the shock. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Anytime Tim, like I said above....Good Luck and hope it goes smooth for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank everyone for their tips and help. The job went pretty smooth and it took me about 3.5 hours. I took my time and made sure everything went together right.

When the drivers side half shaft finally came out, the u-joint that attaches to the wheel/hub was the bad one. I pulled on of the caps off and found the problem...

The needle bearings had been grounded to dust. Only one of the needle bearings was mostly intact.
:surprised

Thanks again guys!!!:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top