Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread on here not to long ago about u-joints, and i believe everybody was pretty much agreed that Spicer w/o grease zerk was the way to go and :agree: . I saw some u-joints by Precision and thay looked very nice and strong and on one of the cups there was a small grease zerk that you had to use a needle adapter to put grease in it. has anybbody else seen these? and do you think it would be a weak link with its location in the cup?

Just curious.
Gary what do you think, you have a lot of knowledge in this area. and BTW i followed you stickys to the tee and your pm's that you sent me thanks for your time.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The solid Spicers are the best. PM Gary for the correct part#s.:thumbsup:
:laughing: did you not read my post all the way through? i did that several weeks ago and followed his advice and sticky to the "T" and used spicers.
was just curious if anybody else has seen these and if that grease fitting would be a weak link there. :laughing: :laughing:
you crack me up Jeff.

hows pherd doing.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set of Brute Force ungreasables in mine at the moment....
...redvetracr
Hi Howard, do you think a small fitting in the center of one cap would cause a weak spot? a small enough fitting that you have to use a needle adapter to grease it.

like TT said "just thinking"

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
:laughing: did you not read my post all the way through? i did that several weeks ago and followed his advice and sticky to the "T" and used spicers.
was just curious if anybody else has seen these and if that grease fitting would be a weak link there. :laughing: :laughing:
you crack me up Jeff.

hows pherd doing.
"I must have mis-read it."

"They are probably bad, but you could use them, and they probably should be changed. "

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: (Inside joke)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi Howard, do you think a small fitting in the center of one cap would cause a weak spot? a small enough fitting that you have to use a needle adapter to grease it.

Kevin
I am not Howard, but I would think a small hole in the cap center would not "violate the integrety of the joint.":smokin:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not Howard, but I would think a small hole in the cap center would not "violate the integrety of the joint.":smokin:
:thud: Oh brother i know you are not Howard. you are doing alot of misreading tonight Jeff. But i was leaving that post for redvetrcr you know Howard.:laughing: :laughing:

you must have a bad case of dbdb's :rolling: :rolling: (inside loke again)

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good i hate being violated :smack :smack

·
Registered
959 Posts

Kevin
sure it would weaken it some, just how much I don`t know but I doubt you would break one...doing hole shots?? smoky burnouts?? running slicks?? or leaving them in and un-greased for the next million miles?? I would use them on a driver, I had greasables on my driveshaft for years.....of course my car in the last 10 years probably only has a grand total of 3500-4000 miles on it.
...redvetracr

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we need to find someone to install one on their u-joints and then give'em he!! and see what happens, someone with alot of ponies under the hood. :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I have not used them. I have used some with zerks in the past and the one that cracked in 1/2 only had 18k miles on it and never shifted above 3500 RPM or any burnouts beyond 4-5'.
I installed Spicer solids on my son's 75. He burned the rear tire bald in 8k miles. 200' burnouts, 6k shifting, general abuse. He cracked the posi in 1/2 but the joints are still going strong.
I did have one email yesterday about a problem install with Spicers and how tight they were. They were replaced with a different brand to resolve the problem. The spicers do fit tight and if the flange is slightly bent they will not work. I had problems with some of the plastic rings with them but I understand that was a vendor problem that should be corrected by now.
I'll still use them until I see there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gary. i was only curious if the grease fitting in the center of the cap would be better than in the cross part of the joint,not trying to pitch another brand of u-joints.
And thanks again for your help with the install of my joints,followed your instructions and all went well, installed spicer u-joints the part #'s that you told me to use.:thumbsup: they were a little hard to get in,but they were also a pain to get out, which is not surprising since they have been in their for 29 years :laughing: the ones i took out were spicers still had some grease in them and looked good still.
Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not to hijack the thread but were do you buy the spicer u joints ?
You can either contact gtr1999 (gary). or go to a fleet truck parts & repair shop,guess most big trucks use spicer,and they can order them for you.

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts