Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a bare 77 coupe shell sitting on my dolly - cleaning, and any restoration that's required of the underside and engine compartment is at about 95%. As I review builds and forum posts I've seen everything from "leave it bare" to "truck bed products". My build uses the 77 frame but almost everything else is new tech (LS3 w/ 4L70E, Ride-Tech coil-over suspension, Wilwood brakes) so don't care about how a 77 underbody is "supposed" to look. Eventual paint color will be a dark red / maroon so I do know that I won't want to leave it "bare" which is a light grayish color. On the inside I'm thinking Lizardskin but I always reserve the right to change my mind.

Appreciate your input

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,910 Posts
I'd get a good enamel (not base/top coat) and put a gloss hardener in it and cover the frame. All the other pieces I'd paint black with the same type enamel and leave anything that is pre-painted such as shock, steering, etc alone. That's probably the old street rodder in me coming out:cool:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Rustolium

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Hey 77Blue, glad to see you are still active! Everyone has an opinion on this so I'll throw one out there too! I chose Southern Polyurethanes Inc (SPI) epoxy primer. It is a two part product and is available in red oxide, white, light grey and black. They are all low sheen products. I chose the black because it goes with just about any color and it provides a nice contrast for all the hardware. Plus, I had my frame and suspension components powder coated with low sheen black. It is easy to spray and unlike other primers it can be exposed to sunlight and weather conditions indefinitely without degrading. In my experience it's the next best thing to powder coat and it's tough as a $2 steak. I'll attach a couple of pics. Keep us posted on what you choose, and stay in touch!

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Automotive exterior

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Audio equipment Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
One of the things that I did not like about my Vette was the unbearable heat in the passenger compartment. I chose to use Lizzardskin inside and out, although I haven't finished the build I still feel like it's the best choice. It was easy to apply but leaves a ruff surface so if your looking for smooth this won't be for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts