Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on pulling out my rear control arms to replace the front bushings and I'm wondering how I should prep them before putting 'em back on the car. Is there a protective sealant of some sort that I can just paint on? Is powder coating the best way to go? If so, where do I take the parts to have that done? What cost am I lookin' at?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
rjent said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Just paint it with a good enamel and reassemble!:thumbsup:
I agree. If you can get them sandblasted first it really helps. Just coat them with a few coats of temclad or any good paint. While powder coating is better it is costly.
Be sure to stake the front bushing well and without a special tool it is not easy. The tapered bolt that comes with alot of the poly kits is no good.
Removing the old through bolt is the hard part. Most need cutting out.
Replace the shims with stainless ones.
Removing the old arms is one of the toughest jobs to do. Maybe you will be lucky and everything hasn't welded/rusted itself together.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Forgot Por 15 is one of the toughest finishes you can get for undercarraiges but again it is expensive

·
Registered
210 Posts
Be sure to stake the front bushing well and without a special tool it is not easy. The tapered bolt that comes with alot of the poly kits is no good.
does vbandp sell the tapered bolt? i was looking into their poly kit. do the poly kits require stake?
thanks, S

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strider said:
I agree. If you can get them sandblasted first it really helps. Just coat them with a few coats of temclad or any good paint. While powder coating is better it is costly.
Removing the old through bolt is the hard part. Most need cutting out.
Replace the shims with stainless ones.
Removing the old arms is one of the toughest jobs to do. Maybe you will be lucky and everything hasn't welded/rusted itself together.:thumbsup:
It's originally an Arizona car and there isn't much for rust anywhere else, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it out without cutting. I'm not sure exactly how far I'm going to go with this project or at what point I'll just ship it off to a professional with all the right tools. At this point I'm waiting to see what the service and overhaul manuals say about the job.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
TXwayno said:
Strider,
if the tapered bolt is no good, what do you suggest?
The tapered bolt is nothing more then a 3/8th bolt with the nut having a tapered edge that is suppost to flare the sleeve while tightening down.
This DOESN'T work. To properly stake the bushings you need the proper too. It first compresses the bushings and then after they are compress it flares the bushing as a seperate step. Without the proper flaring tool I don't know how it could be done properly.
I have the tool , takes about a minute but after 15 plus years I have only used it twice. Hardly worth buying one for.
Could a local shop stake them for you after you remove the old one and clean and paint the arms. Clean parts are always nicer to work with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
lsejlowe said:
It's originally an Arizona car and there isn't much for rust anywhere else, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it out without cutting. I'm not sure exactly how far I'm going to go with this project or at what point I'll just ship it off to a professional with all the right tools. At this point I'm waiting to see what the service and overhaul manuals say about the job.
The hardest part is just getting the through bolts out. If you have the trailing arms out are you going to rebuild the rear bearings. Bet they are way off as to free play.
Gary on this forum does fantastic work, he would clean, rebuild the bearings, install new bushing and paint for a very reasonable price.
He is running a post right now on rebuilding rearends.
He is a very maticulous professional.
Do it once the right way and forget it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts