Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the installation of an Underdrive Pulley from MTI, however, I've also heard of ASP. Which one do you think is better and why? Are there other brands out there that you recommend? For those that had one installed - did you see a 9 hp increase at the rear wheels as some advertise?

I've read where some people have experienced cracks in their pulley after a relatively short period of time due to poor quality of the product. Has anyone had a bad experience with an Underdrive Pulley? Please share the good, bad and the ugly.

Thanks, Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Mike,

At one time, I had thought about going with a pulley, but I decided not to speaking with some people that had them. I didn't like the idea of making my accessories run slower just to pick up some minimal power. Running a lower T-stat can achieve almost the same affect. Just my $.02

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen t-stats for 160, 170, 175 and 178 degrees. Should a certain t-stat be used based on where you live (how cold the winters get, i.e., don't recommend the use of a 160 in the northeast), or is it based on the type of modifications made to the car?

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
AlohaC5 said:
I've seen t-stats for 160, 170, 175 and 178 degrees. Should a certain t-stat be used based on where you live (how cold the winters get, i.e., don't recommend the use of a 160 in the northeast), or is it based on the type of modifications made to the car?
I ran a 160 t-stat in my 96 LT4 coupe. I drove it on nice days in the freezing cold Chicago winter, and that pup warmed up to 185 degrees as fast as it did in summer! I had no issues, hot hot hot heat out of the vents, and my mileage increased 1mpg on average.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
hey Mike,
i agree with BLM and Patrick,i modded my t-stat to make it a 180*my fan switch sucks,i'm going to get the plug in adjustable one.i am going to put a 160* t-stat in the car,but will set the fans on high at 195* and off at 180*.the reason for the 160* t-stat is i'm more comfortable knowing the t-stat is wide open when the car is warm,a 180* t-stat for my application,might modulate between half open and fully open,i think theres better control of cooling if the flow is pretty steady and the fans doing the on/off.
now all that said,as you know when driving around during the day,the a/c is always on.that keeps the fans on all the time (not high though).but the adjustable fans and low t-stat combo is a must when waiting in line at the track.:smokin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Todd,

I purchased a Hypertech 180 degree stat with the VHP Constant Monitor Fan Controller (http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=37516&dept_id=1311&mscssid=K049E457UC619PE05TEMQ2EKHUR3CXUD). I'm having Bodie do the install along with a few other items next Monday.

Different topic: Installation of a short shifter (Hurst) - I'm going to ask Bodie if he does that type of work (I'm sure he has). However, can you recommend anyone to me that has done this on a C5 or Z06? Experience with the F-bodies are great when working on the LS-1, however, I would prefer a shop that done this type of work on a Corvette.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i don't know of anyone that has done it to a vette,
my friend has a 99 trans-am ws6,he put the hurst short shifter on his,then he made a pistol grip out of wood,and modded the shaft and a couple other things to get it at the right level for his arm,he said it was pretty easy,if you want him to take a look at yours,i can set up a sunday meeting?he said it's a great mod.
of coarse your tranny's in the back of the car,his is in the front,but the shiter is in the same place.:laughing: ....:smokin:

pulley's-Da Hawaiian Punch just put the 3 piece under-driven pulleys on his car,he said there is a noticable difference thru all the rpms,for what it's worth....
his car is an 91 L98 not stock.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts