Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some where during my 3 front end alignments (long story) since December my tie rods are now not equal length. The drivers side is about 0.5" longer than the passenger side. This probably happened due to the shifting rack & pinion 0.5" to the left/riht from the flexing drivers side mount. I found out that there is no adjustment bolt on the rack to center the rack/tire rods so the tie rods must be adjusted manually to equal lengths and at the same time keeping the toe correct. So is there any issue with having them different lengths? I am thinking this would cause bump steer issues?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Some where during my 3 front end alignments (long story) since December my tie rods are now not equal length. The drivers side is about 0.5" longer than the passenger side. This probably happened due to the shifting rack & pinion 0.5" to the left/riht from the flexing drivers side mount. I found out that there is no adjustment bolt on the rack to center the rack/tire rods so the tie rods must be adjusted manually to equal lengths and at the same time keeping the toe correct. So is there any issue with having them different lengths? I am thinking this would cause bump steer issues?
.5 inches isn't enough to be an issue. They usually leave plenty of leeway (threads) for adjustments. I wouldn't worry about it. (I could be wrong on any bump steer issues, I'm sure someone else has had experience that goes beyond mine.)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The linearity of bump steer is tie rod LENGTH. This means that if you fix bump toe in and you have the tie rod length correct it also fixed the toe out.
If the tie rod length is wrong you no longer fix toe out while fixing toe in.
Our tie rods need to be about 3 inches longer then stock.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sorry, just dawned on me, steeroids....
I was very interested in the steeroids until the last lengthy thread..:lookinup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
On my install, the rods are 19 & 21" long, stock center to center...on my own rack install....makes up for the 1" to drivers side rack offset....which was done to try clearing old headers set....now that I have changed headers style/maker, it's no longer an issue, but well, it's there, so leave well enough alone allready....

I originally had the inners rods too low, and so had a nasty bump stear issue...but someone some time ago....Pete79L82 off CF, said to raise the centers, so I did, and wiped out most all of the bump stear....certainly better than stock anyway....

:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strider....sorry but that response went right over my head. Can you tell a new guy like me what you were saying as I am lost. It seems that you are saying unqual length is okay if it fixes bump steer?

I never thought about this but does anybody know if the steeriods rack when mounted is centered in that the 2 bolts that mount the tie rods to the rack are centered on the car? I had assumed that they would be centered therefore the rods should be of equal length, but maybe if the 2 mounting nuts are not centered then the rods don't need to be equal length?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Strider....sorry but that response went right over my head. Can you tell a new guy like me what you were saying as I am lost. It seems that you are saying unqual length is okay if it fixes bump steer?

I never thought about this but does anybody know if the steeriods rack when mounted is centered in that the 2 bolts that mount the tie rods to the rack are centered on the car? I had assumed that they would be centered therefore the rods should be of equal length, but maybe if the 2 mounting nuts are not centered then the rods don't need to be equal length?
Rob, I think if you look at that adaptor plate under there, the tie rods are similar length, but the plate is made so there is more of it on the pass side, and less on the driver's side....had I thought it was an issue, I could easy have done the same on my adaptor block....not worth the time and effort at this point for me....

allready redesigned this block 2x so it's on #3 now....enough allready...

:WTF :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts