Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this this moring in the News:

It’s a pretty sweet gig if you’re guaranteed $400,000 a year for hanging around and doing no work – and it’s a flaming outrage if you’re getting fat like that on the backs of the taxpayers.

Which is what some members of Locals 14 and 15 of the operating engineers are spectacularly doing on large construction sites across the city. Boiled down to the essence, a typical clause of their contracts reads:

Show up. Punch in. Walk around. Punch out. Collect 400Gs, plus a generous pension, plus an even more generous retirement annuity.

The operating engineers have jurisdiction over the heavy machinery that moves material on big projects. The multibillion-dollar reconstruction at Ground Zero is their biggest job today – and their biggest ripoff.

The Port Authority will spend $100 million over the course of three years paying through the nose for these no-work sinecures and other featherbedded positions, according to an analysis by the Real Estate Board of New York.

The two locals have documented histories of domination by organized crime. They also have the muscle to bring a high-rise construction project to a halt because nothing goes on without running cranes and hoists.

Applying that power, the locals have not only wrung huge compensation packages out of contractors, they have also preserved job titles that are obsolete thanks to advances in crane design. The Daily News reports today, for example, that 56 of 204 Local 14 and Local 15 members at the Trade Center held no-work jobs.

Funny how the "Dems" don't comment on this in public :surprised

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
It's such a slap in the face that this has taken as along as it has, to put up this tower. The bureaucracy, payoffs, backdoor deals and the political correctness surrounding this tower... shows the true depths of ineptitude of our government.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's such a slap in the face that this has taken as along as it has, to put up this tower.
It took four years to put up both of the Twin Towers. Construction started in '68, people and businesses set up shop in '72.

The tallest skyscraper in the world, cost $1.5 billion and took six years to complete.

The Freedom Tower? Construction is still ongoing after 4 years. And estimated cost is $3 billion.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Our best days truly are behind us, aren't they ?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Our best days truly are behind us, aren't they ?
No, my generation will fix all of yalls **** ups--we may listen to rap--but we're smarter than you think. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I could see that happening. But, in order for you guys to succeed where we have failed... you are going to have to denounce the social teachings from the last 30 years... and embrace a time that goes against virtually every social assumption made and held, today.

Like I said... with sharp cats like you... I could see that happening.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
No, my generation will fix all of yalls **** ups--we may listen to rap--but we're smarter than you think. :laughing:
Thanks. I needed a good laugh. :laughing:

Similar story on the radio this morning. Some small town in Calif has 13 lifeguards to monitor their pools. The lifeguards are unionized and all make in excess of $100k. Not a bad gig for sitting around a pool and staring at bewbies all day. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
$400,000 dollars a year, pension and annuity? Where do people come up with these numbers? At 40 hours a week for 52 weeks, that would be $192.30 an hour. I doubt that. At 80 hours a week for 52 weeks, that would be $96.15 an hour. I would say a crane operator in N.Y City makes $50-$60 an hour with over time $70 an hour. Just as non-union crane operators would make. To get to $400,000 someone would have to work between 5500 and 5715 hours a year. That would be between 105 to 109 hours a week. That may be possible, but to stand around and do nothing all day, I doubt that. Everybody bashes unions. Everybody says that unions stand around and do nothing and drive all the costs up. There are plenty of non-union companies building schools and bridges across this country on the tax payers dollars. They make the same amount as unions. A perfect example of union work. Look at your corvette. Union built since 1979. Local 2209. The local might have changed since then? The most bang for your buck sports car built in the world. A new base coupe, an unbelievable car. About $51,000. So in most peoples opinion that car would be half the cost if built nonunion. No. So if unions drive up the cost of everything then the C7 will be untouchable. 250 more union workers, the car is going to be $200,000 . I will admit there are some lazy union workers, just as there are in non-union fields, and in offices.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Another factless, fraud filled article supplied by hate filled pub blogs.

Just in time for the hailstorm of fictional trash for the campaign season.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
:laughing: Your generation better make ALOT of money.. because your so far in the hole you can't see daylight and you haven't even got a taste of the real world yet.

Good luck to ya. :cheers:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Another factless, fraud filled article supplied by hate filled pub blogs.

Just in time for the hailstorm of fictional trash for the campaign season.
Looks like the only factless fraud around here is you:

No-work and all pay at Ground Zero as rebuilding costs up $96 million under lax union rules........

.......On one day in mid-March, for example, contractors said 56 of 204 Local 14 and Local 15 employees on site held no-work jobs.
You can read the full story in this factless, fraud filled article in a liberal news rag here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...o_rebuild_costs_up_96m_under_union_rules.html

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
It's such a slap in the face that this has taken as along as it has, to put up this tower. The bureaucracy, payoffs, backdoor deals and the political correctness surrounding this tower... shows the true depths of ineptitude of our government.
:agree:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Looks like the only factless fraud around here is you:

You can read the full story in this factless, fraud filled article in a liberal news rag here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...o_rebuild_costs_up_96m_under_union_rules.html
If I dont get a link, with a reasonable professional journalist article on a web site with the same aspects...Garbage In, Garbage Out.

It's just that simple.
No offence meant to the OP, who is only posting up the article, because as we know, info is only as good as it's sources, the many it's passed down through repeatedly.

That aside, the article blames the mob, not unions as a whole, where as I agree it's outdated problematic union standards and rules, with possibly unreasonable pay.
I really dont have a problem with 6 figure incomes for engineers that lead projects and make sure equipment functions properly to prevent accidents.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Man I wish you in front of me... you'd get a nut check -three or four times in a row... without pause.

:nuts:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
.........and union members can't figure out why they are held in such low esteme in this country. Between over paid, non-work union members, and 30 million low paid illegals, this Republic's work force is phucked.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Man I wish you in front of me... you'd get a nut check -three or four times in a row... without pause.

:nuts:
I have no interest in digging thru hundreds of hate filled blogs with advertisements filled with gas masks, nuke bomb shelters, water filters, and ammo crates, to validate your garbage.

If you get a stiffy from villianizing 20 guys that get paid 6 figures a year, in a country filled with millions and millions and millions.... of union members that do a hard days work for a hard days pay,....

Then go ahead and grab yer pitch forks and torches and have your jealous baby finger pointing pitty party.

"You squeeze lemons.......".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I said balls... not lemons.

If this is possible... do you think the other is remotely possible ?

Union Defends 13 Calif. Lifeguards Making Over $120,000: ‘Very Fair & Very Reasonable’

“We have negotiated very fair and very reasonable salaries in conjunction with comparable positions and other cities up and down the coast,” Brent Jacobsen, president of the Lifeguard Management Association, told the Orange County Register. “Lifeguard salaries here are well within the norm of other city employees.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/uni...making-over-120000-very-fair-very-reasonable/

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I have no interest in digging thru hundreds of hate filled blogs with advertisements filled with gas masks, nuke bomb shelters, water filters, and ammo crates, to validate your garbage.
All you had to do was take three seconds to search the topic, the article I posted was the first article that came up. Rather than take that three seconds you'd rather put forth the same factless and baseless garbage you always do.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
All you had to do was take three seconds to search the topic, the article I posted was the first article that came up. Rather than take that three seconds you'd rather put forth the same factless and baseless garbage you always do.
Effort is not his strong suit, except if its surfing for Palin stories

1 - 20 of 22 Posts