Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless the plant decides not to play ball.. :laughing:

It's official: Olin ammo production to Mississippi

The Olin Corp. announced Wednesday that it will suspend production of centerfire ammunition at its plant in East Alton and re-locate the manufacturing operation to Oxford, Miss.

The move comes less than 24 hours after members of the union representing over Olin 800 workers rejected concessions that would have allowed them to keep their jobs.

"Our focus always has been on ensuring that we continue producing high-quality products for our customers in an increasingly competitive market," president and CEO Joseph D. Rupp said in a prepared statement.

"While I am disappointed that employees represented by the International Association of Machinists chose to reject a proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton, we look forward to expanding our existing operations in Mississippi."

East Alton's second-largest employer, Olin manufactures the centerfire ammunition line for firearms sold under the Winchester brand.

Developing story.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/job-watch/article_b01e72be-e782-11df-ab83-00127992bc8b.html

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
This story is stupid with out the facts of the contract offer... It is just speculation and fingerpointing...:crazy:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
now hire non-union for the new plant :partyon:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
This story is stupid with out the facts of the contract offer... It is just speculation and fingerpointing...:crazy:
Just follow the link, the offer is there. BTW not the union but the employees through the union.

Union members voted Sunday on a concessions package that reportedly included a three-year wage freeze and the elimination of vacation bonuses and a fifth week of vacation.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/article_a2feac96-db09-11df-9163-00127992bc8b.html

http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_ebcde769-54bc-5031-b4d5-e19fda6d770b.html

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Three year wage freeze sounds harsh but with national job contraction, a job with no raises is better than no job.:huh:

No fifth week of vacation? How can we expect people to work under these conditions?:thud: BTW: I only have 15 more years of service before I am eligable for a fifth week of vaction

What is a vacation bonus?:WTF

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
What is a vacation bonus?:WTF
In my company at XMas they give a cash bonus to buy gifts for your children.

The lower your income, the bigger the cash bonus. It's in the form gift checks that are usable in kiddie stores (Toy 'R Us and so on). I think some people get 300$ in gift cards, per kid, but I wouldn't know for sure. We're got the minimum which is 40$ per kid last year.

The PC word in the US is "vacation bonus", in France we just call it XMas vouchers - if you don't like it, don't take it. :thumbsup:

Fluffy.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
In my company at XMas they give a cash bonus to buy gifts for your children.

The lower your income, the bigger the cash bonus. It's in the form gift checks that are usable in kiddie stores (Toy 'R Us and so on). I think some people get 300$ in gift cards, per kid, but I wouldn't know for sure. We're got the minimum which is 40$ per kid last year.

The PC word in the US is "vacation bonus", in France we just call it XMas vouchers - if you don't like it, don't take it. :thumbsup:

Fluffy.
And people wonder why we cannot compete in the Global economy? :thud:

·
Registered
105 Posts
We had a sanyo plant in forest city, AR and the union kept saying they would strike and they wanted more money. Sanyo offered them something and the union stuck it down. They shut the plant down and moved to mexico. What is bad is most of the employees tried to settle but it was to late. Now there is a huge plant there that is empty. Wonder what the union is doing for them now?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had a sanyo plant in forest city, AR and the union kept saying they would strike and they wanted more money. Sanyo offered them something and the union stuck it down. They shut the plant down and moved to mexico. What is bad is most of the employees tried to settle but it was to late. Now there is a huge plant there that is empty. Wonder what the union is doing for them now?
Helping them to elect good liberal democrats.. with their dues.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
:laughing: No, it's deciding not to cave into the demands of thugs. :cheers:
I spent 32 years in the Union, I also have ran a business and worked in non union jobs for around 30 years. And I am sick and tired of you calling me a thug. If you want to start a war I,m ready. Unions and union people do more for the local community than any business ever did or ever will, So why don't you do a little research and see who these people you keep calling thugs really are.

That is what is wrong with this country, all the stooped ass people That read some thing, take it as truth then start spreading gossip and bull ****.

You must all be very uneducated people in how the world really works...

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I've been self-employed for 30 years. After 30 years, I still take one full week of vacation and a couple of long weekends during the year. No one pays me and I damn sure don't get a vacation bonus. I hate to say it, but I don't feel sorry for these guys. A job is a precious thing. They played with fire and got burned. :spanked:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
A job is a precious thing. They played with fire and got burned. :spanked:
Nope. To a union member a job is an expectation and all the benefits that may come with it are rights. For without the Union, society would crumble! :laughing:

Union membership is for the person lacking the drive to make a successful career for themselves on their own. Why build a life for yourself, when you can pay a thug to do it for you?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spent 32 years in the Union
Sorry.. my condolences. :cheers:

I also have ran a business and worked in non union jobs for around 30 years. And I am sick and tired of you calling me a thug.
If your a union boss, your a thug. Sorry if the truth hurts you, but that's life. Unions had a place 80 years ago.. now all they do is hurt businesses and allow human oxygen wasters to sponge off the rest of us who pay the bills. Sure, there are good people in the unions ranks, but when you lay down with snakes..

If you want to start a war I,m ready. Unions and union people do more for the local community than any business ever did or ever will, So why don't you do a little research and see who these people you keep calling thugs really are.
Your dreaming, half my family was in the defense industry and I lived by a GM plant for 20 years and know the people. Unions look out for unions, and thats the skinny. They whine and cry about wages this and benefits without any regard to the fact that they whine themselves out of jobs and soak the public at every turn.

That is what is wrong with this country, all the stooped ass people That read some thing, take it as truth then start spreading gossip and bull ****.
Well, that might be part of the problem, but a bigger part is unions who are now on the verge of bankrupting whole states, all for their thug bosses' greed. In the case of this post, the poor babies had to face a wage freeze and lose their 5th week of vacation... cry me a river. Welcome to the real world..

You must all be very uneducated people in how the world really works...
Yeah, I am uneducated in the way the world works. I do my own thing and don't try to sponge off other people until I hit the casket, and if more people paid their own way instead of using gang tactics to strongarm their living out of their fellow citizens, this country would be in better shape.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I love the way Dems name bills. "Employee Free Choice Act". It's designed to remove free choice by removing the secret ballot. In what democratic society is that considered a good thing? :crazy:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I love the way Dems name bills. "Employee Free Choice Act". It's designed to remove free choice by removing the secret ballot. In what democratic society is that considered a good thing? :crazy:
Confuse the uneducated masses! That way they'll support it. Pass it so they can find out what's in it. It's the Democrat way. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the whole, union workers are the less educated, and easiest to fool/manipulate. And on a whole, democratic voters are the less educated, and easiest to fool manipulate.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
With all due respect, unions in principle are positive. The issue is not the organization, the issue are the people who want the reins of power.

it's the same thing with politics.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.