Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unions gearing up to support Dems in November

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hrtRhfTkYo7IMhZ2fbjD6NAOyHuwD9HVAORO1

WASHINGTON — Union leaders said Wednesday they will mobilize millions of members in 26 states with a message about "economic patriotism" as they try to help Democrats hold onto their majority in the House and Senate.
The nation's largest labor federation plans to spend more than $50 million leading up to the November elections, targeting 70 House races and 18 Senate races with television ads, phone banks and leaflets.

In a response to the anti-establishment anger of Tea Party activists, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka called on voters to think about "economic patriots" and "corporate traitors."
"We're looking for leaders who will call out corporations that ship our good jobs overseas, leaders who will reject unfair trade deals, leaders who will fight for a middle class economy and put us on a path to make things in America again," Trumka said at a news conference.

The federation is also running a nonpolitical TV ad in major markets over the Labor Day weekend to boost the image of unions as organizations that help improve the lives of working people.

The help can't come soon enough for Democrats facing high voter frustration over a lingering recession and a tea party movement that has galvanized opposition to President Barack Obama and other Democratic leaders.

Some Democrats have complained that unions wasted $10 million earlier this year in an unsuccessful effort to defeat Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln in the Democratic primary. Labor leaders said it was important to show Democrats they could not take union support for granted. The move was political payback for Lincoln's refusal to support a broader health reform package and a bill that would make it easier for workers to form unions.

In his pre-election comments, Trumka framed the midterm elections as a choice between working to improve the economy under Democrats and Obama or returning to the days "when Wall Street and corporations ran wild and controlled the agenda."

Among the Democratic Party's most loyal boosters, the AFL-CIO runs one of the nation's largest and most sophisticated political operations. Union volunteers have already distributed some 2 million flyers at more than 300 work sites. Over the next two months, hundreds of union activists will talk to millions of workers going door-to-door, at work sites, by phone and mail.

One edge this year for the labor movement is better coordination with unions that broke away from the federation in 2005, said AFL-CIO political director Karen Ackerman. For the first time since the split, the AFL-CIO and the Service Employees International Union will pool resources so they can reach more voters, share lists and work more efficiently.
The combined spending with SEIU and other unaffiliated unions on congressional and other races this year could top $100 million.

But the federation is getting a bit of a late start this year compared to 2006, when they had their political operations humming several weeks earlier. Part of that had to do with their focus on a busy legislative agenda, including getting Congress to extend unemployment benefits and send money to cash-strapped states that would prevent layoffs for thousands of teachers and other public workers.

SEIU spokesman Teddy Davis said his union has budgeted $44 million for political spending this year. Most of that comes from 300,000 SEIU members who contribute an average of $7 per month for political activity. The union is mobilizing its 1.8 million members all over the country and buying TV ads and sending direct mail in 20 to 30 House districts, 8 to 10 Senate races and 15 to 20 gubernatorial races.

"The big question in this election is going to be who's looking out for you and your job versus who's standing with big banks, big oil and big insurance companies," Davis said.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
No surprises here since the union's hands are permanently locked in the "out" position and the Dems are the party of Santa Claus.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No surprises here since the union's hands are permanently locked in the "out" position and the Dems are the party of Santa Claus.
It’s amazing how things have changed … Blue Collar Workers use to be the pride and joy of the United States … many of the members here on DC, grew up in homes supplied by Union Jobs.

Now they are the ridicule of the Right, and called lazy worker who look only for handouts.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:agree:
No news here. :laughing:

I want my click back.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
It’s amazing how things have changed … Blue Collar Workers use to be the pride and joy of the United States … many of the members here on DC, grew up in homes supplied by Union Jobs.

Now they are the ridicule of the Right, and called lazy worker who look only for handouts.

Sorry, this article from today's FW Star-Telegram is still on my mind. The moron mechanics at American Airlines turned down a good contract offer because future employees won't get the same retirement benefits they do. The current system is unsustainable, and if they stick to their guns, they will probably lead the company to bankruptcy, loss of any old contracts and loss of jobs.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08/31/2437273/american-airlines-mechanics-couldnt.html

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, this article from today's FW Star-Telegram is still on my mind. The moron mechanics at American Airlines turned down a good contract offer because future employees won't get the same retirement benefits they do. The current system is unsustainable, and if they stick to their guns, they will probably lead the company to bankruptcy, loss of any old contracts and loss of jobs.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08/31/2437273/american-airlines-mechanics-couldnt.html
Unions had their time … now is not the time for Corporations to make long term commitments they can’t keep. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

It's never been about the workers. It's the union bosses... which live far and above any of the workers. You can not seem to make this differentiation... same as with any topic... you create a victim.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's never been about the workers. It's the union bosses... which live far and above any of the workers. You can not seem to make this differentiation... same as with any topic... you create a victim.
And you create the fight … I wonder why? :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Because you create the victim !!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Union workers are like gov workers, they need to shut the **** up and get a real job, like the taxpayers who support their lazy asses, in both cases.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Union workers are like gov workers, they need to shut the **** up and get a real job, like the taxpayers who support their lazy asses, in both cases.
I suppose you have your own personal Fire, Police and Emergency Services.

BTW … the next time there’s a terrorist attack … I hope it’s nowhere near you and your family.

I wouldn’t want those lazy Government workers annoying you. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Victims are not a creation … they either are victims or they are not victims. :rolleyes:
Roll your eyes all you want... you needed to create a victim to have anything to say. We state that the Union benefits and pay are to high and we tax payers are footing the bill... fix the problem ! You , in turn -turn around and charge the republicans with victimizing the workers with our concerns that we are going broke because of union contracts made by union leaders making billions combined. You CREATE a victim... not because you give a **** about the union bosses and the outlandishly high pay and benefits... or what it is doing to the nation... but because you see an opportunity to show your hatred for republicans.

Tell me where I'm wrong. (without creating a victim... bet you can't)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roll your eyes all you want... you needed to create a victim to have anything to say. We state that the Union benefits and pay are to high and we tax payers are footing the bill... fix the problem ! You , in turn -turn around and charge the republicans with victimizing the workers with our concerns that we are going broke because of union contracts made by union leaders making billions combined. You CREATE a victim... not because you give a **** about the union bosses and the outlandishly high pay and benefits... or what it is doing to the nation... but because you see an opportunity to show your hatred for republicans.

I don’t Hate Republicans or anyone for that fact.

I think it bothers you more that I care for Americans more than you.
I think it bothers you more that I include more Americans than you.
I think it bothers you more that I have more compassion for Americans than you.
I think it bothers you more that my world is growing and yours is diminishing.
I think it bothers you more that I’m in complete control and that you feel you are losing it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Victims are not a creation … they either are victims or they are not victims. :rolleyes:

I don’t Hate Republicans or anyone for that fact.

I think it bothers you more that I care for Americans more than you.
I think it bothers you more that I include more Americans than you.
I think it bothers you more that I have more compassion for Americans than you.
I think it bothers you more that my world is growing and yours is diminishing.
I think it bothers you more that I’m in complete control and that you feel you are losing it.

:cheers:
So... now you are the victim ?

Your problem is that you "think" and do not know. This guides your ideology in life. You have no answers... if it feels good... do it -damn the consequences down the road. You do this because you hate anybody with an alternate opinion... "thinking" you know better... but unable to quantify your "thinking".

Thus... you don't think you are creating a victim until someone points it out to you. Now that I repeatedly have... you think you care about things more then any others... as this is what steers your ideology... and your hate.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I have compassion for the victims too, the victims of these fuggin leeches who spend their life on the teet, the taxpayer is the only victim I will be compassionate with.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So... now you are the victim ?

Your problem is that you "think" and do not know. This guides your ideology in life. You have no answers... if it feels good... do it -damn the consequences down the road. You do this because you hate anybody with an alternate opinion... "thinking" you know better... but unable to quantify your "thinking".

Thus... you don't think you are creating a victim until someone points it out to you. Now that I repeatedly have... you think you care about things more then any others... as this is what steers your ideology... and your hate.
You're getting emotional ... ;)

You're going to get sick ... :laughing:

Dial it back a little and try to hear what I'm saying, rather than react first. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have compassion for the victims too, the victims of these fuggin leeches who spend their life on the teet, the taxpayer is the only victim I will be compassionate with.
Oviously ... I haven't made your list ... yet. :D

Where's all the anger coming from?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
You're getting emotional ... ;)

You're going to get sick ... :laughing:

Dial it back a little and try to hear what I'm saying, rather than react first. :thumbsup:
Are you so perplexed by my diagnosis that you are left with this as an answer ? Pity.

The lack of self awareness by most on the left (even after the mirror has been held up to them)... is astounding. Truth stares you in the face -and you steer around it so as not to have to confront it. -And you vote.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts