Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a universal fit aluminum radiator (19" x 31") after following an earlier thread here. I have a problem with the fit side to side. I need the radiator to go about 1/2" or so to the left (driver's side) to get it to seat comfortably in the radiator support. I understood I would have to modify my fan shroud to accommodate the lower radiator hose, but what is the deal with the side to side fit?

Here is the aluminum radiator, just sitting there, resting against some foam rubber pipe insulation so I don't ding it up on the upper control arms.

Here is a poor picture of the area that is too close. This is the left side of the radiator tank looking down.

And here's a picture of the stock Brass/Copper unit. Note the left tank is thinner on the bottom 3/4 of it.

Is it OK to shift it to the right a bit or is there some trick I am missing here?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Universal fit... won't fit anything in the universe... You may have to do a little fabricating to get a nice fit (and keep it from rubbing on anything.) How is the shroud going to mount up? Cooler lines?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a manual tranny, so no cooler lines to worry about. The universal is so-ooo close, but not quite right. I may just end up shifting it back to the right a bit and fabricating some clamps for it.
I thought someone else had done this before me?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Dewitts in my 78 is 31" wide....you may have to trim the bottom rubber supports to get rad to seat properly.(.I did..)...if I understand your issue correctly...

Rich

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's a universal fit, that often requires some custom brackets. Get some aluminum flats from the hardware store, drill a few holes, bolt it in place and you're good to go..... the stock fan shroud is most likely more difficult to fit, you don't want electric fans ??
There are dual fans off a late model F-body on ebay all the time, these should be easy to fit in there (one of my future mods) :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts

·
Banned
1,311 Posts

here is a Griffin 1.25" row radiator. It does not fit the bottom mounts at the mounting ribs. The tank is sitting on the mounts. I took a grinder and flattend out the U channel some so there was no chance the bracket would touch the tank. Then i ran a heavy bead of silicon to further insulate the bracket from the tank. I really don't see a problem with this. I did some stragetic trimming of the shroud and it fits acceptable to me.

You have to notch out clearance in the shroud to clear the lower hose attaching point.

I went to autozone and eyeballed the hoses until i found an upper i thought would fit. It works perfect. I'll get the # for you. The lower is just a 24" universal flex.

This ain't that big a deal for someone who works on cars.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
:agree: it takes some tweaking and things won't line up like stock, but it'll work for you just fine.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

here is a Griffin 1.25" row radiator. It does not fit the bottom mounts at the mounting ribs. The tank is sitting on the mounts. I took a grinder and flattend out the U channel some so there was no chance the bracket would touch the tank. Then i ran a heavy bead of silicon to further insulate the bracket from the tank. I really don't see a problem with this. I did some stragetic trimming of the shroud and it fits acceptable to me.

You have to notch out clearance in the shroud to clear the lower hose attaching point.

I went to autozone and eyeballed the hoses until i found an upper i thought would fit. It works perfect. I'll get the # for you. The lower is just a 24" universal flex.

This ain't that big a deal for someone who works on cars.
Thank you for posting this picture. I can see from the upper radiator bracket on the left that it does not fit over the tank seam, but a bit off to one side. This is just what I was looking for in the way of a response. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks again to all for your help! :cheers:

PS - Turtlevette, That hose part number would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a universal fit, that often requires some custom brackets. Get some aluminum flats from the hardware store, drill a few holes, bolt it in place and you're good to go..... the stock fan shroud is most likely more difficult to fit, you don't want electric fans ??
There are dual fans off a late model F-body on ebay all the time, these should be easy to fit in there (one of my future mods) :thumbsup:
I have both options available to me, the stock fan and shroud or a 16" 2300 cfm electric puller fan. I may end up fabricating some upper brackets just as you suggested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts