Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Awesome! What a great story. With a little massaging, this tale could be turned into a movie.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
DC was the first forum to run a story on those cars, I don't remember who was actually there though. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
So glad to hear this . . . so often there's no happy ending to stories like this.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
DC was the first forum to run a story on those cars, I don't remember who was actually there though. :laughing:
Thank You Ponch for Breaking The Rules and Bringing the Max Legacy to Life for all of us.
Your personal ancidote of getting in to photograph all past security I find most entertaining and memorable .

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Jeesh, everyone has emailed me on this.

Participating with a small team of Corvette commandos many years ago, we were able to see, touch, sit in, photograph and documented each of the 36 Corvettes. They were in TERRIBLE condition back then, and are only worse now.

At one time, the 36 Corvettes mattered to me. The '53 is worth saving, but the rest are high-mileage undesirable model Corvettes and they will never sell for what it will cost to restore them. Silly investment if you ask me.

I suspect once they get the bill for restoring the '53 (it was in ROUGH shape and missing SO MANY original parts), the rest of the Corvettes will end up on Craigslist.

End of statement.:buhbye:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sorry for spamming your FB Pat :D

Men, I almost lost my password, it's been that long since i've been here:spanked:

But yeah, finally they are moving!
Restore that '53 and give the rest away to some automotive schools and get a rest-mod build off with some cool shops or something!:thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Restore that '53 and give the rest away to some automotive schools and get a rest-mod build off with some cool shops or something!:thumbsup:
If I remember correctly that '53 had a lot of fiberglass work in the trunk area from the days when fiberglass repair was in it's infancy. When you opened the trunk it was obvious there had been some pretty major work done. It looked to me, and I'm certainly no expert, that the work had been done late 60's or early 70's.

Here is a youtube clip of some of the original news footage about the give away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLvn-tjHVA

Interview about how the contest was derived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0b5SsbpptE

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
If I remember correctly that '53 had a lot of fiberglass work in the trunk area from the days when fiberglass repair was in it's infancy. When you opened the trunk it was obvious there had been some pretty major work done. It looked to me, and I'm certainly no expert, that the work had been done late 60's or early 70's.
It definitely had some glass work in the trunk area! The door gaps were awful as well. Who knows what surprises that '53 holds.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,480 Posts
At one time, the 36 Corvettes mattered to me. The '53 is worth saving, but the rest are high-mileage undesirable model Corvettes and they will never sell for what it will cost to restore them. Silly investment if you ask me.
That;s like most restores of any car. Someone will spend 50K on a 30K car

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
It definitely had some glass work in the trunk area! The door gaps were awful as well. Who knows what surprises that '53 holds.
I have driven a '57 & '58 C1 s Patrick.
283 Power pack 4-speeds.
Thought they were fantastic driving cars.
Make an offer on one or the '53.
See what happens. Finish restoring it yourself.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Thank God they are finally out of the hands of that madman.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts