Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be run off the site if I took a driver and put a C4 suspension under it? I would really like to have a hotted up roadster to drive around on weekends.

I bought a complete 96 suspension several years ago. It has been sitting in my garage just waiting for the moment...

However, recently I have been considering just selling it like I bought it. Reality is, most of my car time seems to be directed to new production rides.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tour18, we wouldn't run ya off the site, at least not until after the tar and feathers !!!!!!

Seriously, it's your car and your decision. Since I have a numbers matching C2, I would probably not consider such extensive modifications.

If it was a non-numbers matching driver, then I would go for it, given the availablility of parts and mechanical ability to complete the project.

The bottom line is that the majority of the folks on the forum like Vettes, all kinds of them, and while some may privately disagree with what some people do to their rides, I don't think you will get beat up on here for any of your choices.

JUST DO IT :thumbsup:

And don't forget to take lots of pics of the conversion process to share with us.

:D :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I would never touch a real car. It would have to be something from a swap meet, a shell, a custom frame with an aftermarket body. I wouldn't even care if the doors didn't open... hehehe...

You know, something with a sheet aluminum interior that only looks like a Vette slot car... With a lumpity lump cam that makes dogs howl and sets off ricer car alarms when you drive by...

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I've long ago said that a c1/c2 with a modern power plant and a C4 suspension is JUST what I'll be doing when I have the time/money.

Your project sounds GREAT! Do it!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Do it!! And post lots of pictures here.:partyon:
I think that would be an awesome finished product.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
It can be a great project and a lot of fun to build as well as drive the finished product. There is quite a bit to doing it though and getting the information on what's involved up-front will give you a better handle on what you will be facing.

If you decide to build one I'd be glad to try and help along the way.

Rich Lagasse

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
I'd love to do a mid year as well. Only if it was kinda shreaded beforehand, though. However, a car as nice as Brian's (64vette) should remain as such.

Seems to be a increasingly more popular project.

I wonder if the conversion is less expensive, than say, doing a "correct" restoration project?

edit: do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brian,

From an expense standpoint you can often end up doing two projects at the same time; the conversion itself and whatever restoration is needed. It all depends on the car you have as a starting point, how much of the work you decide to do yourself and how far you want to go with the conversion.

Since most of the conversions start with a rough car, many of the same areas need to be done as with a restoration. Added to that is the cost of the suspension, drive-train, the chassis conversion and the custom pieces needed to make it all work.

It's a fun project and great for someone wanting the classic styling along with an improvement in ride and handling.

Rich Lagasse

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow guys, I never got so much encouragement from anyone or anywhere.

I was at a swap meet one day and right there in front of the whole world was a complete C4 suspension right down to the torque tube and drive shaft. I mean no grease, no grooved rotors, labels and stickers, front and rear, hub to hub, cross member, brake lines, shocks, springs swaybars and brackets, EVERYTHING.

I was driving a C4 at the time and there was no way I was going to leave without all of it.

Sometimes I set it up on the floor, put my roll around stool where a seat goes and make throttle/shifting noises just like a kid.

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Originally posted by Tour18 ...<br>

I was at a swap meet one day and right there in front of the whole world was a complete C4 suspension right down to the torque tube and drive shaft. I mean no grease, no grooved rotors, labels and stickers, front and rear, hub to hub, cross member, brake lines, shocks, springs swaybars and brackets, EVERYTHING.

I was driving a C4 at the time and there was no way I was going to leave without all of it.

Sometimes I set it up on the floor, put my roll around stool where a seat goes and make throttle/shifting noises just like a kid.

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...<br>

Thats what makes this forum so great. Lots of vette folks with lots of different ideas. Everyone respects everyone else and enjoys hearing and seeing other ideas and projects. No other forum like it.

Roll around stool. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Originally posted by Tour18 ...<br>

Guess I better get off my butt and do something with it...<br>

At least you don't break any parts that way.:excited:

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
That would be awesome there was a guy on the other forum a couple of years ago that took a 96 GS and mounted a 63 body on it...had all 96 instruments in the 63 interior. It was very sweeet!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Originally posted by 90EXPVette ...<br>
That would be awesome there was a guy on the other forum a couple of years ago that took a 96 GS and mounted a 63 body on it...had all 96 instruments in the 63 interior. It was very sweeet!<br>
I saw that car. But, that car has vanished and I haven't heard another thing about it... or seen it anywhere.

If anyone can find a web site for that car, that'd be cOOL!:cheers:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to put 63-67 roadster bodywork on something like a 53-62 tube frame for C4 suspension like SRIII Motorsports makes?

Or, why none of the frame guys are making staight up tube frames for C2's?

What I would want would be essentially a street legal race car. Aluminum interior, seats, a shifter, and a C2 Roadster body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to put 63-67 roadster bodywork on something like a 53-62 tube frame for C4 suspension like SRIII Motorsports makes?

Or, why none of the frame guys are making staight up tube frames for C2's?

What I would want would be essentially a street legal race car. Aluminum interior, seats, a shifter, and a C2 Roadster body.
Do a google search there are plenty of frames out there for those cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.