Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local mechanic quoted me $1.2k to replace my bushings and ball joints, so after looking at several DC threads and reviewing my AIM, I decided to tackle my front end rebuild on my 78 by myself this weekend. The lower control arms came off with no problem, the driver side uppoer control arm required me to loosen my fan shroud to get her out, but I can't figurie out how to get my passenger side upper control arm out. I moved my AC compressor over several inches, but there still isn't enough room to get her out. :WTF

Anyone have any suggestion?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Once the nuts are off, you can tap the bolts back through, which will give you some room so the upper A-arms don't have to slide all the way out to the end of the bolts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the nuts are off, you can tap the bolts back through, which will give you some room so the upper A-arms don't have to slide all the way out to the end of the bolts.
The bolts didn't seem to want to budge, so I ended up removing the fan and shroud. I replaced my bushings this morning, and re-installing the upper control arms should be a breeze with the extra room.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Good work. It all makes a difference when you go for your first drive after replacing those items.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Those upper studs are kurled so that may be it was hard to get them out. They need to be kurled so the stud won't loosen during alignment.

Good time to check the lower part of the support for rust if you have it out. Might have to cut grind and weld repair it.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts