Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developing story.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/2...t-philadelphia-international/?test=latestnews

Bomb on plane in UK raises concern in US
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/29/security.concern/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

(CNN) -- Some airports were on high alert Friday after investigators found a suspicious package aboard a plane flying from Yemen to Chicago when it stopped in London on Thursday night, a law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation said.

The suspicious package, which contained a "manipulated" toner cartridge, tested negative for explosive material, the source said, but it led to heightened inspection of arriving cargo flights in at least three cities -- Newark, New Jersey and Philadelphia, Pennyslvania and a UPS truck in New York.

Investigators were examining two UPS planes that landed at Philadelphia International Airport and another at Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, New Jersey, said Mike Mangot, a UPS spokesman.

Authorities are focusing on flights coming from Yemen into the United States, according to the source.

The Transportation and Security Administration said authorities were acting "out of an abundance of caution."

"The planes were moved to a remote location where they are being met by law enforcement officials and swept," the administration said in a statement.

In Philadelphia, three people aboard one plane were removed from the plane and scanned with negative results, the Philadelphia Fire Department said. The type of material that may be involved is not known, officials said.

In Newark, investigators were examining another UPS plane, said Mike Mangot, a UPS spokesman.

And a bomb squad in New York City is responding to a report of a suspected explosive device inside a package aboard a UPS truck, the deputy police commissioner said.

UPS said it is cooperating with authorities, and its shipment is being removed from the aircraft

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Your headline is a little misleading don't ya think? There is no evidence of bombs (yet), just a tampered ink cartridge-like device. Hell, I've tampered with my ink cartridges trying to squeeze out a few more pages...

We need to wait and confirm what actually is going on. Don't let the "Fear Police" take over. I know there are extremist crazies out there, mostly nutjobs who mis-interpet their holy book, however I refuse to live in fear. If we do, then they have been successful in their cause.

...off to my enhanced aiport pat down. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your headline is a little misleading don't ya think? There is no evidence of bombs (yet), just a tampered ink cartridge-like device. Hell, I've tampered with my ink cartridges trying to squeeze out a few more pages...

We need to wait and confirm what actually is going on. Don't let the "Fear Police" take over. I know there are extremist crazies out there, mostly nutjobs who mis-interpet their holy book, however I refuse to live in fear. If we do, then they have been successful in their cause.

...off to my enhanced aiport pat down. :rolleyes:
The title was a copy/paste from the CNN website at the time. Please forward all complaints to the CNN editor in chief. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. Looks like a test. :agree:

This could be ugly.

Are packages Xrayed? How does UPS find these? Amazing work by UPS finding the bad apples. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
talk about a tipping of our hand...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talk about a tipping of our hand...
I was thinking that earlier. Seems it would be wise to keep the details secret in the name of national security, but they're posting all the details and pictures on every media outlet? :crazy: All we're missing is the tracking numbers and the shipper's names. :rolleyes:

They've already announced they where shipped to some Jewish centers in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OK, in defense of CNN's original headline, bombs have now been confirmed. Hmmm, it like they knew about it, yet waited to say anything until...(there I go again with my conspiracy theories).

So, our terrorist friends from Yemin decided to make bombs and then send them UPS to Jewish centers in Chicago? This is what they are now trying?

After 9 years trying to teach democracy to a culture that is about 300 years behind modern civilization, it's time to pull the troops, lead by example and drone/smart bomb the terrorist mole rats whenever they stick their heads out of the caves or tents. I'm sorry that the women in their society are brutalized, etc., however they need to want democracy and freedom as much as we want to offer it to them. We can't force it. Let's use are western technology to sniff out and exterminate the rats while the rest of them try to get on with their lives.

Besides, we need to start focusing on the other war going on near out southern border.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
There is no terrorist threat- Michael Moore.

Terror warnings are BS- The Machine

:laughing: Don't buy the hype, Obama is just doing this to try and keep power with election day coming up fast.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I was patted in Laguardia 3 weeks ago.

It is what it is folks.

:cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Air cargo seen as weak spot in terrorism security net

Well while ya'll are patting your selves on the back for following the policy and procedure, do you think that if T o S tupid for A merica had spent more time on this instead of feeling up AMERICANS that this could be a little tighter? Of course not that would require a lack of group think... They dont check "anything that is plastic wrapped"!

It is mentioned in the article that THEY , I am assuming tsa (lower case intended) didn't feel cargo A/C were a target since that seldom carry passengers. YES passenger numbers on the A/C would be small how about collaterals on the ground on approach to the airport? Maybe just maybe they could expand their thought to realize that WHEN they blow ANY COMMERCIAL flight out of the sky folks will quit flying again..... Now just what do you think that would do to the economy? huh?

But since "it is what it is", "policy and procedure", makes you feel safe .. this this complete lack of effort to CATCH and KILL the bad guys will continue

Also to read the news from another country! note teh differences

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324948/Packages-British-airport-Dubai-DID-contain-explosives-Obama-says-credible-terror-plot.html
Bugs

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Isn't the TSA under the 'scrutiny' of Janet Incompitano? One can only wonder how much longer we will 'get lucky' while Incompitano spews the party line..."Man Made Disaster".

The only man-made disaster involved here is Incompitano.

With an administration more concerned about sueing one of it's own sovereign states and putting that states sovereignty in front of the UN along with the lack of our own border security, it's no wonder TERRORISTS (there, I said it) are feeling good about themselves. Our administration is giving them the 'Good Press'.

Oh, one more thing...
These guys are in their tents and caves doing this stuff, and watching the rally in DC to 'restore sanity'. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
There is no terrorist threat- Michael Moore.

Terror warnings are BS- The Machine

:laughing: Don't buy the hype, Obama is just doing this to try and keep power with election day coming up fast.
I truly believe these extremists hate us and everything our democratic, free western society stands for. I also truly believe that they do pose a threat with their suicide bombings and hate speech rhetoric inspired by their misinterpretation of their holy book. I also truly believe that there are many, many more attempts than we are ever made known of. Which is probably good as it means our intelligence forces are doing their job.

What bothers me is how the media always seems to get wind of these attempts around election time. :huh:

One of the costs of living in a truly free society is the fact that at any given moment, some whacked out religious zealot with a twisted comprehension of his divine purpose could strap on 50 lbs of TNT and walk into the middle of any crowd, anywhere and sacrifice himself/herself for the sake of that "cause".

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I truly believe these extremists hate us and everything our democratic, free western society stands for. I also truly believe that they do pose a threat with their suicide bombings and hate speech rhetoric inspired by their misinterpretation of their holy book. I also truly believe that there are many, many more attempts than we are ever made known of. Which is probably good as it means our intelligence forces are doing their job.
A quick tour of US History since 1960 will explain why they hate us, and how it's our own fault. Our government always has to be meddling in other peoples affairs.. until our foreign policy is fixed, we can expect more and more.

How could you not hate people who send drone into your country and blow up civilians?

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
A quick tour of US History since 1960 will explain why they hate us, and how it's our own fault. Our government always has to be meddling in other peoples affairs.. until our foreign policy is fixed, we can expect more and more.

How could you not hate people who send drone into your country and blow up civilians?
Are you proposing isolationism again? Isolationism is what let Germany over run Europe with no resistance in the late 1930's and early 1940's. Something like that can not be allowedto happen agan. Now if you'd like to tweak foreign policy I can agree with that because some parts obviously aren't working. But isolationism is not the answer.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

How can you not hate a group of fundamentalist zealots running your county and supporting (by law) the torture of your citizens and the raping/disfigurement of your women.

I haven't had my head buried in the ground over the past 40 years and I know we're generally fighting the same group we helped arm in their fight against the Soviets. I also know our government's foreign policy has not always served the rightious intent the politicians and military leaders want us to believe. However, I don't see too many other options.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Are you proposing isolationism again? Isolationism is what let Germany over run Europe with no resistance in the late 1930's and early 1940's. Something like that can not be allowedto happen agan. Now if you'd like to tweak foreign policy I can agree with that because some parts obviously aren't working. But isolationism is not the answer.
I am suggesting that the US get the **** out of everyone else's business and quits redistributing my wealth to the military machine that has brought so much grief and pain to this country, and others as well.

Yes, I am suggesting the neocon's be sidelined. Right along with the marxist and fascist. We can't be world police, it has not worked out well for us over the last 40-50 years. We have lost 1000's of young soldiers in wars and police actions, which did not need to happen.

Iraq is a great example of our military commanders failures. All that needed to happen was, go in, take down Saddam, and help the people who actually want to change the country. But no, we had to pulverize their infrastructure, destroy their military and police, make their people line up by the thousands, against us. Basically a clusterfuck. And why did we do that? So we could spend billions more, rebuilding their country.. which still hasn't happened because of no oversight and corruption. I don't like redistribution, in any form.

We spend so much on military and defense, yet we can't even beat a bunch of hut-dwellers and cavemen. We can't stop a "tiny country" from going nuclear, we can't prevent the fall of Pakistan to radicals, because at this point the radicals look like the good guys. :crazy: Afghanistan was/is not a war, it's another clusterfuck which is being mismanaged, the ROE's are written to insure our failure, and our drones are making enemies faster than Obama's approval rating is dropping.

Our foreign policy is a failure on the grandest scale. And now all the people we have screwed over are doing everything in their power to bring our style of manipulation/terror home to us.

I know Americans don't want to hear it, but it's all out there in the history to view, dissect and analyze. We are so worried about terrorism, that we spend billions, Bush expanded the government massively, but not one of these statist assholes thought to:
A: Close the borders.
B: Secure the ports.
c: Profile for the people who commit acts of terror.

Idiocracy, 50 fricking years of it have led it to this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts