Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said Wednesday that a US government effort to prosecute him should serve as a warning to journalists in the United States.

Assange, in an interview with the MSNBC television network, said there has been a "quite deliberate attempt to split off our organization from the First Amendment protections that are afforded to all publishers."

The WikiLeaks founder said he considers himself a journalist and "we all have to stick together to resist this sort of reinterpretation of the First Amendment," which guarantees the right to free speech.

"We have seen these statements, that The New York Times is, you know, also being looked at in terms of whether they have engaged in what they call 'conspiracy to commit espionage,'" he said.

"If they want to push the line that when a newspaperman talks to someone in the government about looking for things relating to potential abuses, that that is a conspiracy to commit espionage, then that's going to take out all the good government journalism that occurs in the United States," he said.

Assange added that if the "Washington authorities target us and destroy us" other journalists should be worried because "they're going to be next."

Assange rejected US Vice President Joe Biden's description of him as a "high-tech terrorist" and condemned calls for his assassination.

"The definition of terrorism is a group that uses violence or the threat of violence for political ends," he said. "Now, no one in our four-year publishing history, covering over 120 countries, has ever been physically harmed as a result of what we have done.

"Whoever the terrorists are here, it's not us," Assange said. "But we see constant threats from people... calling for my assassination, calling for the illegal kidnapping of my staff.

"What sort of message does that send about the rule of law in the United States?" he said. "I mean, if we are to have a civil society, you cannot have senior people making calls on national TV to go around the judiciary and illegally murder people -- that is incitement to commit murder."

Assange also described Bradley Manning, the US army soldier suspected of providing WikiLeaks with secret US military and diplomatic documents, as a "political prisoner."

"He has been a political prisoner without trial in the United States for some six or seven months," Assange said, adding that he did not know if the material he received was from Manning since it is submitted anonymously.

"We recently heard calls to try and set up a plea deal with Bradley Manning to testify against me, personally, to say that we engaged in some kind of conspiracy to commit espionage," he said, dismissing the charge as "absolute nonsense."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.e836e4c62736a2b3b44a8631bd54cd97.bd1&show_article=1

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I agree.

Although I may not agree with some of his choices on what choices he leaks, it is simply journalism.

The problem here is lack of security on the govt side, and whoever is responsible for leaking the security info.

not the media.

Just like the scooter, libby, plame ordeal.

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
I agree.

Although I may not agree with some of his choices on what choices he leaks, it is simply journalism.

The problem here is lack of security on the govt side, and whoever is responsible for leaking the security info.

not the media.

Just like the scooter, libby, plame ordeal.
:agree:

Freedom of speech it is the most important freedom anyone can have and like all kinds of freedom that exist there are plenty of folks who find any excuse to limit it.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Interesting take...
The press was originally guaranteed freedom of speech to act as a watchdog on the government, for the people.

The press has morphed into the 'media', and has perverted this principle through it's selective representation of the facts, omission of certain stories altogether, or just making crap up. The media has devolved into a mass of elitest transcribers that use thier outlets to sway public opnion to suit thier political agenda, instead of giving us the 'news'.

Now, when someone like WikiLeaks comes along and shines a light on the 'government' and the government seeks to 'shut him down', causes me to think the government is tyrannical and needs these secrets to keep it's power.

At first I was of the opinion WikiLeaks should be shut down, but I've changed my opinion on this. I think WikiLeaks, evn though they are a foreign entity is doing what the founding fathers had intended for the press to do in the first place. However, and this is a big however, I still find WikiLeaks reprehensible for this one fact. They are 'selectively' leaking what information they have. Again this supports the notion that they are using thier outlet to sway public opinion to thier point of view, and interviews with other WikiLeaks members support this notion. They claim they are being selective to 'protect' certain people. Therefore they should have thier name changed to WimpyLeaks. If they are to be considered a legitimate news outlet, tell us the whole story. Release all the documents and let the fur fly. Until then Assange is just s skilled marketer and NOT a true journalist as he would like us to believe.

One more thing. Assange had to know ahead of time that if he was going to shake up the system that there would be retribution. So, don't go crying in public that you're getting the shaft. Go to jail, be a political prisoner (Nelson Mandela ?), walk the walk, and give us the whole truth, not your interpretation of it. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I find it comical, that he's offended by the leak of his case records.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As someone that deals with military networks, the stuff that comes across is not stuff that should be released. It's classifed for a reason and goes through a huge ordeal to get unclassified. Some things just need to stay secret due to the nature of the report since it can hurt America publically and put people at a risk of being killed. You might called it journalism all you want, but if someone releases a report saying we have a company of marines going into a valley at a certain time of day for some reason, then they will end up getting killed. Secrets is what keeps us ahead of the rest of the world to remain a Super Power, without it we are just a nation in the dark and open to any attacks that might happen and not be prepared for. What he has done is beyond journalism in my opinion.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
However, and this is a big however, I still find WikiLeaks reprehensible for this one fact. They are 'selectively' leaking what information they have. Again this supports the notion that they are using thier outlet to sway public opinion to thier point of view,....

:laughing: why? cuase it dont ripp on the black president?

:rolling:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
:agree:

Freedom of speech it is the most important freedom anyone can have and like all kinds of freedom that exist there are plenty of folks who find any excuse to limit it.
....Like the Democrats who want to limit conservative talk radio by instituting the "Fairness Doctrine" which would surely shut down most conservative talk.

I wonder if the left would be cheering if Rush Limbaugh sat at his microphone and started reading classified military documents that might get people killed?

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
....Like the Democrats who want to limit conservative talk radio by instituting the "Fairness Doctrine" which would surely shut down most conservative talk.

I wonder if the left would be cheering if Rush Limbaugh sat at his microphone and started reading classified military documents that might get people killed?
no.

Even if it was Rush Defamating the president with birth cert discolsures, I'd still see the source of the leaks as criminal, not the big fat partisan, hate filled, racist butthole.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:laughing: why? cuase it dont ripp on the black president?

Sometimes you can't get out of your own backward predjudiced thinking. Maybe because they all should be exposed equally? Something you want above all else...equality?

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
That's a good example of an attempt to limit free speech.

Probably not, it seems the left and right shift their opinions of what is right and wrong so that they will allways be right and their opponents will always be wrong. But I'm sure most of this is just to help sell advertisements on talk shows. It would not be very entertaining if both sides shared simmilar opinions on most issues.

A few examples I can think of is how liberal themed media outlets are no longer pressing the case of leaving Iraq & Afganistan now that the president they favor has failed to act on his campaign promised. Another is how Conservative themed media outlets stress freedom, the constitution and minimal government and yet support trade restrictions, government regulation of religious affairs and placement of places of worship.

I have lots of complaints about the news and media in general but even with the poor quality of information that it provides we are still better off without government restriction and or regulation.

Here is a fine example of what happens when the government is able to control what people say:

http://search.cn.yahoo.com/search?v...ch_button&p=Tiananmen+Square+protests+of+1989

"Freedom of speech? Nobody does that!"

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I really can't show you, if you opinion is left of Reagen, then your comprehension skills are south of Homer Simpson. :huh:
You are somewhat more amicable regarding this than I am today...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts