Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a SBC 350 for my car the other day. I didn't get to hear the engine running but I kinda believe the guy saying it was a good engine & it looks to be in good working order. He said it was a Jasper rebuild & it had about 22,000 miles on it from the time it was put in til it was pulled. It had some kind of "Warranty void if removed" think stuck to one of the freeze plugs on the front. It spins freely & it looks clean under the valve covers when I pulled them off to inspect it except where they were leaking. The outside is a little oily from valve cover leaks & the intake looks old. The heads look like some type of aftermarket heads
. Should I remove the heads or anything else to check everything out before I clean it up & install it into my car? What are the normal things you guys look at before dropping it in? I plan on doing a couple things...New gasket set, double roller timing chain... What else???

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
IM always VERY SUSPICIOUS of engines that get pulled that are for sale that Ive never heard running....
ID replace the freeze plugs with BRASS ones so your not likely to need to chase leaks for a few years, ID replace the timing chain and verify the cam and lifter condition, ID suggest doing a compression test to verify theres good compression and Id listen for leaks, ID fill the coolant passages and look for coolant leaks, and ID pull the oil pan and inspect then replace the gasket with a one piece synthetic gasket, ID use an oil pump prime tool and prime the oil system looking for leaks and pressure levels, and ID be looking in the oil pan and filter for indications of excessive wear or metallic crud, with that low mileage the rings and bearings should be barely broken in, but I don,t trust many people to tell the truth on used engines Ive seen to many gullible friends buy "350" or"383" engine bargains that turned out to be either defective, well worn, or 305-307 sbc engines with a nice paint job

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=3183&p=9403#p9403

1 - 2 of 2 Posts