Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I attemped the Adam's polish drill, I thought I'd give claying a try. I watched both Adam's and JM's videos before hand and figured this was pretty simple. Soooo, armed with this freshly acquired expert advice I tackled the hood of my 14 year old Cherokee.

After I'd broken off about a third of the clay bar, I squished it flat against the windshield glass so I had a patty about like a Qtr Pounder. I hosed a section of hood with Detail Spray, applied the clay and the clay slid clear across the surface. I mean, this was SLICK. I kept rubbing the clay across a two foot square section and couldn't seem to get any traction with it at all.

After about a minute, I checked the patty and it was pretty clean. A LOT cleaner than I figured a decade and a half worth's of parking next to an airflied would have allowed, anyhow. I figured the clay would tend to pull a little at the finish to extract the dirt but it didn't until the surface was almost dry. Am I doing anything wrong or is it supposed to work best when slick?

I finished up the hood and went on to begin the polishing orgy. I still have the rest of the vehicle to do and would really apprciate any thoughts. Thanks much!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If the clay is sticking to the surface, it's not working. You need that Detail Spray lubricant. It may not feel like it's doing anything, but if you dry the area you cleaned and feel the surface, it will be unbelievably smooth and free of grit - unless there are lots of scratches and pits. Of course, the panel should be completely clean before you start so that you don't embed dirt in your clay which would make it sandpaper. You probably cleaned it, and that's why the clay looks so clean. The stuff you are removing is mostly microscopic. But with enough use, the clay will get dirty and need to be discarded. I would like to hear from Junkman how long he uses a piece of clay before he discards it. :cheers:

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
Claying is a touchy-feely process... to get the best result you have to strike a balance with the lubrication:

Just slick enough that it glides without dragging.

BUT

Not so slick that it can't make contact with the paint.

If your over lubricate the clay won't do anything as its just saturated with spray.

If you under lubricate the clay will stick, drag, and maybe mar the finish.

With all due respect to the Junk... he goes a tad heavy on the DS compared to me. Start with 1 pump over an area of about 2'x2'... start to slide the clay, if it catches, add more, if it doesn't continue to clay with that amount of lube until more is needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents,

Thanks for your thoughts. I tried the one pump of Detail Spray for 2' square area and the clay worked a LOT better. You're right, you do have to develop a 'feel' for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts