Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a false laser alarm on the V1 in the vicinity of these models. Anyone know why? Some sort of active cruise control or...?

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
No kidding?

Are these new models? On my recent 1500 mile road trip I was picking up a strange amount of laser hits w/the V1 on the highway but not a cop in sight, just normal highway traffic in both directions.

Interesting. Any thoughts on why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had an FX55 behind me, going the same direction - several laser "hits". I don't know the features on that model but suspect some sort of adaptive cruise control with a laser to measure distances? The only other source of false laser hits I know is the CHMSL on certain GM SUV's.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
im not sure if its the same car but i know some car has a feature were if your approaching something to fast and you dont hit your brakes it does it for you do you dont hit head on

maybe it was that laser that was hitting your car :huh:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
your all dead on, its the fairly new infiniti's/ nissans that have an adaptive type of cruise controll. shoots the laser type radar signals evey couple of seconds, giving you that annoying false alarm

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i dont think that you would want it if they had it. that laser signal is the same type that is used with some "instant on" radar guns. if you had them make the v1 not read those signals.... we all know what happens then b/c insant on is a bitch.
btw, do you have it in the logic mode? that filters out most other false alarms

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely have it in full logic mode, it's rare and more a curiosity that anything else. Thanks all in blue land!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Fortunately for us there aren't many of those on the road.
Unfortunately, other manufacturers will be offering systems like this very soon.

I wonder if the boys in blue will take advantage of this development? I also wonder if it causes them problems?

·
Registered
580 Posts
A friend of mine has one and I noticed my V1 sounding off when he came up behind me. They have bluetooth technology so I wonder if that is what the V1 is picking up??

·
Registered
32 Posts
http://valentine1.com/lab/Previously7.asp

Why am I getting laser alarms when I follow some cars?
- J.J., Michigan

Red neon is occasionally used for the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) on new cars. We know of these models: GM Trailblazer and Envoy, the Lincoln Mk VIII and the latest BMW 3-series convertible.

These lights use a neon-plasma light source. The red lens allows red visible light to pass, and also invisible energy near infrared. The source is powered by a pulsating voltage on a frequency that happens to be similar to the repetition rate of legitimate laser-gun pulse trains. In other words, the CHMSLs have an invisible energy leakage that’s nearly identical to the beam used by traffic laser. If we suppress the interference, we’re likely to damage laser sensitivity.

Another source of alarms: a few new cars have cruise controls that use laser to measure distance to the car ahead. This feature is available on the Lexus LS430, Infiniti FX35 and FX45. This, of course, is real laser, not a false alarm.

Mike Valentine goes by the name of "W8MM" over at the Porsche forum.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21599

The Trailblazer/Envoy thing is caused by neon in the CHMSL. It's a tough nut to crack. The ignition repetition rate is in the many kHz range, which is far outside the normal laser gun rate. However, there is a "squegging" of the neon plasma that occurs at a hundreds-per-second rate that fools the laser detection circuits, since these events repeat in the expected time range for police laser pulses. We're working on this (and have been for years), but there's nothing to report as yet.

A growing-bigger problem now seems to be laser assisted "Intelligent" cruise controls on Infinity FX35, FX45, and QX56 SUVs. What a PItA. They perfectly replicate laser speed-gun signals. We're working on that one, too!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Lexus LS430, Infiniti FX35 and FX45 owners with a V1 must be some paranoid mofos. No wonder they all drive the speed limit, in the fast lane! :laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I get a false laser alarm on the V1 in the vicinity of these models. Anyone know why? Some sort of active cruise control or...?
Get used to it. The new cars with Colision Avoidancce all emit signals similar to radar. Lasers will be used for accident avoidance starting in 09 by Lexus and Cadillac among others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts