Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at odd with my mechanic with about my power booster(hydrobooster) vs. vacuum pump. He is not fond of the Hydrobooster, and recommends a vacuum pump for serious braking(and among other things I guess). I think we are not on the same page I'm not sure about the vacuum pump can some one explains this to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FiberglasMD said:
The hydro booster is the big pancake thing on the back of most master cylinders. It uses vacuum from the motor's intake manifold to increase the braking force when ypu step on the brake pedal. The vacuum pump is used on cars that make very little vacuum because of a wilder than stock cam shaft to actually produce vacuum needed for power brake application.
That would be "The VACUUM booster is the big pancake thing..."

"Hydrobooster" uses liquid (hydro) - in the case of the hydroboost - it's the P/S Fluid.

·
Registered
746 Posts
FiberglasMD said:
The hydro booster is the big pancake thing on the back of most master cylinders. It uses vacuum from the motor's intake manifold to increase the braking force when ypu step on the brake pedal. The vacuum pump is used on cars that make very little vacuum because of a wilder than stock cam shaft to actually produce vacuum needed for power brake application.
A hydra boost is not the big pancake behind the master cylinder. You will not find hydra boost on many corvettes. 3 years ago I introduced it on Corvette Forum and since then a company has sprung up selling them at a hefty price,
They originally come off diesel trucks and vans , since a diesel do not have vacuum they used the power steering pump to assist for power brakes.
A hydra boost is as compact as the master cylinder and usually has a brass canister off on the side. It also has 3 lines on it, two from the power steering pump and one going from it to the power steering.
It is far far superior to vacuum brakes, besides being extremely compact to clear tall valve covers on the big blocks.
A vacuum unit it like the large pancake and uses engine vacuum to power assist.
Tell that mechanic that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I run a 8-71 supercharged 460 with hydraboost and I would put my brakes up against any bodies brakes and the unit used from the wrechers is only $50.

·
Registered
746 Posts
evilsmf said:
Originally posted by norvalwilhel

Yes yes that is what im looking for. Thanks! and any other advice you might have!:partyon:

evilsmf I am new here but hang around in Corvette forum. I see you have a 509 blown. I would love to see pictures. I have a 75 with a 460, 8-71 blower, twin 850 double pumpers, roller setup, 5 speed tremec, had 4.11's but found them to steep for my setup so switched back to 3.08 to try a calm 1st and 2nd down. Still goes sideways to easy in second.
I also have a 6 link and of coarse hydraboost brakes.
Once again love to see pictures.

[email protected]

Have a nice day
Norval

·
Registered
746 Posts
norvalwilhel said:
evilsmf I am new here but hang around in Corvette forum. I see you have a 509 blown. I would love to see pictures. I have a 75 with a 460, 8-71 blower, twin 850 double pumpers, roller setup, 5 speed tremec, had 4.11's but found them to steep for my setup so switched back to 3.08 to try a calm 1st and 2nd down. Still goes sideways to easy in second.
I also have a 6 link and of coarse hydraboost brakes.
Once again love to see pictures.

[email protected]

Have a nice day
Norval
Found out how to post pictures. This is a shot of my ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts